Sign in to follow this  
Tony

Bryant officially files grievance over service time

This could really change MLB, going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. 

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

People would never believe me when I kept saying he was holding a grudge over this.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

People would never believe me when I kept saying he was holding a grudge over this.

I was one of those people, and was clearly wrong. This is going to be VERY interesting to see what the end result is...

A. I believe he filed it almost immediately after getting called up and they're just getting to it now.

B. This is a huge deal for the 2020 White Sox. I hope he wins but if he does, it's going to blow up their plan. This is why it's not as simple as playing the service time game 100% of the time.

C. Kiss 2022 goodbye if he loses. 

Edited by mqr

I hope the new CBA in a couple years will address service time and anti-tanking issues. There are creative solutions out there. They just have to figure it out. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This could have an impact on what the Sox do with Robert and Madrigal, right?

Correct. 

16 minutes ago, mqr said:

A. I believe he filed it almost immediately after getting called up and they're just getting to it now.

B. This is a huge deal for the 2020 White Sox. I hope he wins but if he does, it's going to blow up their plan. This is why it's not as simple as playing the service time game 100% of the time.

Missing by one day is the issue.  Call him up in June or July and there is some sort of discussion.  One day.....I hope he wins.

Damn. I would think it's safe to say he won't be returning to the Cubs once he hits free agency.

If he DOES win, what does that mean for him? What would he potentially be able to get out of it?

10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Missing by one day is the issue.  Call him up in June or July and there is some sort of discussion.  One day.....I hope he wins.

There are other guys out there with similar "1 day" callups - Blake Snell for example - that this could affect.

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There are other guys out there with similar "1 day" callups - Blake Snell for example - that this could affect.

It could probably tangentially effect Eloy as well.

Just now, mqr said:

It could probably tangentially effect Eloy as well.

I think the extension overrides this one - he signed that and was up before the deadline.

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This is interesting since it's from 2015 but I would be shocked if anything came of this.  Is this handled by an arbitrator or MLB?

I believe it's an arbitrator. It has to be.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think the extension overrides this one - he signed that and was up before the deadline.

Very much not a lawyer, but couldn't he have a leg to stand on saying he was strong armed into signing an extension with diminished value? He was sent down before immediately being called up upon signing after all. 

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I believe it's an arbitrator. It has to be.

Yeah I would think so too but I'm not sure how MLB works in that regard.  He also filed it before he was in the MLB I believe and not a union member iirc.  

I don't think anything happens with this.  If the Cubs as an orginization had a track record of this like the White Sox now have maybe.  Even though I have no idea what a ruling for Bryant would even realistically mean.  It's not like he is just going to "win" an extra day and be awared FA in 2020 lol.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I also said this and was in agreement. Dude is gone the second he's a FA. 

3 hours ago, mqr said:

Yep, looks like it was submitted in 2015. Glad to see they move quick on these things.

3 hours ago, mqr said:

This is why you offer them an extension. Otherwise they can allege bad faith. Not sure if that is easily proven.

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

It's a business transaction.  Cubs would have been crazy to bring Bryant up early, Bryant would be crazy not to file a grievance.

Is this a grudge... Kind of?