White Sox listed as interested in Marcel Ozuna by Dominican Reporter

Orlando

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fully agree on Wheeler, but don’t think we should be adding pitchers we don’t necessarily like simply to hurt the Twins.  Let other teams do that for us.

See Kenny Rogers in 2003 and Jim Thome in 2010.

All other things being equal...if you lose out on your main targets and you're looking at Odorizzi (without the QO), then you have to strongly consider it.

It's not like we shouldn't have plenty of scouting insight and Don Cooper-isms on Jake, Gibson, Pineda and Martin Perez...after facing them so often.

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

I agree with the Avi talk. I'd rather sign Avi cheaply and use what you save on Ozuna on another piece.

Same with me. I wouldn't even be comfortable with the Sox giving him $80 mil, let alone $160 mil. That's crazy. Avi might be the better option, then use the bulk of the cash on JD Martinez and starting pitching.

I will say that Ozuna’s bat is significantly underrated around here.  His wxOBA last year was .379, for reference the best players are right around .400 and league average is .318.  Two good comps would be Harper at .388 and Acura at .387, which shows how good of a hitter he really is.  Also, Statcast believes he was really unlucky last year and that he was actually a better hitter than he was in 2017 when he put up a 143 wRC+ season.

The problem with Ozuna is defense.  If his arm hasn’t returned to form, his ability to play RF is compromised.  And even then, it sounds like he’s a fundamentally poor OF despite what certain metrics might suggest.  I wouldn’t necessarily hate his addition if the price was right (and he was willing to DH some), but I would definitely Grandal & JDM over him.

Defending the ball is as important as hitting it.  Ozuna doesn't do either well enough to merit 16 million salary.   Avi has limited range with an outstanding arm.  He hits for average and has good power.  Probably does the whole job as well as Ozuna for half the money.  I'm not campaigning for Avi as much as being unimpressed with Ozuna.  I would prefer Pederson or Calhoun over either.

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Avi lol.

Sox fans have lost their minds.

I get that people don't like Avi, but the simple fact is that he is a major upgrade over what the Sox trotted out this season, and he is far from the worst option available.  He also just played a pretty significant role on a playoff team.  While he isn't a perfect player, he hit 25 2B and 20 HR last year with an OPS just about .800.  If you are dismissing that guy because of a previous bias, that is foolish.  By both bWAR and fWAR, Avi was about a 2 WAR player last season.  Are you trying to tell me the Sox don't have room for that?  I'd love to hear the explanation.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I get that people don't like Avi, but the simple fact is that he is a major upgrade over what the Sox trotted out this season, and he is far from the worst option available.  He also just played a pretty significant role on a playoff team.  While he isn't a perfect player, he hit 25 2B and 20 HR last year with an OPS just about .800.  If you are dismissing that guy because of a previous bias, that is foolish.  By both bWAR and fWAR, Avi was about a 2 WAR player last season.  Are you trying to tell me the Sox don't have room for that?  I'd love to hear the explanation.  

They can do better than oft injured, poor defending 1.5 WAR true talent players that are entering FA.  If he had put up the same 1.8 fWAR on the Sox (.340 BABIP) while missing another 40 games  people would be paying his freight out of town.

Grass is always greener or something.  

Edited by chitownsportsfan

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They can do better than oft injured, poor defending 1.5 WAR true talent players that are entering FA.  If he had put up the same 1.8 fWAR on the Sox (.340 BABIP) while missing another 40 games  people would be paying his freight out of town.

Grass is always greener or something.  

The biggest problem with Avi is you have to tell me who is going to take the 150-400 plate appearances he can't take because of injury, and he's not an obvious platoon guy since his stats are well balanced.

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

I'm dismissing him because hes not good. The Ray's platooned him, playing him strictly when he was most likely to succeed - and he still didnt touch 2 WAR in over 500 AB's.

In 5 big league seasons he has a 6.2 WAR. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The biggest problem with Avi is you have to tell me who is going to take the 150-400 plate appearances he can't take because of injury, and he's not an obvious platoon guy since his stats are well balanced.

There's a lot of problems with Avi but that's the biggest one.  He's not good enough on a rate basis to bother with given you expect him to miss 30-40 games every year.  

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm dismissing him because hes not good. The Ray's platooned him, playing him strictly when he was most likely to succeed - and he still didnt touch 2 WAR in over 500 AB's.

In 5 big league seasons he has a 6.2 WAR. 

So 500 PAs in platooning him?  Seems pretty regular.  I mean, granted I didn't watch a ton of Rays games, but that seems like everyday ABs.  Onlly 3 guys on the Rays had more.  And he had exactly 2 bWAR... but that is splitting hairs.  Is this also conceding that the Sox aren't smart enough to platoon him? 

And yeah, 6.2 WAR for his career, but 6.1 of it over his last 3 seasons.  

He isn't perfect, and not the best player, but he is certainly an upgrade.  That said, I don't think there is any chance it happens.  

Sorry, I guess I just wish I could be as smart as you are.

• Love 1

Ozuna made some loud, bone-headed plays this year (including the absolute instant classic where he climbed the fence and the ball ended up landing in front of the warning track) that are dragging both his numbers and reputation down, but his ability and track record suggest he’s perfectly serviceable out there going forward. He’s not too far removed from being a solid CF, and is a former gold glover, for whatever that’s worth (not much, admittedly). Not a plus anymore, but not a problem.

Now, $160 million? GTFO 

But at 5/$75M or so, I can see him satisfying the White Sox free agent craving for declining 2.5WAR position players rather nicely.

Edited by Eminor3rd

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

Ozuna made some loud, bone-headed plays this year (including the absolute instant classic where he climbed the fence and the ball ended up landing in front of the warning track) that are dragging both his numbers and reputation down, but his ability and track record suggest he’s perfectly serviceable out there going forward. He’s not too far removed from being a solid CF, and is a former gold gloves for whatever that’s worth (not much, admittedly). Not a plus anymore, but not a problem.

Now, $160 million? GTFO 

But at 5/$75M or so, I can see him satisfying the White Sox free agent craving for declining 2.5WAR position players rather nicely.

Are there any metrics that show arm strength?  If he could still throw, I’d be far more interested in him on a deal like you’re proposing.

5 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

So 500 PAs in platooning him?  Seems pretty regular.  I mean, granted I didn't watch a ton of Rays games, but that seems like everyday ABs.  Onlly 3 guys on the Rays had more.  And he had exactly 2 bWAR... but that is splitting hairs.  Is this also conceding that the Sox aren't smart enough to platoon him? 

And yeah, 6.2 WAR for his career, but 6.1 of it over his last 3 seasons.  

He isn't perfect, and not the best player, but he is certainly an upgrade.  That said, I don't think there is any chance it happens.  

Sorry, I guess I just wish I could be as smart as you are.

The Sox arent in a position to be signing a platoon based RF'er. 

6.1 over 3 seasons isn't good. No need for your snarky last sentence.