Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

Just now, ptatc said:

Great, on a day I will be working or flying all day. Going to have to buy the wifi on the plane, I guess,

I’m only partially serious, but IMO there is a ton of smoke and I think this Yolmer outright makes highly likely something happens today with Wheeler being the most probable.

30 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Could be wrong, but I still think Wheeler is going to wait it out. Signing before the 2 big arms go wouldn’t make much sense from a pure business stand point.

But hopefully our offer is good enough that he has to take it, we’ll see

Exactly.  Don't like it but would be a really bad move to sign early.  Wait for those 2 to get signed and let the teams left overpay him in a bidding war.  Hope I'm wrong!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Could be wrong, but I still think Wheeler is going to wait it out. Signing before the 2 big arms go wouldn’t make much sense from a pure business stand point.

Dallas tried that last year.  I am thinking the White Sox are going to overpay to end it early. 

53 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I think this is a misreading of the way baseball FA has worked recently.

Logic would indicate you have the teams looking to upgrade starting pitching, and as they miss on #1 on the list, they move to option 2, and so on and may get more desperate to make sure they don't miss out.

But in practice it has appeared teams may be willing to spend X for the top pitcher, but if they miss out they may just move to an entirely different set of pitchers on different budgets.

Last year the Yankees liked Corbin, missed out, and didn't then spend the $100 million on keuchel. They paid for JA Happ and traded for Gray.

The White Sox may like Wheeler for 5/100, but the yankees may either want Cole at whatever it takes, or move down to a year-by-year method of someone like Ryu or Miley, where they can then play the market again the next year until they get the elite talent locked up long term.

Each player has its own market it seems.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Justinsettle said:

Exactly.  Don't like it but would be a really bad move to sign early.  Wait for those 2 to get signed and let the teams left overpay him in a bidding war.  Hope I'm wrong!

The Sox, Twins, Braves, and/or Phillies could move on to Bum, Ryu, DK, Hamels, Miley, etc to ensure they get a quality starter. His market could dry up real quick if he waits another few weeks or so. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yes, I think we all pretty much agree.

If it happens today I will be happy for you and everyone else who has come to this conclusion. but, I don't think it will. It's just too much too hope for so early in the off season. It would be like the Braves and the Sox are the only ones doing anything so far.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HakunaMachado said:

Morning guys, so what is the consensus? Today is wheeler day?

I hope but I’m not holding my breath. Listening to the White Sox Talk podcast, it doesn’t seem like anything is close. Also, the Twins seem pretty confident in their chances as well. Hope the Sox pull this off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Great, on a day I will be working or flying all day. Going to have to buy the wifi on the plane, I guess,

On my last flight into Chicago in September I watched in flight movies for free on my phone but I didn't notice if wifi was free or not. I'd just stick to some good movies you haven't seen if you have to pay for wifi. The news or non news will still be here.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If it happens today I will be happy for you and everyone else who has come to this conclusion. but, and I don't think it will. It's just too much too hope for so early in the off season. It would be like the Braves and the Sox are the only ones doing anything so far.

We’ll find out soon enough!  If it doesn’t happen today, I think we’re looking at next week at the earliest.  I really don’t see a big move happening on Blackout Wednesday.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’ll find out soon enough!  If it doesn’t happen today, I think we’re looking at next week at the earliest.  I really don’t see a big move happening on Blackout Wednesday.

Imagine if it wasn't Wheeler but someone like Keuchel or Hamels. Everyone would be disappointed but I'd still be stoked that the Sox are working to make the team better. It's not like the rest of these pitchers are crap.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah Sox would never make a big move on Blackout Wednesday :)

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

Logic would indicate you have the teams looking to upgrade starting pitching, and as they miss on #1 on the list, they move to option 2, and so on and may get more desperate to make sure they don't miss out.

But in practice it has appeared teams may be willing to spend X for the top pitcher, but if they miss out they may just move to an entirely different set of pitchers on different budgets.

Last year the Yankees liked Corbin, missed out, and didn't then spend the $100 million on keuchel. They paid for JA Happ and traded for Gray.

The White Sox may like Wheeler for 5/100, but the yankees may either want Cole at whatever it takes, or move down to a year-by-year method of someone like Ryu or Miley, where they can then play the market again the next year until they get the elite talent locked up long term.

Even though his market is strong perhaps the guys with a draft pick attached might not want to wait too long since that hurts some guys last year (Keuchel and Kimbrel wasn't it ?)

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

1. It depends on how many teams are actually in on the Cole/Strasburg sweepstakes. If Wheeler’s agent know it’s 5/6 it wouldn’t make sense to sign now, but if there are only 2-4 it would make sense that the offers he’s getting now may be the best. 

2. I think this year is different with Wheeler being the clear consolation prize to the top arms. Keuchel had a lot ?’s and is pretty much the antithesis to Wheeler in terms of advanced stats and projection going forward. I suppose someone could view Ryu/Bum as just as good options, but those 2 seem to have niche markets. 

of course this is my interpretation from afar with 0 inside knowledge. 

9 hours ago, Sockin said:

It's almost like 2 guys in the media (Merkin and Chuck) are trying to capitalize off the wheeler stories by using them to generate views. Amazing.

Neither this nor merkins article meant anything. Wheeler isnt signing today.

The sox being able to keep a signing quite overnight was an anomaly, not the norm.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

It’s not a bad move if he gets paid what he wants. Once you start waiting things out, you lose suitors. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic