White Sox listed as interested in Marcel Ozuna by Dominican Reporter

Orlando

59 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So you completely ignore the idea of Moose and Grandal being the other LH options while thinking a 1 year stop gap in RF has to be LH ? Avi might be no worse defender in RF than Ozuna or Dickerson or even Gardner if you take his arm into consideration and familiarity with our park. Hell TB even played him in CF for 11 games . You need to get over the non tendering because he wasn't very good thing. 2 of the last 3 years he's been good. That means a lot more than anything earlier in his career. He is hitting more fly balls than ever and is also a better fielding now than before.

Feel free to keep pushing for Avi if you'd like.  Its a waste of time.  The Sox aren't going to bring Avi back, and would be happy to wager just about anything on that.  

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Feel free to keep pushing for Avi if you'd like.  Its a waste of time.  The Sox aren't going to bring Avi back, and would be happy to wager just about anything on that.  

Not pushing for him just don't see him as a bad option if it comes to saving money or prospects.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 2:26 PM, ChiSox59 said:

It is truly amazing to me that there are people that think bringing Avi Garcia back would actually be a solution.  

I must be an exception. I've always loved Avi and of course want him back. There have been absolutely no rumblings that that could occur. My hope is he  continues to fare well in Tampa.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

I must be an exception. I've always loved Avi and of course want him back. There have been absolutely no rumblings that that could occur. My hope is he  continues to fare well in Tampa.

He's a FA, Greg.  Chances are he is not with Tampa again next season.  

18 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not pushing for him just don't see him as a bad option if it comes to saving money or prospects.

I hear ya.  I guess if the Sox go balls to the walls and sign Cole/Strasburg, Wheeler, Grandal, Moustakas, and re-sign Abreu, sure I'd be fine with Avi out in RF.  But even in that scenario I'd probably just prefer to roll with Leury in RF.  I just don't really see many realistic scenarios that involve Avisail Garcia coming back to the White Sox this offseason.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

He's a FA, Greg.  Chances are he is not with Tampa again next season.  

I hear ya.  I guess if the Sox go balls to the walls and sign Cole/Strasburg, Wheeler, Grandal, Moustakas, and re-sign Abreu, sure I'd be fine with Avi out in RF.  But even in that scenario I'd probably just prefer to roll with Leury in RF.  I just don't really see many realistic scenarios that involve Avisail Garcia coming back to the White Sox this offseason.  

It doesn't even have to be balls to the wall. You really think the Sox can/will add $60+M worth of payroll this winter  and if they do how will they spread that money around ? If you had to choose what you think the payroll will be ? Is it closer to $125M or $150M ? Realistically how far does $60M go this off season assuming part of that starting point of $65M includes Abreu.

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Are you that down on Lopez that you're ready to throw him away/into the bullpen?

Not speaking for him, but I would put Lopez in the bullpen. OR let it be known he's on his last leg as a starter, and if he has a bad April....But we're obviously not getting both Cole and Wheeler. We'll be lucky to get one of them.

11 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Are you that down on Lopez that you're ready to throw him away/into the bullpen?

I'm neither up or down on Lopez.  He still needs to show me some consistency.  Things happen in 162 games.  Kopech and Rodon won't be ready at the bell and who knows the innings Cease or Lopez can handle.  Can't have to much pitching.

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

My actual point was that if we spend at the top of market at 3 of  the four positions of need (2 starting pitchers/RF/DH)...it's quite possible we bargain shop the fourth position.  None of us know the actual budget so we are left to guess if we are dumpster diving or shopping on Rodeo Drive.

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

I'm neither up or down on Lopez.  He still needs to show me some consistency.  Things happen in 162 games.  Kopech and Rodon won't be ready at the bell and who knows the innings Cease or Lopez can handle.  Can't have to much pitching.

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

My actual point was that if we spend at the top of market at 3 of  the four positions of need (2 starting pitchers/RF/DH)...it's quite possible we bargain shop the fourth position.  None of us know the actual budget so we are left to guess if we are dumpster diving or shopping on Rodeo Drive.

Rodon won’t be ready but Kopech might. I’m ok with bringing in someone like Nova or Teheran as a 6th starter to open the year, but we have enough needs elsewhere that I can’t justify 2 big pitching signings unless we have totally given up on Lopez, and frankly he was good enough last season to be a 5th starter if he shows no extra improvement.

Put Lopez in the rotation, give me one big pitching signing, and then fill the RF and DH spots.

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Rodon won’t be ready but Kopech might. I’m ok with bringing in someone like Nova or Teheran as a 6th starter to open the year, but we have enough needs elsewhere that I can’t justify 2 big pitching signings unless we have totally given up on Lopez, and frankly he was good enough last season to be a 5th starter if he shows no extra improvement.

Put Lopez in the rotation, give me one big pitching signing, and then fill the RF and DH spots.

That may be enough if Kopech comes back strong or at least the best use of available funds.  I'm holding out hope that JR decides this is the year to return our payroll to top ten status.  Extensions and which free agents are pursued will determine if 160 - 170 will be enough.  I do hope that JR is willing to go to that level.  In this era of 6 or 7 innings starts and new rules requiring relievers face 3 hitters...bullpen upgrades might be more useful than that second starter.

That may be enough if Kopech comes back strong or at least the best use of available funds.  I'm holding out hope that JR decides this is the year to return our payroll to top ten status.  Extensions and which free agents are pursued will determine if 160 - 170 will be enough.  I do hope that JR is willing to go to that level.  In this era of 6 or 7 innings starts and new rules requiring relievers face 3 hitters...bullpen upgrades might be more useful than that second starter.

I'd say "There's no way our payroll goes that high" except I also said there's no way our payroll goes past $120 million in 2015 and then they signed Cabrera to go nearly to $130 million, so I'm not going to even try to guess their payroll limits. Skeptical about that level, but no idea.

But, if they were willing to go that high, in order, I solve:
1 starting pitcher
RF and DH
Bullpen
Bench
6th starter

Getting 2 top flight starters is way down my list, to the point of it seeming like a bad buy given the presence of 4 other reasonable starters even before Rodon returns from injury. If you're gonna spend that much money, go fill the RF and DH spots and let's see what we can do with that lineup.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd say "There's no way our payroll goes that high" except I also said there's no way our payroll goes past $120 million in 2015 and then they signed Cabrera to go nearly to $130 million, so I'm not going to even try to guess their payroll limits. Skeptical about that level, but no idea.

But, if they were willing to go that high, in order, I solve:
1 starting pitcher
RF and DH
Bullpen
Bench
6th starter

Getting 2 top flight starters is way down my list, to the point of it seeming like a bad buy given the presence of 4 other reasonable starters even before Rodon returns from injury. If you're gonna spend that much money, go fill the RF and DH spots and let's see what we can do with that lineup.

I don't think a $120 million payroll fits "the money will be there" promise  made to the fans.  Making the top 9 or 10 payrolls is not really a stretch...approximately $160.  Enough for the starters, RF, DH, Pen needs we keep talking about without penny pinching.

51 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't think a $120 million payroll fits "the money will be there" promise  made to the fans.  Making the top 9 or 10 payrolls is not really a stretch...approximately $160.  Enough for the starters, RF, DH, Pen needs we keep talking about without penny pinching.

I'm not gonna tell you your wrong as it's entirely possible they could afford a payroll above $160.

I will ask what will you do if they run into this season with a $120 million payroll.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm not gonna tell you your wrong as it's entirely possible they could afford a payroll above $160.

I will ask what will you do if they run into this season with a $120 million payroll.

Wait until next year...this was just our get back to slightly above .500 year.

Need to see what all the injured pitchers and Lopez will do first, there will always be some excuse with this regime.

Or it will be the old “market rates for the premier talent we wanted were just too high...so we’re saving our powder to extend the competitive window of the young core (Moncada/Giolito/Robert/Madrigal) instead.

8 hours ago, poppysox said:

You’re talking about spending $90 million in 1 off season...at some point you have to realize how unrealistic that sounds . If you want to have hope that the payroll will be $160M after next off season that’s 1 thing, but are you really expecting the front off season to put together a World Series competing team in 1 off season? 

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I will be disappointed in management...but undoubtedly will try to spin myself on the new acquisitions being just what we need.  Such is the nature of being a fan.  I do think RH is a smart guy who is surrounded by people who have spent their lives in baseball.  These guys know the rosters of all 30 teams inside and out.  How can any of us think we know better who they should sign?

20 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Kopech has been chomping at the bit to pitch and will be more than ready. Nova is almost as important because he is an IP horse. There are other challenging issues to address. One of them is pitching depth with the rest of the staff. If they can sign a quality SP it would be a big plus on a team that seems to run out of pitchers. Lopez Gio and Cease with one more young guy thrown in to the mix would look pretty good to round things out. Rodon I am not counting on for much. 

I will be disappointed in management...but undoubtedly will try to spin myself on the new acquisitions being just what we need.  Such is the nature of being a fan.  I do think RH is a smart guy who is surrounded by people who have spent their lives in baseball.  These guys know the rosters of all 30 teams inside and out.  How can any of us think we know better who they should sign?

Because quite simply their track record is awful. You could have done better. A trained monkey throwing darts could have done better.