White Sox listed as interested in Marcel Ozuna by Dominican Reporter

Orlando

12 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

Honestly I'd rather have Avi Garcia at significantly less $$ and years.

Ozuna a superior player, but I was for A) never losing Avi and now B) signing Avi...Brings power and a solid bat to this lineup, potential DH/backup RF?

My ideal realistic offseason consisted off adding 2 of Hamels, Q, Miley, Avi, and Alex Gordon...along with bringing back Abreu

SS Anderson
3B Moncada
CF Robert
1B Abreu
LF Eloy
DH Avi
RF Gordon
C McCann/Collins
2B Madrigal

With Yolmer, Leury and...Holt? off the bench

Super fun to think about...And maybe, just maybe, we can have somewhat of a consistent lineup finally

Gio-Hamels-Miley-Cease-Lopez with Kopech and Rodon coming back and Dunning at some point is super fun too

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Ozuna a superior player, but I was for A) never losing Avi and now B) signing Avi...Brings power and a solid bat to this lineup, potential DH/backup RF?

My ideal realistic offseason consisted off adding 2 of Hamels, Q, Miley, Avi, and Alex Gordon...along with bringing back Abreu

SS Anderson
3B Moncada
CF Robert
1B Abreu
LF Eloy
DH Avi
RF Gordon
C McCann/Collins
2B Madrigal

Super fun to think about...And maybe, just maybe, we can have somewhat of a consistent lineup finally

Gio-Hamels-Miley-Cease-Lopez with Kopech and Rodon coming back and Dunning at some point is super fun too

I don't think that team you just described is "super fun to think about".  I think it is an 80 win team at best.  The Sox need to supplement this team with at least 2-3 well above average players.  Hamels, Miley, Avi and Gordon do not that fit that bill.   That offseason would get a giant D from me.  

7 minutes ago, daggins said:

I am not reading anything into the $ number or the years, that is a bad projection by a largely anonymous writer. Contracts are getting smaller, not larger, especially for middling guys like Ozuna.

Totally agree, and an offseason reminder that players can ask for whatever they want. Doesn’t mean they’ll find a match.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think that team you just described is "super fun to think about".  I think it is an 80 win team at best.  The Sox need to supplement this team with at least 2-3 well above average players.  Hamels, Miley, Avi and Gordon do not that fit that bill.   That offseason would get a giant D from me.  

Just realistically don't see JR spending 9 digits on anyone (Cole, Strasburg, Rendon, Ozuna, JDM), we shall see however

Short term starters that we can compete with now, affordably would be major
Also, Alex Gordon is a short term affordable upgrade in RF and to the lineup that KW and Hahn previously targeted
Avi provides this lineup with more pop, and better depth

All of this while holding onto top prospects, not overpaying anyone, and not committing to anyone long term with blue chip prospects (Kopech, Robert, Madrigal, Vaughn) ready to be infused soon

While I would love Cole and Strasburg, I don't see it happening
Rendon I don't see leaving WSH, nor do I view as a necessity with our long term IF set
Ozuna we'll see on, don't want to lock him until he's 35 nor overpay him
JDM I'm not even sure will be available
Wheeler I don't want to overpay to be a very good # 4 or a solid #3

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

SS Anderson
3B Moncada
CF Robert
1B Abreu
LF Eloy
DH Avi
RF Gordon
C McCann/Collins
2B Madrigal

Sounds like a terrible team

25 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Just realistically don't see JR spending 9 digits on anyone (Cole, Strasburg, Rendon, Ozuna, JDM), we shall see however

Also, Alex Gordon is a short term affordable upgrade in RF and to the lineup that KW and Hahn previously targeted

All of this while holding onto top prospects, not overpaying anyone, and not committing to anyone long term with blue chip prospects (Kopech, Robert, Madrigal, Vaughn) ready to be infused soon

Rendon I don't see leaving WSH, nor do I view as a necessity with our long term IF set

That roster you proposed is likely under 90 million dollars.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I don't see Cole, Strasburg or Rendon happening either.  But there is a solid group of FA after those three before you get the dumpster diving you're pushing for.  Plus, Ozuna and JDM are not getting 9 figure deals.  

The Sox need to sign one of Grandal or JD Martinez.  A big bat has to happen.  They need to sign a SP just below the tier of Cole/Strasburg - whether that is Wheeler, or Bumgarner, or Ryu, they all work.  After that, I am OK filling in the gaps with guys like Hamels, Miley, Alex Gordon/Kole Calhoun/Dickerson/Gardner, etc., but they need to add two of the ten or so FA, or this is never going to work.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

SS Anderson
3B Moncada
CF Robert
1B Abreu
LF Eloy
DH Avi
RF Gordon
C McCann/Collins
2B Madrigal

If that's our offseason...I'm disappointed and a bit upset.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't see Cole, Strasburg or Rendon happening either.  But there is a solid group of FA after those three before you get the dumpster diving you're pushing for.  Plus, Ozuna and JDM are not getting 9 figure deals.  

The Sox need to sign one of Grandal or JD Martinez.  A big bat has to happen.  They need to sign a SP just below the tier of Cole/Strasburg - whether that is Wheeler, or Bumgarner, or Ryu, they all work.  After that, I am OK filling in the gaps with guys like Hamels, Miley, Alex Gordon/Kole Calhoun/Dickerson/Gardner, etc., but they need to add two of the ten or so FA, or this is never going to work.  

I can get behind Grandal and would like JDM on short term 100%, not even sure JDM will be available however

Wheeler will be overpaid and I hope it isn't by us
Ryu is an injury waiting to happen, we need innings eaten not IL spots taken, and also don't want a 33 year old pitcher for too long
MadBum's best days are behind him

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

If that's our offseason...I'm disappointed and a bit upset.

That's the White Sox way baby

3 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Wheeler was 15th overall in fWAR amongst starters.  In what world is that even close to a very good #4 starter?

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

It’s really this simple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wheeler was 15th overall in fWAR amongst starters.  In what world is that even close to a very good #4 starter?

That 3.96 ERA doesn't deserve to be overpaid to me

You look at the two WS teams right now, or most contending teams, and Zach Wheeler is their 3-4

Sox will get their eventually with Kopech-Gio-Cease, but the cheaper, shorter term options should tie us over

1 minute ago, ChiSoxJon said:

That 3.96 ERA doesn't deserve to be overpaid to me

You look at the two WS teams right now, or most contending teams, and Zach Wheeler is their 3-4

Sox will get their eventually with Kopech-Gio-Cease, but the cheaper, shorter term options should tie us over

Then you’re punting 2020 and putting the rest of the rebuild at risk if even one of those guys fails to develop.  And the two World Series teams account for six of the top 15 fWAR starters.  Two other teams had two and four teams had one (including us).  Wheeler is probably the best starter on a dozen teams and the second best starter on another dozen teams.  Hopefully he’s not our ace, but we it would be great to add a guy with TOR potential to the three guys you listed so we have some options if someone were to get hurt or bust.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Then you’re punting 2020 and putting the rest of the rebuild at risk if even one of those guys fails to develop.  And the two World Series teams account for six of the top 15 fWAR starters.  Two other teams had two and four teams had one (including us).  Wheeler is probably the best starter on a dozen teams and the second best starter on another dozen teams.  Hopefully he’s not our ace, but we it would be great to add a guy with TOR potential to the three guys you listed so we have some options if someone were to get hurt or bust.

Wheeler is the best combination of age, potential/stuff and present performance.

Which means he’s likely to be in the $100 million neighborhood or higher.

He’s also likely to be one of the few pitchers who you could theoretically count on over the next 4-5 years, as opposed to shorter term guys like Bumgarner, Ryu, Keuchel and Hamels.

Getting Wheeler and then someone on the Wacha/Wood (past performer with major ?’s) would be about the best we can expect.

Everything else fails...we need to at least subtract pitchers without a QO from the Twins...there are four to choose from, although it’s possible/probable they offer one to Odorizzi to mitigate depth losses.

Not in love with the idea of trading assets for Boyd or Syndegaard without knowing what 2020 will bring with our current starting pitcher depth chart.

30 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Wheeler is the best combination of age, potential/stuff and present performance.

Which means he’s likely to be in the $100 million neighborhood or higher.

He’s also likely to be one of the few pitchers who you could theoretically count on over the next 4-5 years, as opposed to shorter term guys like Bumgarner, Ryu, Keuchel and Hamels.

Getting Wheeler and then someone on the Wacha/Wood (past performer with major ?’s) would be about the best we can expect.

Everything else fails...we need to at least subtract pitchers without a QO from the Twins...there are four to choose from, although it’s possible/probable they offer one to Odorizzi to mitigate depth losses.

Not in love with the idea of trading assets for Boyd or Syndegaard without knowing what 2020 will bring with our current starting pitcher depth chart.

Fully agree on Wheeler, but don’t think we should be adding pitchers we don’t necessarily like simply to hurt the Twins.  Let other teams do that for us.