Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

7 hours ago, Sarava said:

I wonder if they would consider Cole if Wheeler passes on the Sox? Because it seems to fall off a cliff after Wheeler, especially if one thinks Madbum will go to an NL team or team closer to his home in North Carolina. I do not want them spending money on Keuchel. 

I think the dropoff in the FA market is AFTER Bumgarner/Wheeler. Those two have similar numbers, although I understand Wheeler's velo has been higher.

I prefer Bumgarner, as he's a lefty who has won. This is a rotation that needs veteran leadership, and an example of success to emulate. Id also like a LH starter in a day and age when the LOOGY will be de-emphasized, due to the 3-hutter rule.

That said, if its Wheeler, I'd be happy. I believe it is essential for this rebuild to acquire one of Cole/Strasburg/Wheeler/Bumgarner.  

What I definitely DONT want is Keuchel or Ryu as the "headliner" SP acquisition. I dont trust Keuchel being good anymore, and Ryu is made of glass.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Don’t think he would be happy in the AL game, giving up his hitting and seems very comfortable on the West Coast.

Him hitting is a non-factor, IMO. Like it or not, the NL will get the DH in the next CBA. There aren't any more holdouts among the NL clubs on this issue. It opens up more jobs for the players, and the owners no longer want the additional injury risk to expensive SPs.

Now, should he prefer the left coast, so be it. That simply means he isn't a candidate to sign here.

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Small sample size of course.

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
Home 16 11 50 44 11 14 3 1 5 8 2 0 6 11 .318 .400 .773 1.173 34 0 0 0 0 0 0 .321 132 198
Away 11 7 37 33 2 7 1 1 2 5 0 0 3 12 .212 .297 .485 .782 16 1 1 0 0 0 0 .263 58 106

Thought I'd go digging into other than the usual names we see mentioned . Hilliard is like 6'5" 240 with big time power who K's a lot and seems to be a late bloomer because he pitched a lot in JUCO. Seems like a good combo of speed and power and defense which we aren't seeing a lot of in the regular names being tossed around. He's also a RF so no need to switch him to anything he's not used too.Rockies seemed to be impressed but he has no pedigree as a 15th rounder who is 25.

Colorado may look to move Blackmon whose numbers look impressive on the whole but the difference between home and away is staggering. He isn't a great fielder by any means either.   I'd start off asking about Blackmon then stealthily go about asking about Hilliard .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

56 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I think the dropoff in the FA market is AFTER Bumgarner/Wheeler. Those two have similar numbers, although I understand Wheeler's velo has been higher.

I prefer Bumgarner, as he's a lefty who has won. This is a rotation that needs veteran leadership, and an example of success to emulate. Id also like a LH starter in a day and age when the LOOGY will be de-emphasized, due to the 3-hutter rule.

That said, if its Wheeler, I'd be happy. I believe it is essential for this rebuild to acquire one of Cole/Strasburg/Wheeler/Bumgarner.  

What I definitely DONT want is Keuchel or Ryu as the "headliner" SP acquisition. I dont trust Keuchel being good anymore, and Ryu is made of glass.

Him hitting is a non-factor, IMO. Like it or not, the NL will get the DH in the next CBA. There aren't any more holdouts among the NL clubs on this issue. It opens up more jobs for the players, and the owners no longer want the additional injury risk to expensive SPs.

Now, should he prefer the left coast, so be it. That simply means he isn't a candidate to sign here.

Bumgarner pitched in a fucking airport for half his games and still gave up 30 HR.

He had a 504 slugging % and 840 OPS against him on the road.  That translates to terrible moving into a smaller park.

If they can't land Wheeler they need to make a trade.

Edited by BackDoorBreach
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Bumgarner pitched in a fucking airport for half his games and still gave up 30 HR.

He had a 504 slugging % and 840 OPS against him on the road.  That translates to terrible moving into a smaller park.

If they can't land Wheeler they need to make a trade.

Or splurge for Cole/Strasburg. It would be neat if Jerry did that just once. Twice if you count Joey Belle.

I saw this comment in a recent article on SoxMachine by a user named Denmar.  Morosi was on WSCR on Thursday, but I haven’t seen anyone else post this.  Did anyone else hear this interview or know where this rumor came from?

Rumor has it (Morosi): Wheeler seems poised to accept the White Sox offer ($100MM/5yrs?) but he committed to giving the Mets’ a matching opportunity.

Also, in regards to the Mets, it definitely seems they’re out based on Martino’s last update and the general consensus that they are financially fucked.  That’s huge and greatly improves our chances to land Wheeler IMO.  With the Braves seemingly connected to Bumgarner and the Angels likely waiting out the big two, it seems like our biggest competition would be the Twins & Reds.  I don’t want to get cocky here, but we should be able to beat them out.  Please get this the fuck done Hahn and move on to RF!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

^^^ if this is true, there is absolutely no reason the Twins and Reds should be able to beat the Sox offer. I hope Hahn wraps this up before Thanksgiving so we can relax the rest of the offseason knowing the two big additions are already in place.

Hell, anytime before the Winter Meetings would be amazing.  That would allow Hahn to focus his attention on RF there and not have to worry about saving potential trade chips for SP needs.  But yes, this week would make for a great Thanksgiving.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hell, anytime before the Winter Meetings would be amazing.  That would allow Hahn to focus his attention on RF there and not have to worry about saving potential trade chips for SP needs.  But yes, this week would make for a great Thanksgiving.

I think we signed Grandal early to avoid snoopers and to convince good pitching to sign here. I think we try to wrap Wheeler up so that we can go after a second pitcher and right fielder in time for the rush starting December 8th. 

10 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think we signed Grandal early to avoid snoopers and to convince good pitching to sign here. I think we try to wrap Wheeler up so that we can go after a second pitcher and right fielder in time for the rush starting December 8th. 

Has Nova "left the building" or is he still a candidate for the 2nd SP?  I assume the best option for the 2nd SP would be a LH. 

30 minutes ago, pcq said:

Twitter says no to the Mets.

Seeing this too, most noteable the SNY reporter that covers both the NYM & NYY.  If it's not the Mets, it's got to be us.  Still good on Wheeler if we truely are the high offer, asked if Mets could match.  If they can't, then he's ours IMO.

6 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Seeing this too, most noteable the SNY reporter that covers both the NYM & NYY.  If it's not the Mets, it's got to be us.  Still good on Wheeler if we truely are the high offer, asked if Mets could match.  If they can't, then he's ours IMO.

The Twins have a ton of money as well and need pitching. I wouldn't count them out yet, but we should be able to win the "tie breaker" if money is equal. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Twins have a ton of money as well and need pitching. I wouldn't count them out yet, but we should be able to win the "tie breaker" if money is equal. 

Minnesota or Illinois taxes for 81 games... Not sure which is better considering the progressive tax will be in affect.  lol

Edited by Soxnfins

If something were happen this week, I’m guessing 11am CST will be the magic hour.  That’s when the Grandal news came out and I’m guessing Wheeler would be announced at a similar time.  Also, it seems like today or tomorrow would have to be the day.  Otherwise, I think we’re looking at next week for a resolution good or bad.

1 hour ago, Soxnfins said:

Minnesota or Illinois taxes for 81 games... Not sure which is better considering the progressive tax will be in affect.  lol

MN is definitely worse.  I believe MN either has the highest or 2nd highest tax rate in the baseball.  

But as someone else mentioned, at this point, the Twins have pretty much just as much financial flexibility as the Sox do.  

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

MN is definitely worse.  I believe MN either has the highest or 2nd highest tax rate in the baseball.  

But as someone else mentioned, at this point, the Twins have pretty much just as much financial flexibility as the Sox do.  

Minnesota has double the income tax as Illinois. Again though, I think these guys just want the most guaranteed dollars regardless of tax brackets. 

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah I believe MN is 9.85% for earners over 156,9 singles, 261,5 for married... Illinois with progressive tax will be 7.99% for >750k singles, >$1M married, iirc.

Jesus, I thought IL was bad.... MN is terrible.  I'll stick with my WI taxes and just work in Chicago.... Reciprocity ftw 

Edited by Soxnfins
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

We always say that players will sign with whichever team pays him the most. Do most players just want the most guaranteed dollar amount? For example, if all other things are equal, would Wheeler prefer a 5 year $100M contract or a 6 year $108M contract?

I think it depends.  In this case, I would expect Wheeler to go for the most overall money (rather than highest AAV), since this could be the last major league contract that he signs.

4 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I think it depends.  In this case, I would expect Wheeler to go for the most overall money (rather than highest AAV), since this could be the last major league contract that he signs.

I'd be shocked if he took the 6 and 108. He'd be 34 years old and with inflation, could get a one year deal at 12 million if he were a disappointing pitcher at that point. If he were still solid, he'd get another 2 or 3 year deal like Hamels. If he completely sucked, he'd be out of baseball, but I think he'd take that 5 year gamble. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic