Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

13 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

There was a lot of chatter on this board about bypassing Cole/Stras and going straight for Wheeler while other teams are busy with the big 2.

I think the opposite is true around the league. It looks like Wheeler is going to have by far a much bigger/competitive market.

Lies

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

There was a lot of chatter on this board about bypassing Cole/Stras and going straight for Wheeler while other teams are busy with the big 2.

I think the opposite is true around the league. It looks like Wheeler is going to have by far a much bigger/competitive market.

A couple of things, most teams are already priced out of Cole/Strasburg. Then you had who their agent is, you have to figure its' going to be a long time before both are signed. There was some talk Boras may want to get one done quickly. 

31 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Yes, but most interested teams are interested up to a value I dont think wheeler signs for. Once the number begins to approach 100 million, the interested teams dwindle.

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, but most interested teams are interested up to a value I dont think wheeler signs for. Once the number begins to approach 100 million, the interested teams dwindle.

Agreed. Pretty much every team could use a starter like Wheeler to bolster their rotation. He will cost far less than Stras/Cole as well, giving him widespread appeal. Expect 5-10 suitors, with 3-5 getting serious about him. He might be able to squeeze that fifth year out of a team at an AAV between $18-22 million. 

Wheeler's floor should be 4/$75 million, ceiling might be 5/$115 million? I do not see any club that will be willing to go to six years on him though like Corbin got. 

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Agreed. Pretty much every team could use a starter like Wheeler to bolster their rotation. He will cost far less than Stras/Cole as well, giving him widespread appeal. Expect 5-10 suitors, with 3-5 getting serious about him. He might be able to squeeze that fifth year out of a team at an AAV between $18-22 million. 

Wheeler's floor should be 4/$75 million, ceiling might be 5/$115 million? I do not see any club that will be willing to go to six years on him though like Corbin got. 

I am pretty comfortable at 5 years 110 million for Wheeler as we sit today. 

Just now, cjgalloway said:

I am pretty comfortable at 5 years 110 million for Wheeler as we sit today. 

I'm admittedly terrified of going five years for nearly any pitcher, especially given that he missed a ton of time between '15-17' with injuries. Huge amount of risk in a deal that long. 

9 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I'm admittedly terrified of going five years for nearly any pitcher, especially given that he missed a ton of time between '15-17' with injuries. Huge amount of risk in a deal that long. 

Is there really though?

We'll have an insurance policy for probably 50%. If he's completely injured you recoup that. He won't be an issue for luxury tax because we won't be near it. And I just don't see him being healthy but completely terrible even in year 5.

Pitching isn't nearly as risky in terms of blowing up team building. The worst part about it is not being sure you are going to have it when you need it due to the high amount of injuries and variation in performance.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Is there really though?

We'll have an insurance policy for probably 50%. If he's completely injured you recoup that. He won't be an issue for luxury tax because we won't be near it. And I just don't see him being healthy but completely terrible even in year 5.

Pitching isn't nearly as risky in terms of blowing up team building. The worst part about it is not being sure you are going to have it when you need it due to the high amount of injuries and variation in performance.

Reality = Sox are totally out on Cole/Stras for obvious reasons

We need to sign one of: Wheeler/MBum/Ryu/Kuechel/Odorizzi (at a minimum). This has to be a top priority, our rotation needs veteran help. Multi year signing. 

We need to sign another starter, although the second one will likely be more of a backend/innings eating option, although hopefully with upside. Perhaps a guy like Porcello on a one year deal? 

Wheeler's market is going to be really robust, which has me concerned about our ability to separate from the pack. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Reality = Sox are totally out on Cole/Stras for obvious reasons

We need to sign one of: Wheeler/MBum/Ryu/Kuechel/Odorizzi (at a minimum). This has to be a top priority, our rotation needs veteran help. Multi year signing. 

We need to sign another starter, although the second one will likely be more of a backend/innings eating option, although hopefully with upside. Perhaps a guy like Porcello on a one year deal? 

Wheeler's market is going to be really robust, which has me concerned about our ability to separate from the pack. 

I do not want to sign Odorizzi with a QO.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

If they aren't going to be in on Cole/Stras/Wheeler hypothetically, I'd want them to make a run at Ryu.  Keuchel is a fat No from me on a multi year deal.

Ryu's injury history likely will frighten the Sox. If they are going multi year they are going to want a guy they can reasonably expect to pitch 180+ innings. 

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

They would get the fifth year out of me if they could say yes fast.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

If they aren't going to be in on Cole/Stras/Wheeler hypothetically, I'd want them to make a run at Ryu.  Keuchel is a fat No from me on a multi year deal.

Keuchel would be OK as the rotation filler to eat innings.  He is really a third tier starter.

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Who knows..... just know of him from the Pederson trade that fell through last season....

He keeps offering up rumors and it seems he had something with Joc.  But WSD did question his previous rumor about Ryu and I remain skeptical in what he says.  Whateve, I’ll happily take a rumor from any semi-credible source at this time of year.

Odorizzi certainly makes sense as one of the "fallback" 1A pitchers:

1) He won't break the bank

2) Already familiar with the division, and successful within it

3) Gives the Sox some more experience at the top of the rotation

4) Weakens Minnesota's rotation/depth chart (don't care much about the 2nd round draft pick at this point)

If they do bring him into the fold, I wouldn't be totally shocked if he provided some insight about Gibson/Pineda/Martin Perez...as the second signing in that pitching class, assuming they get another "on the cheap" for the back end/Lopez-Kopech-Cease insurance.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic