Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

1 minute ago, fathom said:

If you’re referring to Machado last year, I was privy to some of the information that the main “insiders” on here had, and they had every right to think they were getting Manny.

Thank you for clarifying  this. That just proves that they are being fed info, sometimes wrong info.

Edited by Orlando

Take sources with a grain of salt.. HOWEVER, Everyone shitting on the sources last year (that had info) are probably going too far.. We most certainly had Machado UNTIL the Padres realized... omg, they're only offering 250?! I 100% believe we had Machado until the last minute, then Padres jumped in because we sucked as an org.

• Like 2

Just now, cjgalloway said:

Take sources with a grain of salt.. HOWEVER, Everyone shitting on the sources last year (that had info) are probably going too far.. We most certainly had Machado UNTIL the Padres realized... omg, they're only offering 250?! I 100% believe we had Machado until the last minute, then Padres jumped in because we sucked as an org.

I think a lot of what people were mad at was the implication that the sox were handling the negotiations really well and knew what they were doing, and when others brought up criticisms were shouted down. And then it didn't work out because of a lot of on-its-face incompetent negotiating.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

We had an insider saying the Sox would sign BOTH Machado and Harper. They both signed for less than he projected and the Sox were $50 million short on Machado, and didn't even engage with Harper when they found out Boras doesn't play the discount game. Even  for the opportunity to have Yolmer Sanchez dump a cooler of Gatorade on your head.  There was a lot of BS going on, and anyone who questioned it was villified as someone who was pretty clueless. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

Here's my concern:  The Sox made an offer to Grandal that he deemed good enough to sign, and he signed it.  The Sox have seemingly made a good offer to Wheeler (reportedly the highest so far), but that Wheeler apparently doesn't believe is good enough to sign right now.  That puts the Sox in a tough position similar to Machado last year -- they're in the lead but don't want to bid against themselves and up the offer to a "sign it now" price, so are left in a state of limbo while other teams have the opportunity to beat it.

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Here's my concern:  The Sox made an offer to Grandal that he deemed good enough to sign, and he signed it.  The Sox have seemingly made a good offer to Wheeler (reportedly the highest so far), but that Wheeler apparently doesn't believe is good enough to sign right now.  That puts the Sox in a tough position similar to Machado last year -- they're in the lead but don't want to bid against themselves and up the offer to a "sign it now" price, so are left in a state of limbo while other teams have the opportunity to beat it.

The Sox will have a chance to win the bid him. Wheeler doesn't want his market to shrink so he will take the best great deal quickly.  

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic