Possible inside ticket scam

Kyyle23

Kind of an unrelated question, and maybe this is just me being naive, but I always wondered how sites like Stub Hub and SeatGeek were able to legally operate. Wouldn't the teams or performers LOSE money from people buying from 3rd party ticket sellers? I don't go to many games per year because of where I live, so I usually buy my tickets online through seatgeek since they tend to have the best deals in my opinion, but I always wondered...my money is going to the person who originally bought the tickets, not to the White Sox. I never buy directly from the Sox site/Ticketmaster since the 3rd parties have such better deals.

5 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Kind of an unrelated question, and maybe this is just me being naive, but I always wondered how sites like Stub Hub and SeatGeek were able to legally operate. Wouldn't the teams or performers LOSE money from people buying from 3rd party ticket sellers? I don't go to many games per year because of where I live, so I usually buy my tickets online through seatgeek since they tend to have the best deals in my opinion, but I always wondered...my money is going to the person who originally bought the tickets, not to the White Sox. I never buy directly from the Sox site/Ticketmaster since the 3rd parties have such better deals.

StubHub is owned by Ticketmaster.

6 hours ago, Cashman said:

StubHub is owned by Ticketmaster.

StubHub is owned by eBay, who is in process of trying to sell them. Ticketmaster merged with Live Nation some years back. 

12 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

The team sold the tickets to the person who is listing them, so it's not like they aren't getting paid for the seats. If you're finding deals below face on a secondary market, the person who you're buying from is the "loser" in the deal so to speak. As long as the teams get some butts in the seats, people paying for parking, buying concessions/merch, etc. (And also these killer TV contracts), they can roll with it. 

8 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

StubHub is owned by eBay, who is in process of trying to sell them. Ticketmaster merged with Live Nation some years back. 

The team sold the tickets to the person who is listing them, so it's not like they aren't getting paid for the seats. If you're finding deals below face on a secondary market, the person who you're buying from is the "loser" in the deal so to speak. As long as the teams get some butts in the seats, people paying for parking, buying concessions/merch, etc. (And also these killer TV contracts), they can roll with it. 

Yeah that makes sense. 

10 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Plus MLB has a partnership with Stubhub. The team gets a little bit of the re sale, and they get someone in the gate. So even if it is sold at a huge discount, there is a very real possibility the person buying the ticket may not go for full price. This eliminates some no shows, and gets people to buy parking and concessions and souvenirs.