Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Therein lies the point.

Wheeler bumps from expected 4/$80 to 5 and even 6 year deals.

Hahn then turns around and argues that money in Year 5/6 needs to go to extensions of players already under control...the window has to be extended and not limited to 2021-23.   Meanwhile, we still aren’t getting the quality of pitching to make us sure fire contenders for those three years, let alone 2024-26.

Nothing has actually happened...

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nothing has actually happened...

Sure, Sox fans have become conditioned to expect the worst, I guess.  Stockholm Syndrome, or something.

When I created this thread, the odds on Wheeler from an acquisition standpoint felt at least 50/50.   They could still  shock the world and sign him for $100+ million and at least five years, but I’m certainly not counting on it at this point.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, Sox fans have become conditioned to expect the worst, I guess.  Stockholm Syndrome, or something.

When I created this thread, the odds on Wheeler from an acquisition standpoint felt at least 50/50.   They could still  shock the world and sign him for $100+ million and at least five years, but I’m certainly not counting on it at this point.

I mean, they have a payroll of 70 million after Abreu and arb figures.  20 million a year isn't exactly crazy for a top pitcher.  

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There's a reason not to expect the worst when it comes to free agency with this organization?

This organization has failed hard in free agency almost every year (on that same note, so have the Bulls). 

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2019 at 8:49 PM, hi8is said:

Has he had TJ twice?

Just once I think. Sox should be in the mix, but I think Wheeler will have the strongest market of almost any free agent. Sox not being an instant contender might hurt unless they pay up big time. 

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Just once I think. Sox should be in the mix, but I think Wheeler will have the strongest market of almost any free agent. Sox not being an instant contender might hurt unless they pay up big time. 

Reports out that Twins met with him

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Richard Justice predicted Yankees would sign him in his article today.

He loves Sox, but had us listed as destination for none of the top ten guys.

Probably because the sox would have to spend money and that sox have a tough time doing that on premier talent. Until they shows us otherwise 

No one cares what a single baseball writer thinks a players destination will be.

MLBTraderumors does predictions every off-season; based on feedback and things they're hearing and etc.

They get about 4-6 out of the top 50 right every off-season. No one has any idea where anyone is signing or going. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

JP Morosi on hot stove said white sox are one of teams he's heard alot being in on wheeler 

Usually then Passan follows, if that happens, I like the odds.  For some reason I always get Zack Wheeler and Dylan Bundy confused, which is why I didn't like the interest as much.  I'm ok with going 5/100 for Wheeler as a #2.

Wheeler was dealt for Beltran.... Bundy was never dealt.  I'll get it one day.

Edited by Soxnfins
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2019 at 9:33 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No one cares what a single baseball writer thinks a players destination will be.

MLBTraderumors does predictions every off-season; based on feedback and things they're hearing and etc.

They get about 4-6 out of the top 50 right every off-season. No one has any idea where anyone is signing or going. 

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but Morosi is credible and not making things up out of thin air.

FWIW, he said that the "leading group " for Wheeler right now is the White Sox, Angels, Padres, and Twins.  He also said his market already has a good deal of clarity and he might sign before both Cole and Strasburg.

I could definitely see Wheeler's free agency playing out similarly to Corbin's last year -- it was reported relatively early last offseason that his serious suitors were the Nationals, Yankees, and Phillies (turned out to be accurate).  The Nationals bit and offered him the 6th year, and he signed on Dec. 7.

Edited by Perfect Vision

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic