Team USA 2020 Olympics team has 2 Sox prospects

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Andrew Vaughn and Tyler Johnson were named to the Team USA 2020 Summer Olympics Baseball team roster.

Joe Girardi will mange the team.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/white-sox-prospects-to-represent-team-usa-as-road-to-olympics-begins-562751651.html

Forgot how fast the Olympics were approaching

Would prefer for them to both be in Chicago, but realistically they'll both be up in September of 2020 at the absolute earliest, more likely 2021

42 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Forgot how fast the Olympics were approaching

Would prefer for them to both be in Chicago, but realistically they'll both be up in September of 2020 at the absolute earliest, more likely 2021

Sox seem to be fast tracking Johnson. He might be up sooner than thought . Not sure if he starts the season in AA since he is doing very well in the 1st half of the AFL season. More likely AA but with the Olympics interrupting his season they might start him higher and after the Olympics  maybe Chicago. However that is best case scenario and I don't expect it to play out that way.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Andrew Vaughn and Tyler Johnson were named to the Team USA 2020 Summer Olympics Baseball team roster.

Joe Girardi will mange the team.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/white-sox-prospects-to-represent-team-usa-as-road-to-olympics-begins-562751651.html

Wonder if this means Girardi won't be signing with the Cubs

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think with Vaughn it will come down to how good the sox are. Vaughn will be in the minors at least till mid july and if the sox then are good he might come up but if they are 15 games out of first place it might be mid april 21 for service time reasons.

With Vaughn I think it’s about whether or not he can have elite wood bat power. I’m not concerned about his ability to hit the ball hard, but I’m not convinced he won’t be more of a doubles hitter than a huge homer guy. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

With Vaughn I think it’s about whether or not he can have elite wood bat power. I’m not concerned about his ability to hit the ball hard, but I’m not convinced he won’t be more of a doubles hitter than a huge homer guy. 

You’ve said this before many times, so why do you feel this way?  The kid has 65 / 70 grade raw power and I’m really curious as to why you think it won’t translate to game power.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

So then maybe he goes from a Josh Donaldson comp to a Nicholas Castellanos comp. 25 HR, 40-60 doubles,  .280+ average, but walks a bit more than Castellanos. That's still a 3+ WAR from a bat-only player.

I'm ok with that from our...what....5th best position player in the line-up? 

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

26 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

So then maybe he goes from a Josh Donaldson comp to a Nicholas Castellanos comp. 25 HR, 40-60 doubles,  .280+ average, but walks a bit more than Castellanos. That's still a 3+ WAR from a bat-only player.

I'm ok with that from our...what....5th best position player in the line-up? 

I think I mentioned Rendon as a comp 

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sox seem to be fast tracking Johnson. He might be up sooner than thought . Not sure if he starts the season in AA since he is doing very well in the 1st half of the AFL season.

He should've been knocking on the door to the big leagues if he didn't get injured. Was my favorite relief prospect even when Burdi, Hamilton, etc. were getting all the attention. 

To be clear, Johnson and Vaughn are playing in the November Premier 12 event in which the USA can qualify for the Olympics.  If the USA qualifies for the Olympics I'm guessing the team next summer will look very different from this one since you will have guys from this team playing in MLB at that time next year, guys knocking on the door who teams don't want to release to go play, guys who have had their play fall off that team USA won't want, etc.

19 hours ago, fathom said:

I think he'll be a hitter who hits home runs more than a home run hitter.   Fredie Freeman before the super happy fun ball.  

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think he'll be a hitter who hits home runs more than a home run hitter.   Fredie Freeman before the super happy fun ball.  

In his 2016 big breakout year he hit 34 HRs. I'm totally ok with Freeman being a good comp for Vaughn; young freeman was a solidly productive player, age 26-on Freeman has been an offensive force and an MVP candidate. 

On 10/14/2019 at 2:38 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

You’ve said this before many times, so why do you feel this way?  The kid has 65 / 70 grade raw power and I’m really curious as to why you think it won’t translate to game power.

Longenhagen has him at 60 raw which is a bit light for a top 1b prospect (60 game is good but most have raw power half to a full grade below game power so most 60 raw guys are more 50-55 game guys) however he also thinks he has the bat control to get to all of his raw power. I think Vaughn will be able to hit 30+ but he isn't a pete Alonso type of pop guy.

But if he averages 27 homers, .285 avg and a .370 obp in his prime years that would be great, basically what they got from abreu in a slightly different fashion (more walk, bit less on the power and avg).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Longenhagen has him at 60 raw which is a bit light for a top 1b prospect (60 game is good but most have raw power half to a full grade below game power so most 60 raw guys are more 50-55 game guys) however he also thinks he has the bat control to get to all of his raw power. I think Vaughn will be able to hit 30+ but he isn't a pete Alonso type of pop guy.

But if he averages 27 homers, .285 avg and a .370 obp in his prime years that would be great, basically what they got from abreu in a slightly different fashion (more walk, bit less on the power and avg).

More of a Yonder than a Pete

(hides)

• 5 weeks later...