Joe Borchard

Jim Fainter

Originally posted by Jim Fainter

Is this kid overrated?  I just don't see the stats to back up his press.  Too many strikeouts, etc.  You know the drill.  Compare him to Crede, who hit every year and showed improvement that any Sox executive could see......If he played in the bigs in 2003, I don't think he would hit .200.

He's been in the minor leagues for two seasons now (I think) and he's already been up to the big leagues late in 2002 where, in limited action, he hit around .210 with 2 HR's and 5 RBI's (I think). Borchard himself has said that he knows he needs more time in the minor leagues to "shorten his swing." Being able to compete at the major league level doesn't come over night..... ask Joe Crede. I can't figure out why posters on this board are ready to pull the plug on this guy after only one month in the big leagues.

Is this kid overrated?  I just don't see the stats to back up his press.  Too many strikeouts, etc.  You know the drill.  Compare him to Crede, who hit every year and showed improvement that any Sox executive could see......If he played in the bigs in 2003, I don't think he would hit .200.

Joe Crede is the real thing and everyone here knows that but JB has yet to show us anything. I think he will be the real deal but until he starts hitting Im not promising anything.

Originally posted by Cerbaho-WG

Right now, Joe and Mark Texiera are the best power prospects in the game. He'll be fine.

I hope you're right, the guy has a lot of raw talent. I don't want him to be another Chad Hermanson, a guy the Pirates thought a lot of but just couldn't quite get over the hump. They are both similar players.

Originally posted by soxfan420

i just have a hunch besides what has he done to make you think he was a high prospect

Like RPS said when we were talking last night..... "JB is 6' 6" and runs like he's 5' 8"," he's a good CF right now with above average fundamentals (things like range, hitting the cut-off man, working on getting better jumps on the ball, etc.), he's been in the minor league's for about 2 years now and will, most likely, start 2003 in AAA (how many prospects have gone to AAA and the ML's in less than 2 season's?), he acknowledges his shortcomings and is willing to do whatever it takes to become a better baseball player (said he wants to shorten his swing), he hits for power..... I can go on.

If you have a hunch soxfan420, that's ok. I had a hunch the Ritchie would blow up in our faces last season but didn't have the stats at hand to prove otherwise till the season began. It's just that some on this board have seen him bat 4 times and are ready to write him off. If that's the case, there would be very few MLB players in the league today..... there aren't too many players that live up to the hype overnight. You have to give a guy like Borchard, who I think will be one of the premier OF's in the ML's by 2006, time to develop.

Originally posted by CubKilla

i think joey b is way overrated he will probally be a nothing unfournatly:(

Why? Like I ask of Roman, what have you seen in a month to a month and a half of MLB play from Borchard to label him "a nothing?"

I never said hed be a flop, I just said nothing is guaranteed from him yet. You guys will make him a bust by giving him such high expectations. If he hits 25 bombs instead of 40 (like most of yall seem to think) you will see him as a failure. Let him be whoever he will be and stop making these darn expectations!

Also, you forgot to mention how good his arm is...if you are a QB for Stanford, you must have a pretty damn good arm....which, if we open up a spot for Maggs to take LF, could put Borchard in RF...can you imagine having an arm as strong as Maggs' in LF? Let alone his defense, which when compared to Carlos is frickin gold glove.

He's got the arm, he's got good fundamentals, as you said, he's shown he can hit for power(he had 20 homers last year and he was out for the first month with a broken foot), and he's a switch hitter.

We got a kid that will be good....he'll feel no pressure....he'll be a kid that can hit well in a lineup that is among the best in the league...if he doesn't succeed, the others in the lineup will.

Originally posted by theoldroman

I never said hed be a flop, I just said nothing is guaranteed from him yet. You guys will make him a bust by giving him such high expectations. If he hits 25 bombs instead of 40 (like most of yall seem to think) you will see him as a failure. Let him be whoever he will be and stop making these darn expectations!

If he hits 25 homers instead of 40 homers, I wouldn't care....it's like saying if Frank Thomas hits 30 homers instead of hitting 40 homers, you are going to be disappointed. The casual fan may be disappointed, but I for one would not be....I still don't see how Thomas's past season was bad...he hit .250 with 28 homers and 92 RBI...not bad, considering he was coming off an injury. Yet most people were disappointed.

If all he ever did was hit 25 homers, he'd still be a good player....and he'd play good defense and hit those 25 homers from both sides of the plate.

Odds are, however, he won't just hit 25 homers...he probably will be one of the bright stars of the future. End of story.

I wasnt dissappointed with Thomas last year. Everybody thinks those are bad numbers for him but guys like Jeromy Burnitz have great seasons with those numbers. The people who thought Thomas was bad last year were the people who set his expectations.

And Im not setting any expectations yet. When and if he gets here and starts hitting then I will see what we have and I will assess.

I was disappointed by Frank last year.

He didn't do anything for a long time.

Remember how clueless he was at the plate?

It was pathetic at times as pointed out by Hawk on TV.

That said, he finished nicely and alledegly is working his ass off for this season.

If true, great. I'm glad we kept him.

I'd rather have him have a tremendous season with us than somebody else, cause if we let him go you know we wouldn't replace him with squat since Reinsdork is so cheap.

greg....you basically summed up how I feel, though the way I'd say it would be slightly different.

I'd rather see Frank do s***ty for us than see him do great for another team.

I gotta hunch we will get the old Frank back....it's just a hunch though.

Originally posted by witesoxfan
Originally posted by theoldroman

And Im not setting any expectations yet.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

2003 "conservative" predictions

You haven't set any expectations yet? That's what those look like to me.

You see how low my expectations are? I should correct myself. Im not setting any AS expectations. Except for the Sox WS thing (I dont have the guts to predict us as losers) none of my ecpectations are very high. I have Joe hitting what, .250 with 12 bombs? Thats low. Im not saying hes going to hit 40 or anything. But now my predictions cease. Expectations cause failure, thats my new motto.

Olivo hitting 14 homers isn't exceeding it a bit? Thomas hitting 36 or Konerko hitting 34? Buehrle - 23-7 2.93? Garland - 15-8 3.78? 98-64? The most they will win, with engines going at all cylinders and this team playing the best ball it's ever played, is 105...and that's with the starting going great, the offense going great, the bullpen going great, the defense making very few errors and the ones they do make aren't costly, and the magic working all year long....and the most we'd win is 105....odds are, atleast 2 of those will fail, most likely the starting and the defense, and the magic may or may not be there....we'll only be guarenteed two things going into next year, and one of those shouldn't even be guaranteed(the bullpen)...unless we make the right moves for it, we're done for there....those moves will cost atleast 20 games from the 105 possible wins and it could be more.

Don't expect more than 90 wins...there's a realistic expectation for next year.

Guest hotsoxchick1

90?? in all honesty i dont even expect that much........not unless a miracle happens and we pick up an excellent pitcher somewhere along the way to help us out........i have a feeling we are going to hover right about where we left off last season.......trying to make it to .500 ball and staying there.......

I don't think Borchard is ready as of yet. Put him in the bigs this year and he'll probably hit something between .230 and .240 with 20 hr's and a ton of strikeouts, maybe even 200. He'd also have a good amount of walks.

Still, this guy is the real deal. He has a good eye, just a long swing, but he has unbelievable power and is a great defensive player with a gun.

He should hit 40 hr's a year with ease at the major league level once he develops. The guy has sick power. The problem is, he's got to shorten that swing and the White Sox have to put that as their #1 priority this season down in AAA. You get Borchard swing shortened, like they did with Crede, and he will be ready in a year.

Originally posted by SI1020
Originally posted by Cerbaho-WG

Right now, Joe and Mark Texiera are the best power prospects in the game. He'll be fine.

I hope you're right, the guy has a lot of raw talent. I don't want him to be another Chad Hermanson, a guy the Pirates thought a lot of but just couldn't quite get over the hump. They are both similar players.

I don't know Hermansons minor league numbers, but I don't quite thing he ever showed the power that Joe has shown. Also, Joe didn't really play baseball full time until 2 years ago, so he still has a lot of growing to do.

I know he played it a lot, but how much can you concentrate on it, when your also a starting quarterback.

i just have a hunch besides what has he done to make you think he was a high prospect

His first year he hit very well, showing power, rbi's and a good avg (.280 something if I recall).

Last year he wasn't as good, but he was also working on his swing a lot more and still has a long ways to go. Once he's ready though, he'll be damn good. The stupidest thing the Sox could do is throw this guy to the majors right now and make him work on his swing in the majors. Give this guy one more season, thats all he needs and he'll be ready to play (I'm not talking instant sucess, but he'll have some huge games)