Madrigal Wins Gold Glove

poppysox

I think he gets signed to an extension this spring training. He’s going to be a good player for the Sox for a long time with his glove and his ability to make contact. 

I know some people here see him as a leadoff hitter but to me, he’s the ideal nine hitter (second lead off man). 

2 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I think he gets signed to an extension this spring training. He’s going to be a good player for the Sox for a long time with his glove and his ability to make contact. 

I know some people here see him as a leadoff hitter but to me, he’s the ideal nine hitter (second lead off man). 

#1…#2 or #9 depending on managers style.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I see him as a 9 man.  I want Robert leading off a la Springer and Acuna.

6 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I see him as a 9 man.  I want Robert leading off a la Springer and Acuna.

I couldn’t agree more. Robert fits the profile of the new lead off man perfectly. His speed and power combo is something I’d like to see at the top of the lineup. 

9. Madrigal

1. Robert

2. Moncada

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poppysox said:

#1…#2 or #9 depending on managers style.

I’ve put the Sox players into lineup optimizers that I could find online. I’ve ran simulations with just internal options and I’ve ran simulations with guys like Martínez, Grandal, Nimmo, and Dickerson added. One thing is consistent in all the best possible lineups for the Sox regardless of who’s in the lineup, Madrigal is batting ninth. 

Madrigal isn’t a run producer, so he shouldn’t be batting in top of the order. I’d rather make sure guys like Moncada and Robert get more PAs than Madrigal. I think batting him ninth allows him to be another table setter and give guys like Robert and Moncada more RBI opportunities. 

14 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I couldn’t agree more. Robert fits the profile of the new lead off man perfectly. His speed and power combo is something I’d like to see at the top of the lineup. 

9. Madrigal

1. Robert

2. Moncada

This is the lineup for me if we dont sign a stud DH:
1. Madrigal
2. Robert
3. Moncada
4. Eloy
5. Abreu / Replaced by Vaughn in 2021
6. DH
7. Anderson
8. McCann (regression reasons)
9. RF FA - some semblence of Speed and contact. 

If we sign a Stud DH or Grandal...Madrigal moves to ninth and everyone shifts forward 1 and Grandal Moves behind Abreu

Edited by EloyJenkins

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

This is the lineup for me if we dont a stud DH:
1. Madrigal
2. Robert
3. Moncada
4. Eloy
5. Abreu / Replaced by Vaughn in 2021
6. DH
7. Anderson
8. McCann (regression reasons)
9. RF FA - some semblence of Speed and contact. 

Batting Moncada third is a waste. The third hitter gets a lot of at bats with no one on base. 

19 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

You have anything to back that up?

It's fairly well known in saber studies.  The 3rd spot is massively over rated.  You should probably put your 3rd worst hitter there or even 2nd worst.  The key is to not have a lot of automatic outs in a row.  Most teams put 7,8,9 as their worst and not only is that like giving the pitcher a free inning it also rarely sets the table for you best hitters, which should be usually 1,2,4,5,6.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

It's fairly well known in saber studies.  The 3rd spot is massively over rated.  You should probably put your 3rd worst hitter there or even 2nd worst.  The key is to not have a lot of automatic outs in a row.  Most teams put 7,8,9 as their worst and not only is that like giving the pitcher a free inning it also rarely sets the table for you best hitters, which should be usually 1,2,4,5,6.

Wouldn't it also depend on how stacked your lineup actually is? The lineup has so much potential to have a legit talent at every spot. So your 3 worst hitters hitting 7-8-9 could still be quite good.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

9. Madrigal

1. Robert

2. Moncada

I completely agree here. Ideally for me it would be 

1. Robert

2. Moncada

4. Eloy

8. Anderson

9. Madrigal

But yes he will win multiple GG in his career. 

10 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Wouldn't it also depend on how stacked your lineup actually is? The lineup has so much potential to have a legit talent at every spot. So your 3 worst hitters hitting 7-8-9 could still be quite good.

Possibly, above my pay grade.  But to be fair the same studies basically showed the delta between an optimized lineup and one that is completely optimized is 10 runs.  So basically one win, at absolute most.

2 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Batting Moncada third is a waste. The third hitter gets a lot of at bats with no one on base. 

Our lineup is strong 1 thru 9.  Wherever he bats there will frequently be people on.  Nice problems making out this lineup.

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Our lineup is strong 1 thru 9.  Wherever he bats there will frequently be people on.  Nice problems making out this lineup.

As it stands now, it's not strong 1-9. They still need to find a DH and a RF, and who knows how Robert will fare when he arrives. He could struggle out of the gate. Same with Madrigal.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

What???

You should bat your second worst hitter in a position that has the third most at bats? That's absurd. 

Your best hitter should likely hit 2nd. 

No one argues that a bad hitter should be hitting 3rd. They just argue that 2nd and 4th have more value. Some argue 5th over 3rd too but theres really not much difference between the two and id give more at bats over more opportunities with runners on base.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1