Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Huh? JD has 3 years remaining, with an opt out next year. Yes I want to leave room for Vaughn. No I don’t want to trade for JDM. It makes no sense. 

No idea what you’re suggesting with Lopez, Collins and “a good youngster”. Hopefully not a trade return for JDM because that would be awful. 

JDM would likely require a new deal because of the opt out. For one year it would not be worth it.

1 minute ago, pcq said:

JDM would likely require a new deal because of the opt out. For one year it would not be worth it.

JDM isn't a fit on this roster anymore.  Trading Lopez alone for him would be crazy, let along adding Collins and "a good youngster", whatever that means.  JDM has neutral value at best.  I admit plugging JDM into DH for 2020 sounds intriguing/fun, but things get real sticky in 21 and 22.  It just wouldn't be a very smart move for overall roster construction.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

JDM isn't a fit on this roster anymore.  Trading Lopez alone for him would be crazy, let along adding Collins and "a good youngster", whatever that means.  JDM has neutral value at best.  I admit plugging JDM into DH for 2020 sounds intriguing/fun, but things get real sticky in 21 and 22.  It just wouldn't be a very smart move for overall roster construction.  

You do not want him for RF got it. 

15 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Imagine getting Grandal and Wheeler in the same offseason. It would be amazing.

Imagine getting those two signed before the Winter Meetings.  Would free up RH to work on that RF opening.

• Like 2

Meh, he seems like another random dude....we will see... if we land both before the winter meetings life is good for RH and crew to focus on the final remaining pieces. Idk, last offseason was never ending so to have a potential of grandal and wheeler signed before then would be a huge win for the Sox 

• Like 1

Honestly, I respect the free agents that go back and check with the club they were with, it shows a sign of respect and a sense of loyalty. Leverage? Maybe, but idk. I know Buehrle did that with us when he went to the Marlins... He had loyalty for us and the respect to ask us again. Good on Wheeler regardless of it works out for us or not. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Kole Calhoun is the safest bet FA. With Grandal now in hand, I just really hope we do better offensively than Calhoun without totaling punting defense. Honestly just think we need to hope that RF gets filled via trade. Plenty of plausible options - both 1 year stop gaps and longer term options. Have to imagine that is how Hahn plans to solve RF. 

Give me Starlin Marte! 

This is almost certainly a fake insider account, but figured it’s worth documenting over the extremely tiny chance dude is the next WetButt.

The good news is we’ll know one way or the other by Monday and can put this account on insider perma-ban if wrong.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Soxnfins said:

Honestly, I respect the free agents that go back and check with the club they were with, it shows a sign of respect and a sense of loyalty. Leverage? Maybe, but idk. I know Buehrle did that with us when he went to the Marlins... He had loyalty for us and the respect to ask us again. Good on Wheeler regardless of it works out for us or not. 

I agree.

FWIW, Mets fans seem to think Wheeler is as good as gone and several legit insiders are saying as much.  It does feel like the Sox could be in the driver’s seat here and I really wouldn’t be surprised if this got done (whether with us or not) before the Winter Meetings.  Just based on rumors, it seems like his market has developed quickly.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic