White Sox listed as interested in Marcel Ozuna by Dominican Reporter

Orlando

12 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Obviously hes hot getting that. But Gomez has Sox sources right? Forgot what he had broke about them but it was a couple big things. Then he was wrong in Machado but I guess right to an extent in that they were the only player for him until they werent.

I don't think he was really wrong about Machado. He seemed like he was going to sign here. If Padres don't jump in last minute, he's in Chicago.

6 minutes ago, Sockin said:

This seems like the type of signing where he goes to the AL and puts up career lows. Plus he is a clown on defense. Give me JD 10/10 times if we're going this route. 

He's clearly good, but for him the margin between good and bad is very thin. His offense isn't elite, it's good. His defense is bad. If his offense regresses, he's bad.

He's a guy I just don't feel I would think "well RF is now solved for years", and so it's hard to want to give him that 4 year deal.

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

There's exactly two teams on that list I think are even a remote possibility.

Yeah it's big list of rebuilding teams. If he has no serious teams as his suitors that's not good for him getting the amount he wants.

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

If the answer is "not that much worse", sign JDM instead.

Edit: I guess we have an answer lol

Ozuna was at 2 DRS this year in 130 games.  JDM was -7 in 300 innings. Ozuna isn't good in the outfield, but I don't think he's nearly as bad as some people make out. JD should be unplayable

Edited by mqr

Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

I actually think Ozuna could end up being a decent value for us if he has a pick attached to him and has a soft market like many think he will. 

If we could plug Ozuna into RF for 3/48 would anyone be upset?

That would be better, obviously but he’s going to get closer to 4/$80 due to his age, past breakouts and the dearth of quality position players on the market.  

Anything less than $65-70 million total would be a bit shocking.  

He’s simply not going to get a deal quite similar to Melky Cabrera’s from a half decade ago.

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I actually think Ozuna could end up being a decent value for us if he has a pick attached to him and has a soft market like many think he will. 

3/$48?! Hell no, would love that, but not sure I see that happening...Dude's not an MVP, but a very good player, although no AL experience (Dunn, LaRoche, Frazier)

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah it's big list of rebuilding teams. If he has no serious teams as his suitors that's not good for him getting the amount he wants.

'He's looking for this much money, here is a list of teams that would never give him that in a million years'

9 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I think if his market dips that much, you have to be interested.  But I think you still to acquire a LH hitting OF that can play RF most days with Ozuna at DH, and occasionally in RF/LF. 

9 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I'm hesitant to commit $80 million to Ozuna, but I'll totally go with that deal and if it blows up I'll call it a gamble I'd do again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That would be better, obviously but he’s going to get closer to 4/$80 due to his age, past breakouts and the dearth of quality position players on the market.  

Anything less than $65-70 million total would be a bit shocking.  

He’s simply not going to get a deal quite similar to Melky Cabrera’s from a half decade ago.

Yeah we’ll see...won’t shock me if he gets $80M just because he may be the best OF’er available. But I also feel like most of the MLB has smartened up when it comes to throwing $ around, especially when draft picks are attached too. Can’t forget most teams are going to put a $ amount to that pick that will only hurt Ozuna. 

Take away 2017 and it’s hard to argue that Ozuna is anything other than above average...are there many teams willing to pay an above average OF’er $17+M over 3/4 years years? Maybe, the market is never easy to predict year to year