Braves and Dodgers Out

bubba phillips

The 2 best teams in the NL are out of the post-season without even making it past the division series.  Another in a long series of examples that the post-season is basically a crap shoot.

I bring this up only for the folks out there who expect the White Sox to make multiple WS appearances after this rebuild is complete.  What should we expect?

The highly optimistic  expectation:  yearly post-season appearances for the next few years. 

The realistic expectation:  compete for a post-season appearance for the next few years.

1 minute ago, bubba phillips said:

The 2 best teams in the NL are out of the post-season without even making it past the division series.  Another in a long series of examples that the post-season is basically a crap shoot.

I bring this up only for the folks out there who expect the White Sox to make multiple WS appearances after this rebuild is complete.  What should we expect?

The highly optimistic  expectation:  yearly post-season appearances for the next few years. 

The realistic expectation:  compete for a post-season appearance for the next few years.

I think the only person to say this is greg

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bubba phillips said:

I pick yearly post-season appearances.

• Haha 1

I know they haven't had a world series win in this stretch, but the Dodgers have been to the post season every year since 2014 I believe.  I'll take that kind of sustained success for the Palehose...with maybe a couple rings!! 😁

It probably did not help the Dodgers that they clinched so early.  The Cardinals and Nationals had to play meaningful games deep into the season.  The Cardinals especially came in to the post season very hot.  I won't count the Nationals out though after their thrilling comebacks in both elimination games so far these playoffs.  This NLCS should be a fun series.

As far as I am concerned going forward this post season....anyone but the friggin Yankees please!!

9 minutes ago, wegner said:

It probably did not help the Dodgers that they clinched so early.  The Cardinals and Nationals had to play meaningful games deep into the season.  The Cardinals especially came in to the post season very hot.  I won't count the Nationals out though after their thrilling comebacks in both elimination games so far these playoffs.  This NLCS should be a fun series.

As far as I am concerned going forward this post season....anyone but the friggin Yankees please!!

Yeah, pressure did wonders for the teams in the AL. The Yankees and Astros weren't all that far ahead of their 2nd place competitors, right?

16 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

I'm glad the Dodgers are out. Despite all their riches and talent they decided that upgrading their BP was too costly. So they used Kershaw in a role for which he not suited  and it backfired. This was precisely what I predicted or hoped back at the trade deadline when the Dodgers skimped on RP. Maybe Colome would've been a better choice to pitch than Joe Kelly since Kelly had a shit year.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm glad the Dodgers are out. Despite all their riches and talent they decided that upgrading their BP was too costly. So they used Kershaw in a role for which he not suited  and it backfired. This was precisely what I predicted or hoped back at the trade deadline when the Dodgers skimped on RP. Maybe Colome would've been a better choice to pitch than Joe Kelly since Kelly had a shit year.

The reality is, when you match the Nats and Dodgers, one could argue the Nats rotation is just as good, their offense is better, and their bullpen is better. The Nats also played great down the stretch, so I'm not surprised they beat the Dodgers. I am surprised that the Dodgers still trust Kershaw as much as they do in the post season. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, pressure did wonders for the teams in the AL. The Yankees and Astros weren't all that far ahead of their 2nd place competitors, right?

The Yankees own the Twins unlike any other team has been owned and the Astros were on the brink against the Rays. I don't think the original point is all that valid in this case either. I just think the Nats have just as good a roster as the Dodgers did by season's end, as did the Cardinals with the Braves, although more so on the pitching side of things. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

The reality is, when you match the Nats and Dodgers, one could argue the Nats rotation is just as good, their offense is better, and their bullpen is better. The Nats also played great down the stretch, so I'm not surprised they beat the Dodgers. I am surprised that the Dodgers still trust Kershaw as much as they do in the post season. 

I'm just wondering if the Sox talked to the Didgers at all about Colome. I know the Dodgers didn't trade for Felipe Vazquez from the Pirates because the Pirates wanted Gavin Lux in return. I wonder if the Sox asking price for Colome also didn't interest them or if they even talked.

I've had Fathom tell me Colome makes too much money to have any value and doesn't K guys but Joe Kelly is at 3 years/$25M had a negative WAR and a WHIP close to 1.4 and he's had only 1 good year in the last 4 while Colome had a WHIP close to 1.0  and 4 of last 5 years were good.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm just wondering if the Sox talked to the Didgers at all about Colome. I know the Dodgers didn't trade for Felipe Vazquez from the Pirates because the Pirates wanted Gavin Lux in return. I wonder if the Sox asking price for Colome also didn't interest them or if they even talked.

I've had Fathom tell me Colome makes too much money to have any value and doesn't K guys but Joe Kelly is at 3 years/$25M had a negative WAR and a WHIP close to 1.4 and he's had only 1 good year in the last 4 while Colome had a WHIP close to 1.0  and 4 of last 5 years were good.

Well yeah Joe Kelly doesn't have any value right now either but that's also why:

1. the free agent market remains terrible and 

2. it was really dumb by Roberts to use his pitchers the way he did.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If the Joc rumors are true, maybe the two teams didn't want to work together? This or the Dodgers trusted themselves too much because of back to back World Series appearances and the success they've had. The Cubs and Dodgers have been the top two teams in the NL for 5 years and blew ot this year by not having depending bullpen arms at the back end. Kimbrel was falling apart last year so I wasn't convinced he'd help them. 

39 minutes ago, wegner said:

Very true. Also the Braves had the chance to align their rotation to give Soroka 2 starts. Instead, they gave him game 3 and Folty got the 2 starts. The rest is history!

2 hours ago, Bad Hombre said:

Very true. Also the Braves had the chance to align their rotation to give Soroka 2 starts. Instead, they gave him game 3 and Folty got the 2 starts. The rest is history!

They hung their hat on the fact that Soroka led MLB in road ERA (about 1.75).  Also Foltynewicz recovered his magic at the end of the season and pitched liked he did last year.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Well yeah Joe Kelly doesn't have any value right now either but that's also why:

1. the free agent market remains terrible and 

2. it was really dumb by Roberts to use his pitchers the way he did.

But he did have value enough to sign that $3/25 contract when he had just 1 good year that I don't believe was quite as good as Colome's last 2. I just think Colome's current contract is fair and not a hindrance to his value especially because relievers numbers tend to be volatile and he has been pretty consistently good in spite of peripherals and K rate while closing or as a set up guy.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But he did have value enough to sign that $3/25 contract when he had just 1 good year that I don't believe was quite as good as Colome's last 2. I just think Colome's current contract is fair and not a hindrance to his value especially because relievers numbers tend to be volatile and he has been pretty consistently good in spite of peripherals and K rate while closing or as a set up guy.

I would say that Colome is slightly overpaid on a $10 million salary but not hugely so. $8-9 million is roughly a fair rate for him...and hey, that's what Kelly is being paid!

Also..."1 good year" skips the thing that got him that contract, his sub-2.0 ERA in the 2018 playoffs.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I would say that Colome is slightly overpaid on a $10 million salary but not hugely so. $8-9 million is roughly a fair rate for him...and hey, that's what Kelly is being paid!

Also..."1 good year" skips the thing that got him that contract, his sub-2.0 ERA in the 2018 playoffs.

Well if a small sample size like that get's you a decent contract more than your body of work especially 2 good years in row then the Dodgers deserved what happened to them which was my point from the beginning.

As a Dodgers fan, I can tell you... that team should be playing in the World Series. That much is obvious. Their shortcomings were largely due to the FO not adding any bullpen help at the deadline, having 5 rookies on the playoff roster and (my armchair opinion here) the manager making some questionable bullpen decisions.

However, the NL playoff bracket was just a contest to see who would lose to the Astros in the World Series.

As for the content of this thread, as long as ol Ricky is managing the Sox, I fully expect the contending White Sox team(s) to bunt their way out of the playoffs. 

Edited by Charlie Haeger's Knuckles