Will Strasburg opt out? thread

Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If he opts out, he's most likely looking for a 4/5 year deal with close to $30M AAV. Even though it's a shorter deal, would you take him over Cole with all his injury history?

That would be a big NO for me.

He's been healthy for 2 seasons. I'd rather have Strasburg on a 5 year $28-30 AAV deal than Cole on a 7-8 year $32-35 AAV deal, despite Cole being 2 years younger. 

• Haha 2

His agent is Scott Boras...4 year deals....😂.

Dude is getting 5-7 years at 30mil per minimum if he leads his team to world series win if his pitching stays as strong as it has been. I said it in another thread...In his first 6 post season starts, he has the 2nd best numbers EVER...only behind Koufax. Boras will make a 12 page binder about that alone.

Edited by EloyJenkins

7 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

His agent is Scott Boras...4 year deals....😂.

Dude is getting 5-7 years at 30mil per minimum if he leads his team to world series win if his pitching stays as strong as it has been. I said it in another thread...In his first 6 post season starts, he has the 2nd best numbers EVER...only behind Koufax. Boras will make a 12 page binder about that alone.

His stuff is absolutely phenomenal.  I'll take either one and roll the dice. Both could have their arms fall off, but I like Stephen's build just a bit better. If I had to pick of the two, I'd probably take whomever was willing to take less years, but I'm agnostic in general.  If I were in charge of the Sox, I'd go heavy for one of Cole/Stras as I think they need a true TOR arm and I'd also look hard at JDM/Rendon on offense.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

The idea that strasburg will be a bargain over Cole is crazy. Dude will get 8 years if he opts out. He wouldn’t opt out for a 5 year deal.

Nobody with a brain would give Strasburg more than 6 years, and even that is generous. He opts out to gain $30-40M to his bank account. 

If they're talking about similar length/money to Cole then that shifts the priority. 

If I had to predict his contract it would be 5/$140M

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nobody with a brain would give Strasburg more than 6 years, and even that is generous. He opts out to gain $30-40M to his bank account. 

If they're talking about similar length/money to Cole then that shifts the priority. 

If you had to guess you think he will sign for the same amount as Patrick corbin. I’ll take the over

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

5/$140 for Strasburg seems like a serious bargain. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think with all the teams who will be seeking pitching, one team will go seven years to seal the deal. All the big boys want pitching, as do the Sox and Twins. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

If you had to guess you think he will sign for the same amount as Patrick corbin. I’ll take the over

Corbin is younger and got an extra year. 

Sale got 5/150 and he's the same age, had less of an injury history, is left handed and a better pitcher when healthy.

If you think Strasburg is getting more than Sale did last winter you're nuts. 

The Chris Sale deal is Strasburg's ceiling. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Corbin is younger and got an extra year. 

Sale got 5/150 and he's the same age, had less of an injury history, is left handed and a better pitcher when healthy.

If you think Strasburg is getting more than Sale did last winter you're nuts. 

The Chris Sale deal is Strasburg's ceiling. 

Sale never reached free agency, he agreed to a somewhat team friendly extension.

I actually agree with Parkman here. 

Stras would get about 5-160 if he opts out. Maybe you find a taker for a 6th year for 175 or so, but I'd be shocked if he got 7 or 8 years. That's a big no from me dawgg.

Stras injury history is scary and he's older. I'd probably sign him before Cole myself as well. He has proven he can pitch when his stuff diminished 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

I can't see the Sox paying for Strasburg or Cole.  I'm not in love with Wheeler and his 1.3 WHIP and pedestrian ERA, though he is certainly an upgrade, I honestly don't understand all the love for him.

Ryu maybe a good target.  A bit older and injury concerns, thought that may keep his price down.  His results have been nothing short of great.  I think he or Keuchel are much more realistic targets.  Though who knows, maybe the Dodgers decide they want to keep him, then he all of a sudden becomes very expensive. 

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

I can't see the Sox paying for Strasburg or Cole.  I'm not in love with Wheeler and his 1.3 WHIP and pedestrian ERA, though he is certainly an upgrade, I honestly don't understand all the love for him.

Ryu maybe a good target.  A bit older and injury concerns, thought that may keep his price down.  His results have been nothing short of great.  I think he or Keuchel are much more realistic targets.  Though who knows, maybe the Dodgers decide they want to keep him, then he all of a sudden becomes very expensive. 

Ryu on a high AAV short term deal is interesting but I think he’ll just end back up in LA.

• Like 1