White Sox listed as interested in Marcel Ozuna by Dominican Reporter

Orlando

7 hours ago, pcq said:

Kopech has been chomping at the bit to pitch and will be more than ready. Nova is almost as important because he is an IP horse. There are other challenging issues to address. One of them is pitching depth with the rest of the staff. If they can sign a quality SP it would be a big plus on a team that seems to run out of pitchers. Lopez Gio and Cease with one more young guy thrown in to the mix would look pretty good to round things out. Rodon I am not counting on for much. 

Why are you assuming Nova would be back?

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Great.  Blow your money there and not on Grandal, Reds.   

I'd much rather sign Grandal than get involved in 4-5 years on Ozuna due to his age. Take away Ozuna's 2017 and he's been a solid, but fairly ordinary, corner OF. He also does not play RF.

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

I'd much rather sign Grandal than get involved in 4-5 years on Ozuna due to his age. Take away Ozuna's 2017 and he's been a solid, but fairly ordinary, corner OF. He also does not play RF.

Right. I want pretty much nothing to do with Ozuna unless his market collapses. 

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Age comment is a little off base, but the rest of the points are spot on. 

My point was not to enter into a long term pact with Ozuna merely because he’s relatively young. Aside from 2017 he has been solid, but unspectacular. 

some team will throw him 5 years and it shouldn’t be us 

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Ozuna doesn't have much experience in RF as you might think. He could be an adventure out there. https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/ozunama01.shtml

I am under the impression that Ozuna doesn't have the arm for RF anymore. I can't substantiate that but if memory serves he's had some arm issues.

Ozuna for DH? Sure.  For RF, dear lord no.  I'm still scared off by NL hitters coming over to the AL since Dunn, LaRoche, etc.  At least he's got age on his side, but I wouldn't offer more than $15MM per, but he's going to be the one in this class that will be grossly overpaid IMO.  

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Dan O'Dowd thinks this guy may regret turning down the QO. They showed him playing LF. He makes Eloy look really good, and supposedly the guy can't throw at all. 

I think all this early talk about so many teams interested and him landing a big contract are rather silly. It's like someone on Ozuna's side is just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing if it sticks. But it will not stick. Baseball people are well aware of his shortcomings. I think 3/$50M is what he will get.

57 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think all this early talk about so many teams interested and him landing a big contract are rather silly. It's like someone on Ozuna's side is just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing if it sticks. But it will not stick. Baseball people are well aware of his shortcomings. I think 3/$50M is what he will get.

I'd take Ozuna at DH for 3/45-50, I think that would be worth it.  Still would much rather have Grandal though.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't forget there's a draft pick now attached to him and giving up that slot money.

Exactly, which is why if we are giving up a pick and slot money I kinda prefer Grandal.  Kinda stuck in between a rock and a hard place.... Would almost be better to go Grandal, NC, then Ozuna.  I mean Ozuna isn't a slouch with the bat, but the NL/AL thing has scarred me, but for 15MM/yr, I don't think it would hurt AS much if he hit like 240/323/462 in that area... 25 or so bombs, 80ish RBI, I think that's about right for the monetary value.