Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Odorizzi certainly makes sense as one of the "fallback" 1A pitchers:

1) He won't break the bank

2) Already familiar with the division, and successful within it

3) Gives the Sox some more experience at the top of the rotation

4) Weakens Minnesota's rotation/depth chart (don't care much about the 2nd round draft pick at this point)

If they do bring him into the fold, I wouldn't be totally shocked if he provided some insight about Gibson/Pineda/Martin Perez...as the second signing in that pitching class, assuming they get another "on the cheap" for the back end/Lopez-Kopech-Cease insurance.

I’d much prefer MBum or Wheeler to Odorizzi on a multi year deal. 

8 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I’d much prefer MBum or Wheeler to Odorizzi on a multi year deal. 

As a lot of people have said, in a vacuum Bumgarner makes sense, but what happens in the dugout the first time Anderson, Moncada or Eloy pimp a HR? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

As a lot of people have said, in a vacuum Bumgarner makes sense, but what happens in the dugout the first time Anderson, Moncada or Eloy pimp a HR? 

He doesn’t care unless it happens to him. What do you think he’s going to charge the field and tackle them?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He'll duke it out with them with some shoves and punches, like men used to do before PC. Then it will be over and they'll be friends again. 

I'd much rather prefer Wheeler to Odorizzi, but if the Sox got Odorizzi, I would not be terribly upset about it (assuming the contract details are not over-the-top). Odorizzi theoretically would be far more valuable to the Sox than their 2nd rounder in the 2020 draft could offer them. Look at their past history.

A list of the Sox last 10 2nd round picks:

• 2009 - David Holmberg / Trayce Thompson
  • 2010 - Jake Petricka
  • 2011 - Erik Johnson
  • 2012 - Chris Beck
  • 2013 - Tyler Danish
  • 2014 - Spencer Adams
  • 2015 - n/a
  • 2016 - Alec Hansen
  • 2017 - Gavin Sheets
  • 2018 - Steele Walker
  • 2019 - Matthew Thompson

Sheets, Walker, and Thompson are the only ones that *might* provide future value to the team, and you could almost argue that's only because they haven't been in the system long enough for disappointment.

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I'd much rather prefer Wheeler to Odorizzi, but if the Sox got Odorizzi, I would not be terribly upset about it (assuming the contract details are not over-the-top). Odorizzi theoretically would be far more valuable to the Sox than their 2nd rounder in the 2020 draft could offer them. Look at their past history.

• 2010 - Jake Petricka
  • 2011 - Erik Johnson
  • 2012 - Chris Beck
  • 2013 - Tyler Danish
  • 2014 - Spencer Adams
  • 2015 - n/a
  • 2016 - Alec Hansen
  • 2017 - Gavin Sheets
  • 2018 - Steele Walker

Sheets, Walker, and Thompson are the only ones that *might* provide future value to the team, and you could almost argue that's only because they haven't been in the system long enough for disappointment.

Odorizzi in my opinion is not premium talent and if that’s where the money is going to be spent at I will be highly disappointed 

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Odorizzi in my opinion is not premium talent and if that’s where the money is going to be spent at I will be highly disappointed 

Depends on what else they bring in IMO. If they can get Grandal + Odorizzi, I don't see how you could be unhappy with that outcome. If Odorizzi ends up being the Sox main offseason addition, I would be slightly disappointed too. I was simply trying to point out that to cry over losing a 2nd round pick should not be the main reason shy away from adding someone like Odorizzi - who clearly would provide more for the Sox when compared to the past historic outcomes of their 2nd rounders. Granted, the Sox seem to be drafting differently the past few years, but I'd rather take my chances considering the same FO and player development staff are still calling the shots.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Depends on what else they bring in IMO. If they can get Grandal + Odorizzi, I don't see how you could be unhappy with that outcome. If Odorizzi ends up being the Sox main offseason addition, I would be slightly disappointed too. I was simply trying to point out that to cry over losing a 2nd round pick should not be the main reason shy away from adding someone like Odorizzi - who clearly would provide more for the Sox when compared to the past historic outcomes of their 2nd rounders. Granted, the Sox seem to be drafting differently the past few years, but I'd rather take my chances considering the same FO and player development staff are still calling the shots.

Grandal and Odorizzi still wouldn’t do it for me. You have get another quality pitcher for that to be a justified offseason in my opinion, if you miss out on a Rendon, Cole, strasburg, and wheeler.....not after how we fell flat on our face last offseason. However I agree i don’t mind the 2nd round pick attached to him 

The problem is once you get past Wheeler (and even Zack, too)....we can pick apart all the weaknesses and flaws of the next group, which is Bumgarner, Ryu, Odorizzi, Keuchel and Hamels (just for win-now teams).

So then you're pretty much stuck with disappointment...especially if all the big dogs are going after Wheeler.

We KNOW that Reinsdorf is highly unlikely to add a fifth year onto a potential Wheeler contract, which very might well end up being the dividing line between signing and not signing him.

It's much easier to imagine them justifying 4/$80-90 than 5/$90-110 million.

Then it REALLY gets tricky, because almost everyone's going to be going after that same list of 4-5 pitchers, warts and all.

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Grandal and Odorizzi still wouldn’t do it for me. You have get another quality pitcher for that to be a justified offseason in my opinion, if you miss out on a Rendon, Cole, strasburg, and wheeler.....not after how we fell flat on our face last offseason. However I agree i don’t mind the 2nd round pick attached to him 

I still think they could add another starter, I'm just not convinced it'll be anyone you could consider top talent. Thinking more along the lines of Teheran, Salazar, or Hamels (which none of which trill me in any way). I get the impression this FO is really banking on Gio, Kopech, and Cease to be the foundation of the front of the rotation. I really hope they can land Wheeler though. 

20 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I still think they could add another starter, I'm just not convinced it'll be anyone you could consider top talent. Thinking more along the lines of Teheran, Salazar, or Hamels (which none of which trill me in any way). I get the impression this FO is really banking on Gio, Kopech, and Cease to be the foundation of the front of the rotation. I really hope they can land Wheeler though. 

Salazar might be even worse than Santana...you need someone you can really count on for at least 100-120 innings.

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is once you get past Wheeler (and even Zack, too)....we can pick apart all the weaknesses and flaws of the next group, which is Bumgarner, Ryu, Odorizzi, Keuchel and Hamels (just for win-now teams).

So then you're pretty much stuck with disappointment...especially if all the big dogs are going after Wheeler.

We KNOW that Reinsdorf is highly unlikely to add a fifth year onto a potential Wheeler contract, which very might well end up being the dividing line between signing and not signing him.

It's much easier to imagine them justifying 4/$80-90 than 5/$90-110 million.

Then it REALLY gets tricky, because almost everyone's going to be going after that same list of 4-5 pitchers, warts and all.

I am just as leery about giving a pitcher that fifth guaranteed year, but if we are serious suitors we have to realize risks will have to be made to improve. 

Wheeler will have so many suitors, I'm sure one team will be willing to give him five years near $20 million AAV, or perhaps more? 

52 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I am just as leery about giving a pitcher that fifth guaranteed year, but if we are serious suitors we have to realize risks will have to be made to improve. 

Wheeler will have so many suitors, I'm sure one team will be willing to give him five years near $20 million AAV, or perhaps more? 

The original prediction was 4/$80, but now we’re all the way up to 5/$90-115 as guesses....simply because of the mad rush from every team out on Cole and Strasburg for the third most coveted pitcher on the market.

12 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

• 2010 - Jake Petricka
  • 2011 - Erik Johnson
  • 2012 - Chris Beck
  • 2013 - Tyler Danish
  • 2014 - Spencer Adams
  • 2015 - n/a
  • 2016 - Alec Hansen
  • 2017 - Gavin Sheets
  • 2018 - Steele Walker

I have to admit...that list is gruesome.

16 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Bumgarner is being dangerously overrated at this point. 

That’s funny, I think he’s being underrated. He won’t be an ace but I’m very confident he will be reliable and will be a good mentor.

I'd be more excited to see the Sox make a serious offer to Ryu than Odorizzi or some of these other guys besides Wheeler. Yes there's injury risk, but you also know he's probably going to be great whenever he goes out there for you.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic