Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

Merkin specifically calls out Zach Wheeler in his Yolmer Sanchez article:

Zack Wheeler
Sánchez’s reported move would drop the White Sox 40-man roster to 39. The team would need an open spot for any sort of free-agent addition, and the right-handed starter is a player who the White Sox had interest in. Any deal with Wheeler would mark another major step in the White Sox push to contention in ’20 and beyond, following the four-year, $73 million deal for catcher Yasmani Grandal and the three-year, $50 million contract for first baseman and organization staple José Abreu.

I don’t care what anyone says, something is fucking up...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Keuchel seems like he would be an absolute disaster in the heart of the summer at GRF...I know Atlanta has even more dramatic weather from June-August, but really want nothing to do with him unless the price is an absolute bargain...and there's too many other teams looking for pitching for that to occur, realistically.

Keuchel has weather issues?

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Merkin specifically calls out Zach Wheeler in his Yolmer Sanchez article:

I don’t care what anyone says, something is fucking up...

Lol, that is amazingly direct.  Pretty obvious this thing is in the works. 

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

It certainly seems that way, but why wouldn't the Sox just wait until a deal is official before pulling the trigger on the Yolmer thing?

I just read the full Merkin article, and I may have answered my own question. He says the team has not made any announcement or confirmed the Yolmer news yet. Perhaps they are waiting for the Wheeler deal (or some other deal) to get finalized before confirming the Yolmer news.

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, that is amazingly direct.  Pretty obvious this thing is in the works. 

Exactly, why would Merkin being up Zach Wheeler by name in an article that’s about Yolmer allegedly being outrighted.  I mean, freeing up a roster spot could be about any potential addition, so it’s very strange to call out Wheeler even if there is some smoke.  Plus he then goes to hype up what his addition would mean for the Sox.  Gun to head, I think a deal is in place and they’re just waiting on a physical to formally announce.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Think everyone is losing their mind over nothing direct at all. 

No one is losing their mind.  

And how is the Sox inside beat writer legitimately naming Zack Wheeler in a Yolmer article not direct?  "Zack Wheeler...The team would need an open spot for any sort of free-agent addition, and the right-handed starter is a player who the White Sox had interest in. Any deal with Wheeler would mark another major step in the White Sox push to contention in ’20 and beyond..." seems pretty direct to me.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly, why would Merkin being up Zach Wheeler by name in an article that’s about Yolmer allegedly being outrighted.  I mean, freeing up a roster spot could be about any potential addition, so it’s very strange to call out Wheeler even if there is some smoke.  Plus he then goes to hype up what his addition would mean for the Sox.  Gun to head, I think a deal is in place and they’re just waiting on a physical to formally announce.

Yah...I mean its one thing to mention a FA in an article about free agency.  Its quite another to mention it about a rumored but not club announced or confirmed waiver move freeing a roster spot.  I would say that is pretty promising coming from a guy like Merkin, who obviously is directly fed information and told how to disseminate it.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah...I mean its one thing to mention a FA in an article about free agency.  Its quite another to mention it about a rumored but not club announced or confirmed waiver move freeing a roster spot.  I would say that is pretty promising coming from a guy like Merkin, who obviously is directly fed information and told how to disseminate it.  

Exactly, at the very least there’s reason for optimism here.

If the Sox do land him, I just really hope the deal isn't insane.  Like it or not, the Sox are going to have budgetary restrictions, and a good way to fuck it is to pay a gross amount of money for a good not great pitcher.  We need to do it, but I just hope the deal is 5/$100M max.  Still a ton of risk in that deal for the Sox, IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s a good question and one I can’t answer.

Check out my post above yours. The Sox actually haven't officially announced the Yolmer news, so that could be the answer right there. They might be waiting for something else to be official.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

If the Sox do land him, I just really hope the deal isn't insane.  Like it or not, the Sox are going to have budgetary restrictions, and a good way to fuck it is to pay a gross amount of money for a good not great pitcher.  We need to do it, but I just hope the deal is 5/$100M max.  Still a ton of risk in that deal for the Sox, IMO. 

Maybe 5 years, Around $110M.

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Check out my post above yours. The Sox actually haven't officially announced the Yolmer news, so that could be the answer right there. They might be waiting for something else to be official.

There is frankly nothing to announce until he's claimed or clear waivers and is removed from the 40 man.  

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I did think it was interesting that there were no comments by Hahn about Yolmer today 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic