Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

44 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

I'm just going on record being against this signing. He'll probably get something like 5/125 and pitch maybe 2.5 of those years.

That's a fair take, honestly.  There is a decent chance Wheeler turns into a bust of a signing.  But what would you do instead?  Cole/Strasburg or bust? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

If someone offered me ten million plus if I could wait two more months to move I would.

Impossible to know what these players are thinking.  I think Odorizzi could've gotten a nice deal this offseason, but decided to take the QO because, as he said, he didn't want to be sitting on his couch in February waiting by the phone.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Over the past 3 years, since wheeler had his injury,  keuchal has been the better if not equal pitcher if you like WAR as a stat.

This isn't accurate.  

Wheeler: 2018 fwar: 4.2; 2019 fWAR: 4.7

Keuchel: 2018 fWAR: 3.3; 2019 fWAR: 0.8

Wheeler only made 17 starts in 2017 after coming back from surgery.  He wasn't good (0.2) fWAR.  Keuchel was 2.3 fWAR in 2017.

So even including 2017, Wheeler has amassed 9.1 fWAR since 2017; Keuchel 6.40 fWAR.

So, yah...that's wrong.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Over the past 3 years, since wheeler had his injury,  keuchal has been the better if not equal pitcher if you like WAR as a stat.

Zack Wheeler put up 4.7 fWAR in 2019 and 4.2 fWAR in 2018. Dallas Keuchel hasn't done that since 2015. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I mean... You're including 3 years ago which was Keuchels 2nd best year ever and Wheelers worst.... If you use the past year (or two), it's not ever close.

18 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right.  Offer him 5/$95M right now and get it done.  

We should also keep in mind that the most attractive offer to Wheeler might include an opt out after, lets say, his 2nd year of any contract in case he turns into an injury free Cy Young candidate , This is one of the reasons why I have been advocating it could be necessary to get another multi year pitcher so each one could be kept for a minimum of 2 years at which point we will have a clearer picture of how the young arms are doing. If we somehow end up with an embarassmnt of rihes either one of the 2 multi year guys could be traded before they reach free agency again.

After signing catcher Yasmani Grandal on Wednesday, the White Sox are expected to pursue free agent pitcher Zack Wheeler, according to major league sources.

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/sources-white-sox-to-pursue-free-agent-zack-wheeler-after-signing-yasmani-grandal/311953278

Edited by DirtySox

3 hours ago, Hatchetman said:

I'm just going on record being against this signing. He'll probably get something like 5/125 and pitch maybe 2.5 of those years.

I think $25 per year is really high for him. I think $20 will be the max but some team may get desperate 

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Based on the Grandal deal, they seem to want to strike quick. What do you think a potential offer out to Wheeler looks like right now? I'm going to agree with everyone and guess 5 years/$100 mill.

It'll be under 100, Uncle Jerry doesn't like 3 digit numbers.  If he does, then I'll gladly eat my hat.

29 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Based on the Grandal deal, they seem to want to strike quick. What do you think a potential offer out to Wheeler looks like right now? I'm going to agree with everyone and guess 5 years/$100 mill.

4 or 5 years/92.5M. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

34 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

It'll be under 100, Uncle Jerry doesn't like 3 digit numbers.  If he does, then I'll gladly eat my hat.

I'm sure there are plenty of posters here willing to help with that hat...pass me the salt, I'm in!!!

Edited by wegner

Wonder if front loading a contract for Wheeler makes sense and would appeal to him? Something like 4/85 with $50M guaranteed in the 1st 2 years. With our payroll situation I’d much rather overpay for Wheeler in the short term than be on the hook for 2 years at the end of the deal he may/probably won’t be worth 

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic