Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

We had an insider saying the Sox would sign BOTH Machado and Harper. They both signed for less than he projected and the Sox were $50 million short on Machado, and didn't even engage with Harper when they found out Boras doesn't play the discount game. Even  for the opportunity to have Yolmer Sanchez dump a cooler of Gatorade on your head.  There was a lot of BS going on, and anyone who questioned it was villified as someone who was pretty clueless. 

Oh Dick, how I’ve missed you

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

The article is a few weeks old but I haven't seen it shared anywhere so thought it worth mentioning: Kiley McDaniel at Fangraphs predicts his market is not what we think and that he'll sign at 4/$68M https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-top-50-free-agents/

FWIW, in that same article Kiley predicted Grandal at 4/$70M

I guess we will all be calling it a steal when he signs for under $100M.

Just now, cjgalloway said:

Seems strange to put Yolmer on waivers now to clear a space on the 40 man unless a signing is happening right?  I could be wrong since he was probably a non-tender anyways..

there's plenty of other low hanging fruit that could be cut loose if a signing was coming. Yolmer was gonna be on another team by spring training some way or another.

Just now, cjgalloway said:

Seems strange to put Yolmer on waivers now to clear a space on the 40 man unless a signing is happening right?  I could be wrong since he was probably a non-tender anyways..

My understanding of the process means it gives us a chance to clear a spot on the 40 earlier in the off-season as the decision to non-tender isn't due for a couple months. If our intention was never to bring him back, might as well start that process early to give ourselves flexibility, right?

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

My understanding of the process means it gives us a chance to clear a spot on the 40 earlier in the off-season as the decision to non-tender isn't due for a couple months. If our intention was never to bring him back, might as well start that process early to give ourselves flexibility, right?

Non-tender deadline is Dec 2.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Wasn't the Palka DFA announced simultaneously with the Grandal signing?  So no need to do this as a precursor to a signing.  Likely unrelated to Wheeler or any other free agent.

Yes, are waivers different though?  Like he is still on our roster until he officially clears? Then we can outright release him?

Edited by cjgalloway

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Wasn't the Palka DFA announced simultaneously with the Grandal signing?  So no need to do this as a precursor to a signing.  Likely unrelated to Wheeler or any other free agent.

They can announce that they've agreed to terms... but when the player passes their physical, then they have to be added to the roster, and someone has to go at that point.

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

My thinking as well. You always hear about agreements being reached and then a corresponding move within a day after.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic