Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

10 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Wonder if front loading a contract for Wheeler makes sense and would appeal to him? Something like 4/85 with $50M guaranteed in the 1st 2 years. With our payroll situation I’d much rather overpay for Wheeler in the short term than be on the hook for 2 years at the end of the deal he may/probably won’t be worth 

The problem is 2022-23 is clearly the heart of the competitive window, as currently constructed.

With Grandal’s age, competing this year at least now has to be looked at realistically...predicated on the rest of their moves and all the young players making steady progress and not busting...at least the very top guys.

Ryu, Bumgarner, Keuchel, Hamels....they collectively as a group fall into that same category of win now rather than win later acquisitions due to age, mileage and/or injury concerns.

Edited by caulfield12

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is 2022-23 is clearly the heart of the competitive window, as currently constructed.

With Grandal’s age, competing this year at least now has to be looked at realistically...predicated on the rest of their moves and all the young players making steady progress and not busting...at least the very top guys.

Ryu, Bumgarner, Keuchel, Hamels....they collectively as a group fall into that same category of win now rather than win later acquisitions due to age, mileage and/or injury concerns.

In my opinion if Wheeler and Grandal are signed the window opens in 2021...22/23 is where we will start getting into extensions for our younger guys not named Eloy or TA

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

In my opinion if Wheeler and Grandal are signed the window opens in 2021...22/23 is where we will start getting into extensions for our younger guys not named Eloy or TA

Well, Anderson is “only” under control through 2024...but he’s certainly not a priority in comparison to Giolito, Moncada and possibly Robert.  Those last two will be the toughest to extend.  

Giolito repeats his 2019 and he suddenly puts himself in elite territory...so now is the ideal time to strike if they’re 100% confident in his “repeatability.“  That would obviously carry a not insignificant amount of risk, as he’s already past the first three years.  Of course, no extension and his arbitration numbers rise exponentially each season as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

With Wheeler and Grandal in tow, the Victory Orifice opens tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic