2019 World Series

flavum

7 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

except for the pitching in the post season and an era under 7

Always hear about those players from Latin America coming in under $300k being not worth their attention...this is exactly the type of player the White Sox used to be able to unearth before the Hahn Era (see Quintana, Jose.)

Urquidy has demonstrated the best control and command in the system since the Astros purchased him from the Mexican League's Mexico City Red Devils for $100,000 in 2015. After missing all of 2017 following Tommy John surgery, he made a successful return last season and starred in the Carolina League playoffs as high Class A Buies Creek won the championship. He has continued to pound the strike zone while making the jump from Double-A to the big leagues in 2019.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jose-urquidy-664353?stats=career-r-pitching-Mlb

https://sports.yahoo.com/suzyn-waldman-yankees-astros-roberto-osuna-brandon-taubman-005108584.html

Yankees announcer Suzyn Waldman says she hasn't watched World Series due to Astros' lying

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Yankees announcer Suzyn Waldman says she hasn't watched World Series due to Astros' lying

Who? Also, who cares?

Seriously, this controversy is idiotic. Taubman wasn’t seriously yelling is support of domestic violence. He was sarcastically and excitedly supporting the acquisition because the dude’s meltdown paved the way for one of the most epic moments in team (and MLB) history. Just like one of us might have shouted, “I fucking love Bobby Jenks” in the wild moments after Scotty Pods’ home run.

But because we’ve inserted this inane context, everybody’s now focused on this stupid outrage culture bullshit, and on all of the idiot nobodies whom we absolutely must know are sitting this out in protest, rather than a baseball series that is shaping up to be pretty great.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:33 AM, The Sir said:

That’s probably the stupidest article I’ve ever read.

First off, you could find discussions on the causes of World War I that aren’t as long. Yet Hannah dashes in to the fray to write 17 paragraphs about her idiotic feelings.

Second, this Vox-style explanatory journalism needs to end already. The one remotely intelligent thing this lady writes is this: “My job is to see and hear things and then relay them to the public.”

Great point! So do that. If I want a complex situation explained to me (and the firing of Brandon Taubman is not such a situation), I’ll find an appropriate expert. Journalists have no real talent to offer beyond writing ability, and from what I’ve seen, somebody who sends professional emails in the armed forces or corporate America probably does that better anyhow.

Fuck the haters. Go ‘Stros!

You should probably save your canned anti-journalism screed for a situation where it actually fits the article written.  The author is not trying to explain a "complex situation," (which you curiously admit yourself in the same breath you're accusing her of doing so).  It's actually pretty simple.  She's taking issue with the Astros' ownership reflexively calling first-hand witnesses to a situation liars before investigating the facts and figuring out that they were, in fact, telling the truth.  That this was their first impulse, and that they only reversed themselves after public pressure to do so, makes one question their organizational culture and ability to deal with like situations in circumstances with less public scrutiny.  Not a difficult leap. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

You should probably save your canned anti-journalism screed for a situation where it actually fits the article written.  The author is not trying to explain a "complex situation," (which you curiously admit yourself in the same breath you're accusing her of doing so).  It's actually pretty simple.  She's taking issue with the Astros' ownership reflexively calling first-hand witnesses to a situation liars before investigating the facts and figuring out that they were, in fact, telling the truth.  That this was their first impulse, and that they only reversed themselves after public pressure to do so, makes one question their organizational culture and ability to deal with like situations in circumstances with less public scrutiny.  Not a difficult leap. 

Uh huh. She wrote 17 paragraphs about it. And you're correct- it's not a complex situation. Taubman did something that was taken out of context by a couple of reporters who doubtfully produced any actual sports benefit by being in the locker room, the Astros denied it, and then they reversed course and fired the guy. It is simple. Yet this lady approached it like she was analyzing the Great Depression.

You're free to disagree. I still don't want people who majored in journalism trying to explain things to me. I'll come up with my own conclusions based on the objective details of what actually happened.

17 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Uh huh. She wrote 17 paragraphs about it. And you're correct- it's not a complex situation. Taubman did something that was taken out of context by a couple of reporters who doubtfully produced any actual sports benefit by being in the locker room, the Astros denied it, and then they reversed course and fired the guy. It is simple. Yet this lady approached it like she was analyzing the Great Depression.

You're free to disagree. I still don't want people who majored in journalism trying to explain things to me. I'll come up with my own conclusions based on the objective details of what actually happened.

:lolhitting

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I’m sure the Astros are relieved that presidential politics (see current CNN headlines)  has once again taken some of the spotlight off their own shenanigans.

Christ Almighty. Is it your desire to politicize absolutely everything? The controversy was stupid, the articles were stupid, and no, there is NO chance the Astros, who are one game away from winning the World Series, care how political events in this country affect coverage of their own actions. Can you actually just talk baseball? I think this place did ban political discussion, and honestly, it's for the better. Go comment at CNN if that interests you so much.

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

The mental gymnastics you had to do to get to this place is pretty unreal. 

Eh. I've got more thoughts on this, but I'll silence them so this thread doesn't get further politicized.

Who wants to talk about how the Astros are going to destroy the Nats and win it all tomorrow night?