Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

As long as Cole and Strasburg are still available, you'd have to figure teams like the Angels, Yankees, and Padres may hesitate to make an aggressive 5 year offer to Wheeler, as that could make it more financially challenging for them to sign either of those other guys.  So from a strategic standpoint, this seems like the perfect time for the Sox to make an aggressive offer to Wheeler to try to entice him to sign early.

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

As long as Cole and Strasburg are still available, you'd have to figure teams like the Angels, Yankees, and Padres may hesitate to make an aggressive 5 year offer to Wheeler, as that could make it more financially challenging for them to sign either of those other guys.  So from a strategic standpoint, this seems like the perfect time for the Sox to make an aggressive offer to Wheeler to try to entice him to sign early.

Right.  Offer him 5/$95M right now and get it done.  

11 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Wheeler should wait to see who misses out on Cole and Stras, as that should make them more desperate.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wheeler should wait to see who misses out on Cole and Stras, as that should make them more desperate.

As the last year has shown...once you get an offer you're ready to sign, there's a huge risk to waiting longer. 

If he's sitting there at $75 million offers...fine you wait. If someone puts 9 figures on the table...

1 hour ago, Perfect Vision said:

100% agree, but there should a few other teams like the Twins trying to execute a similar strategy.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m just thinking $100M is the magical number that gets him to sign early.

Yeah,  if he's in a lower range than that, there's reason for him to think a better offer will show up. If he gets to that level, that might be the "Take it and be done with it" level.

• Like 1

We’ve been speculating $100-115 million from the original 4/$80 “reasonable” price.

Still not sure $100 gets it done unless he really has his heart set on Chicago and doesn’t want to wait it out.

He’s not ever going to be a second or third tier option this offseason, so not sure how waiting until January/February has more negatives than positives attached to it.

From a Hahn standpoint, getting one big name in the fold early is huge in terms of setting up the other moves.  Devil’s Advocate of course is that Melky, Robertson and LaRoche didn’t exactly work out when we “won” that particular offseason.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m just thinking $100M is the magical number that gets him to sign early.

I think that would get him. Corbin got $23 and Eovaldi got $17. I think Wheeler at $20 is a good number. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fathom said:

Only if he likes waiting til late January to know where he will be living and working.  Like they say in the house buying trade...sometimes your first offer is the best offer.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Only if he likes waiting til late January to know where he will be living and working.  Like they say in the house buying trade...sometimes your first offer is the best offer.

If someone offered me ten million plus if I could wait two more months to move I would.

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

"We like Zack alot and offered him 40 times what he was making last year...he just decided to go another way"

"We offered Zack 5/85MM with 20MM incentives if he wins 7 CY Young awards during his contract,  our offer was better than the 5/$105MM GTD.  We no longer have a seat at the table."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic