2020 White Sox Team Builder

bmags

8 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Or how about you stop being a whiny b**** and monitoring others posts?

ive posted several off seasons with the Sox having big splash signings. This 1 I chose to do based on recent evidence of Sox free agent signings. Sorry if that triggered you 

I’m not monitoring other posts, I just get a kick when the Negative Nancy’s on this site post some ridiculously pessimistic idea and claim they actually believe it’s going to happen.  No one using any sense of logic & reasoning could honestly believe that cancerous, one win Puig will be sold as our “prized” free agent hitter addition.  This is just you being scared of another failed offseason and trying to manage expectations.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not monitoring other posts, I just get a kick when the Negative Nancy’s on this site post some ridiculously pessimistic idea and claim they actually believe it’s going to happen.  No one using any sense of logic & reasoning could honestly believe that cancerous, one win Puig will be sold as our “prized” free agent hitter addition.  This is just you being scared of another failed offseason and trying to manage expectations.

There is no reason for you to be so confident as to put others on blast. His pessimistic plan still has them signing $40 mills worth of players and some higher level in odorizzi and McHugh. It’s not that outlandish.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, wsox05 said:

I had this team. I traded McCann for a few prospects after signing Grandal. Also trading a few prospects for Brandon Nimmo. My total salary after the McCann trade would be $111.2M. 

C- Yasmani Grandal - He's on of the best catchers in the game who is a switch hitter and a very good defensive catcher

1B- Abreu

2B- Madrigal

SS- Anderson

3B- Moncada

LF- Eloy

CF- L. Robert

RF- Brandon Nimmo - Still just 27 years old and brings a left handed AB with good OBP and a solid fielder

DH- JD Martinez - A just great pure hitter who won't be a guy that struggles as the DH when coming to the Sox

Bench: Collins C/DH/1B, Brock Holt UTIL, L. Garcia UTIL, Engel OF

SP

Giolito

Zack Wheeler - Has put up very good back to back seasons for the Mets finally overcoming his injuries

Cease

Kopech

Lopez

Bullpen

Colin McHugh - McHugh is a guy that has gone back and forth from the bullpen to the rotation, better as a RP

Ian Hamilton/Jimmy Cordero/Jose Ruiz/Ryan Burr (eventually Tyler Johnson definitely takes this spot)

Fry

Will Harris - Has been a very good reliever for the Astros the last few years and definitely has a few good years left in him. Starts out as the set up man for Colome from the right side

Bummer

Hererra

Colome

Give me this lineup

1. Luis Robert CF

2. Yoan Moncada 3B

3. JD Martinez DH

4. Yasmani Grandal C

5. Eloy Jimenez LF

6. Jose Abreu 1B

7. Brandon Nimmo RF

8. Tim Anderson SS

9. Nick Madrigal 2B

You can't tell me that the lineup doesn't get you a little excited in certain areas. That team has a lot of power. 

I think they sign 1 starting pitcher and a guy that can do both, but is probably a little better in the bullpen. That's why I like McHugh as the 2nd option. To me that offense is a no brainer. 

Then with prospects like Dunning, Basabe, Zavala, Mercedes could all play a piece this season. Then there is guys like Mendick, Cordell and some relievers will also play a part. 

1 hour ago, wsox05 said:

I think they sign 1 starting pitcher and a guy that can do both, but is probably a little better in the bullpen. That's why I like McHugh as the 2nd option. To me that offense is a no brainer. 

Then with prospects like Dunning, Basabe, Zavala, Mercedes could all play a piece this season. Then there is guys like Mendick, Cordell and some relievers will also play a part. 

Their second pitcher will probably be a “redemption guy”, I don’t think others will necessarily sign on knowing they could be replaced in August.

46 minutes ago, wsox05 said:

Yeah but McHugh has always said he doesn't care either way. He knows what role he is best suited for. 

Yeah to be clear I’m pro McHugh, but deep down I’d like a heavier 1-2 punch AND McHugh and deal with offense later.

like Wheeler, keuchel and McHugh.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yeah to be clear I’m pro McHugh, but deep down I’d like a heavier 1-2 punch AND McHugh and deal with offense later.

like Wheeler, keuchel and McHugh.

I hear ya. I just don't see them doing it. With Kopech coming back and their love for Lopez, I think they just look for depth pieces. 

On 10/14/2019 at 9:48 PM, bmags said:

Seeing if this works:

If you publish to the web, you can get an embed code where you can display the Salary tab here.

This is my "max pitching" offseason. @CaliSoxFanViaSWside @wsox05 what do you think? Tendered everyone sans Yolmer, Osich, Goins.

Massive updates had to happen. Wheeler/McHugh main pitching upgrades. 

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is my "max pitching" offseason. @CaliSoxFanViaSWside @wsox05 what do you think? Tendered everyone sans Yolmer, Osich, Goins.

Plan:

Offense - 

Sign Grandal, Moustakas, Gardner:

- Give Collins audition as DH/backup C for first 2 months. Moustakas will be at 2b during that time and Grandal/McCann can share catching duties. Gardner in RF, Robert in CF/Engel to start year as CF or sign Cameron Maybin. Robert up as soon as available.

- If Collins fails, send him to AAA, move Moustakas to DH rotation with Grandal, move up Madrigal. 

Pitching:

- Sign Cole

- Sign Wheeler

- Sign Will Smith, Colin McHugh

Starting Rotation April:

- Cole

- Giolito

- Wheeler

- Cease

- Lopez

Flex starters: McHugh

Bullpen: 

CL: Alex Colome/Will Smith

SU: Colome/Smith/Bummer

MR: Fry, Bummer, McHugh, Marshall, Cordero, Burr/Banuelos/Hamilton, etc. etc. 

August Starters:

Cole, Giolito, Wheeler, Kopech, Cease

Lopez available for Cease IP limitations. Rodon to Bullpen/SP depth.

Deep pitching team, middle of road offense.

TOTAL SALARY: $119.8M

How in the world is your total salary $120M when you’re spending $130M on just free agents?  I think your file is using the previous salary amount in your total payroll calc instead of the 2020 salary amount.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Massive updates had to happen. Wheeler/McHugh main pitching upgrades. 

My thoughts are confused. I'm not that savvy to try and figure out how do do this. I've seen a few others try to get their "team" on here but looks like I'm not the only one who is struggling with it. Even you signed a bunch of guys and miscalculated the total payroll. Plus I also see $1M for Yonder Alonso and I don't know why. Wouldn't the Sox have paid him off already this year if that $1M is a buyout ?

I also think its too early to do this. I want to take a look at who is non tendered. If I tried this, even if I could figure it out. I'd probably be making at least 50 different signing scenarios since there are so many ways you can go with players and payroll.

If I had to pick just one RF it would probably be Nimmo which goes against my thoughts on trading prospects so it depends on what the Sox would have to trade for him. I'd also really like to upgrade OBP which more than likely means Grandal and Nimmo ideally which also gets a few lefties with pop if Nimmo can bounce back. You also know I like Moustaskas more for power and versatility than anything since he's not a great OBP guy. With all those guys and Abreu DH seems to be well covered,

Plus the team can go in a whole other direction if they tell Abreu he's the DH most of the time while Moose then plays 1st base with Grandal and Collins both getting time at 1st/DH/C ,

I prefer a lefty in the starting rotation but I'd be more than pleased with Cole  Strasburg Wheeler among the righties. Wood another LH option maybe on an incentive deal. Due diligence on his back medicals before you pull the trigger on him since he ended the season injured. Maybe use him as a  spot starter and long man in the pen or even a 6th /7th inning setup guy allowing Kopech /Cease to get rest in season.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

My thoughts are confused. I'm not that savvy to try and figure out how do do this. I've seen a few others try to get their "team" on here but looks like I'm not the only one who is struggling with it. Even you signed a bunch of guys and miscalculated the total payroll. Plus I also see $1M for Yonder Alonso and I don't know why. Wouldn't the Sox have paid him off already this year if that $1M is a buyout ?

I also think its too early to do this. I want to take a look at who is non tendered. If I tried this, even if I could figure it out. I'd probably be making at least 50 different signing scenarios since there are so many ways you can go with players and payroll.

If I had to pick just one RF it would probably be Nimmo which goes against my thoughts on trading prospects so it depends on what the Sox would have to trade for him. I'd also really like to upgrade OBP which more than likely means Grandal and Nimmo ideally which also gets a few lefties with pop if Nimmo can bounce back. You also know I like Moustaskas more for power and versatility than anything since he's not a great OBP guy. With all those guys and Abreu DH seems to be well covered,

Plus the team can go in a whole other direction if they tell Abreu he's the DH most of the time while Moose then plays 1st base with Grandal and Collins both getting time at 1st/DH/C ,

I prefer a lefty in the starting rotation but I'd be more than pleased with Cole  Strasburg Wheeler among the righties. Wood another LH option maybe on an incentive deal. Due diligence on his back medicals before you pull the trigger on him since he ended the season injured. Maybe use him as a  spot starter and long man in the pen or even a 6th /7th inning setup guy allowing Kopech /Cease to get rest in season.

I’m pretty sure Yonders buyout goes on the 2020 salary books at least in terms of the luxury tax calculation. He appears on spotracs 2020 salaries, but it’s possible that gets triggered when he’s DFAd

• 2 weeks later...

this is my "non-realistic offseason" thread place.

SIGN:

Cole $35 mill

Matt Moore $2.5 mill (ervin santana deal)

Jose Abreu $16 mill

Logan Morrison - minor league signing

TRADE:

Cease, Walker, Stiever for Mookie Betts (to re-sign at $40 mill/yr)

2020 salary = 131.8 mill

April Roster

C - McCann, Collins

1B - Abreu

2B - Sanchez

3B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

LF - Eloy

CF - Engel

RF - Betts

DH - Collins OR Mercedes OR Morrison

Rotation: Cole / Giolito / Kopech / Moore / ReyLo

May Roster

C - McCann/Collins

1B - Abreu

2B - Madrigal

3B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

LF - Eloy

CF - Robert

RF - Betts

DH - Mercedes/Collins/Morrison

Rotation - Cole / Giolito / Kopech / Moore / ReyLo

May Lineup

Anderson

Moncada

Betts

Eloy

Abreu

Robert

McCann

Collins

Madrigal

August Lineup

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

this is my "non-realistic offseason" thread place.

SIGN:

Cole $35 mill

Matt Moore $2.5 mill (ervin santana deal)

Jose Abreu $16 mill

Logan Morrison - minor league signing

TRADE:

Cease, Walker, Stiever for Mookie Betts (to re-sign at $40 mill/yr)

2020 salary = 131.8 mill

April Roster

C - McCann, Collins

1B - Abreu

2B - Sanchez

3B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

LF - Eloy

CF - Engel

RF - Betts

DH - Collins OR Mercedes OR Morrison

Rotation: Cole / Giolito / Kopech / Moore / ReyLo

May Roster

C - McCann/Collins

1B - Abreu

2B - Madrigal

3B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

LF - Eloy

CF - Robert

RF - Betts

DH - Mercedes/Collins/Morrison

Rotation - Cole / Giolito / Kopech / Moore / ReyLo

May Lineup

Anderson

Moncada

Betts

Eloy

Abreu

Robert

McCann

Collins

Madrigal

August Lineup

If Boston loses JDM and decide they will trade Betts, they will want MLB ready talent in return like Goldschmidt got last year.    

"A year ago, the Diamondbacks had a franchise player in Paul Goldschmidt, who had just one remaining year before reaching free agency. Arizona found a market of roughly four teams for the first baseman’s services, electing to deal him to St. Louis for two projected big league regulars — catcher Carson Kelly and pitcher Luke Weaver — along with a decent prospect with a limited ceiling (Andy Young), as well as a competitive balance draft pick. They secured multiple players ready to be solid big leaguers (even if not stars) while also deepening their prospect pool.

On one hand, Goldschmidt represented a relative bargain at $14.5 million entering the final year of his deal. Moreover, at 31, he seemed open to a long-term deal with a team that traded for him.

Still, his market was limited by his position (first base) and post-prime age. One executive surmised that Betts, even with a projected salary through arbitration of more than $27 million and a near-certain entry into free agency, might find interest level to be twice that of Goldschmidt’s given his value in center or right, creating the possibility to exceed the package garnered by Arizona."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2019/10/07/someone-gotta-assessing-trade-value-mookie-betts/JoTYwAy6YSjjOU6mBWUNFN/story.html

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

If Boston loses JDM and decide they will trade Betts, they will want MLB ready talent in return like Goldschmidt got last year.    

"A year ago, the Diamondbacks had a franchise player in Paul Goldschmidt, who had just one remaining year before reaching free agency. Arizona found a market of roughly four teams for the first baseman’s services, electing to deal him to St. Louis for two projected big league regulars — catcher Carson Kelly and pitcher Luke Weaver — along with a decent prospect with a limited ceiling (Andy Young), as well as a competitive balance draft pick. They secured multiple players ready to be solid big leaguers (even if not stars) while also deepening their prospect pool.

On one hand, Goldschmidt represented a relative bargain at $14.5 million entering the final year of his deal. Moreover, at 31, he seemed open to a long-term deal with a team that traded for him.

Still, his market was limited by his position (first base) and post-prime age. One executive surmised that Betts, even with a projected salary through arbitration of more than $27 million and a near-certain entry into free agency, might find interest level to be twice that of Goldschmidt’s given his value in center or right, creating the possibility to exceed the package garnered by Arizona."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2019/10/07/someone-gotta-assessing-trade-value-mookie-betts/JoTYwAy6YSjjOU6mBWUNFN/story.html

They'll take the best players they can get.

On 10/25/2019 at 4:50 PM, bmags said:

They'll take the best players they can get.

Not necessarily. Betts in his "hit the FA market year" may be more valuable to them in their pursuit of a playoff spot than getting a mediocre return.  I think, like the Goldschmidt trade, someone will take a flyer on Betts with MLB talent hoping to sign him long-term.  I would love him on the Sox long-term  but I would be afraid we would only be a rental stop. 

Now that their new nerd-GM is in place, decisions should be made after the series on at least JDM. I would assume Betts will not be moved till ST. 

On 10/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, bmags said:

Their second pitcher will probably be a “redemption guy”, I don’t think others will necessarily sign on knowing they could be replaced in August.

While I agree the 2nd guy might be a redemption guy. I don't agree with the 2nd part of your statement. A pitcher will sign on for wherever they think they will get a legit opportunity plus the money of course. What they do with that opportunity is up to them. Most athletes believe in their ability enough to keep negative thought in their ability such as being replaced in the 2nd half out of their minds.

Anywhere you play if you perform badly you will be replaced. There would be no reason to replace anyone performing well. If you are just ok  your role may change but that is hardly being replaced and any role can be beneficial to the team if performed well.

18 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Not necessarily. Betts in his "hit the FA market year" may be more valuable to them in their pursuit of a playoff spot than getting a mediocre return.  I think, like the Goldschmidt trade, someone will take a flyer on Betts with MLB talent hoping to sign him long-term.  I would love him on the Sox long-term  but I would be afraid we would only be a rental stop. 

Now that their new nerd-GM is in place, decisions should be made after the series on at least JDM. I would assume Betts will not be moved till ST. 

Quite frankly Goldschmidt's return was mediocre it just ended up well. The benefit in those players was they could play right away, but both were coming off bad years (not unlike cease)

In moving betts, they'll try to get the best return possible. I don't know that this will be that, but even in moving superstars, we have not seen teams depart with big packages for expiring deals even since I guess Chapman.

I have no idea how boston would value Cease, they may hate him. But he's at least a bit painful, in addition to a B-/B pitching prospect in Stiever and a B-/C+ in Walker or whomever I proposed. But whomever offers the best prospect is likely to get the trade with boston, and they could risk just keeping Betts and letting him walk but I doubt it.