Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

Ahh, thanks for the recaps guys. 

I guess Clinton is confident it is going to happen. We have learned from this though. A source can be a good source and still wind up being wrong. Situations change that not even the best sources can anticipate. We shall see. 

I remember last offseason when the guy from 670 got intel and was adamant that Manny was signing with the Sox on a specific date. I don't believe any of this stuff anymore until an actual reporter says a deal is close or completed. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, shipps said:

Ahh, thanks for the recaps guys. 

I guess Clinton is confident it is going to happen. We have learned from this though. A source can be a good source and still wind up being wrong. Situations change that not even the best sources can anticipate. We shall see. 

Personally, I won't believe it until Peavy44 confirms it.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

I remember last offseason when the guy from 670 got intel and was adamant that Manny was signing with the Sox on a specific date. I don't believe any of this stuff anymore until an actual reporter says a deal is close or completed. 

Exactly and that is why I would say that Morossi saying he’s in play for the Phillies is indication that nothing is imminent with the Sox right now

5 minutes ago, Sockin said:

But what if there is extra security ordered at GRF?  For the record, I have total appreciation for anyone willing to share rumors they hear.  Better than having to hear about Abreu’s tobacco use or Billy Hamilton.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Exactly and that is why I would say that Morossi saying he’s in play for the Phillies is indication that nothing is imminent with the Sox right now

Eh I don't put too much stock into things like that. Not all reporters get the same info. Not saying I think Wheeler is signing today because of that, I just don't think its indicative of anything.  

1 minute ago, fathom said:

But what if there is extra security ordered at GRF?  For the record, I have total appreciation for anyone willing to share rumors they hear.  Better than having to hear about Abreu’s tobacco use or Billy Hamilton.

Definitely my favorite version, also that the marketing department is on high alert because if they sign they have to print like 500 flyers.

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I wouldn’t overreact to Morosi’s tweet, I think it has more to do with the Phillies’ intentions than Morosi really having a good pulse of what’s going on with Wheeler.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Totally fine with people sharing what the hear. It's the getting indignant when people give you shit because they don't believe you or you end up being wrong that drives me nuts.

18 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Go back in the thread. Someone asked him on Twitter if it was speculation. He did not answer directly. Someone DMd him and posted it. He said he was told it was happening

Yeah I asked him directly on a White Sox Facebook page.  He basically said he's not going to give any other information on it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I wouldn’t overreact to Morosi’s tweet, I think it has more to do with the Phillies’ intentions than Morosi really having a good pulse of what’s going on with Wheeler.

I think what was most telling to me was Morosi claiming that Wheeler was still deciding whether to wait out the Cole and Strasburg markets. Doesn’t seem like anything is imminent  

Just now, Orlando said:

I think what was most telling to me was Morosi claiming that Wheeler was still deciding whether to wait out the Cole and Strasburg markets. Doesn’t seem like anything is imminent  

Purely personal opinion, but I've found Morosi to be a about the least accurate/connected of all the MLB reports that are widely respected.  

IF it was that certain, he would have signed.  No one sits for 5 days without signing on a "done deal". Teams could feel good, etc, but until it is done, it isn't done.  The only thing I'd take by this is the Sox are serious bidders on Wheeler. That said, I expect they will have  lot of competition and the other major wild card is how long does the market take to establish himself and at what point is Wheeler (and his agent) comfortable with him making the move (does he want to be the 1st and set the market, would he prefer to wait...all that fun stuff).  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

IF it was that certain, he would have signed.  No one sits for 5 days without signing on a "done deal". Teams could feel good, etc, but until it is done, it isn't done.  The only thing I'd take by this is the Sox are serious bidders on Wheeler. That said, I expect they will have  lot of competition and the other major wild card is how long does the market take to establish himself and at what point is Wheeler (and his agent) comfortable with him making the move (does he want to be the 1st and set the market, would he prefer to wait...all that fun stuff).  

100%. They can feel they have the best offer and something will happen soon but the player can still decide to wait a little longer.

I actually don't think it's wise for Wheeler to wait. I get the impression that the teams that would go after and pay Cole/Stras are teams that want Cole/Stras.

The secondary market is already set for a guy like him, and if anything waiting just removes suiters instead of making them more desperate.

There's a lot of mini-markets in the mlb offseason, it's not just one big tier system. I think he'll sign before christmas, I'd be surprised if he is in the waiting group.

One thing to keep in mind is this guy is going to have to go through a pretty good physical. That could take time as well. Being a pitcher with his history, the physical isn't quite the lay up most players go through. Clinton Cole might be right because no one really has anything about him going anywhere else. 

• Thanks 1

Also if the market is as good as Grandal claims it is then Wheeler stands to gain by waiting rather than just outright signing. Unless the Sox are offering well and above what other teams are offering it doesn't really make sense to sign right now, 

Just now, bmags said:

I actually don't think it's wise for Wheeler to wait. I get the impression that the teams that would go after and pay Cole/Stras are teams that want Cole/Stras.

The secondary market is already set for a guy like him, and if anything waiting just removes suiters instead of making them more desperate.

There's a lot of mini-markets in the mlb offseason, it's not just one big tier system. I think he'll sign before christmas, I'd be surprised if he is in the waiting group.

I agree. I think if they were just as comfortable with Wheeler at his price point or the other guys which will be more than double, they would go after him first. 

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

Totally fine with people sharing what the hear. It's the getting indignant when people give you shit because they don't believe you or you end up being wrong that drives me nuts.

If you’re referring to Machado last year, I was privy to some of the information that the main “insiders” on here had, and they had every right to think they were getting Manny.

Just now, fathom said:

If you’re referring to Machado last year, I was privy to some of the information that the main “insiders” on here had, and they had every right to think they were getting Manny.

Just saying, in general.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic