Joe Borchard

Jim Fainter

Originally posted by CubKilla

Like RPS said when we were talking last night..... "JB is 6' 6" and runs like he's 5' 8"," he's a good CF right now with above average fundamentals (things like range, hitting the cut-off man, working on getting better jumps on the ball, etc.), he's been in the minor league's for about 2 years now and will, most likely, start 2003 in AAA (how many prospects have gone to AAA and the ML's in less than 2 season's?), he acknowledges his shortcomings and is willing to do whatever it takes to become a better baseball player (said he wants to shorten his swing), he hits for power..... I can go on.

If you have a hunch soxfan420, that's ok. I had a hunch the Ritchie would blow up in our faces last season but didn't have the stats at hand to prove otherwise till the season began. It's just that some on this board have seen him bat 4 times and are ready to write him off. If that's the case, there would be very few MLB players in the league today..... there aren't too many players that live up to the hype overnight. You have to give a guy like Borchard, who I think will be one of the premier OF's in the ML's by 2006, time to develop.

I remember many were blowing Crede off when he started off so slow. Now Crede has yet to make it for real, but he was damn impressive last season and showed he had a real live bat.

I'm excited to see what he does in his first full season. But we all got to remember, prospects take time to develop, you don't become a superstar overnight.

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

90?? in all honesty i dont even expect that much........not unless a miracle happens and we pick up an excellent pitcher somewhere along the way to help us out........i have a feeling we are going to hover right about where we left off last season.......trying to make it to .500 ball and staying there.......

This team could win a whole lot, or they could just fall right around what they were the past two seasons. I don't see them doing worse then that though, because this years team is better then last years and the year befores team. We are a more solid team all the way around. Better defensive players, such as Jimenez at 2nd over Ray, Crede at 3rd, Olivo behind the plate, an improved Carlos, etc.

We also have more experienced pitching. The staff is basically the same, but more mature, plus Jon Rauch, and the bullpen is very deep.

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

90?? in all honesty i dont even expect that much........not unless a miracle happens and we pick up an excellent pitcher somewhere along the way to help us out........i have a feeling we are going to hover right about where we left off last season.......trying to make it to .500 ball and staying there.......

I don't expect to win 90....I said just told him not to expect more than that....I'm expecting somewhere in the range of 85-90, but not necessarily 90.

However, this is a team that could win 90 or 95 games....I've said it since September and I'll say it again....this next year will feel a little like 2000....Buehrle is a very good pitcher, and we all know that....Garland will improve his numbers this year over last year, winning 15-18 games, 18 if he pitches out of his mind(which he could do)....Wright will improve a little and Biddle and Rauch will both pitch decently, if they start, that is. Biddle has had some success as mainly a starter, and Rauch has no ceiling as a pitcher...if the word is true that he has incredible stuff and knows how to pitch, than he could be a ROY canidate. Add that and a good bullpen along with a pretty good young lineup, and we have the makings of a very good team.

I expect an improvement of last year, and hopefully by about 5 games....and one last interesting point that I have forgotten to mention....the Sox pythagorean W-L for 2002 was 86-76....and the Twins pythagorean W-L for 2002 was 86-75, as they had a rainout with Detroit that was not made up.....so the teams, last year, even with the Sox struggling as much as they did, still finished rather closely statistically to the Twins than what showed up in the actual W-L.

Guest hotsoxchick1

guys those are all good reasons for us to win.. but face it .. this team lacks what the 2000 team had and that is chemistry, heart and desire....it was a fun season in 2000 and even the players had a ton of fun... but with kw on board its become more of a hostile enviroment with everyone watching their backs as well as their mouths... untill they figure out how to bring the fun back onto the field i dont see them going very far.......