Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Do you guys actually think the Sox will get Wheeler?

After getting Grandal I know they are going to target him and offer a good contract.  Whether they offer the best contract or not I am not so sure on.

Wheeler would be an exciting signing, but there is a real chance he underperforms no matter who he signs with. I know Dan O’Dowd on MLB Network has said he wouldn’t touch him at the dollars he’ll end up with, but that’s just one opinion. The fit is there with the Sox and the money will be spent.

Just now, flavum said:

Wheeler would be an exciting signing, but there is a real chance he underperforms no matter who he signs with. I know Dan O’Dowd on MLB Network has said he wouldn’t touch him at the dollars he’ll end up with, but that’s just one opinion. The fit is there with the Sox and the money will be spent.

I'm willing to take the risk.

3 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

If Kopech needs more than 4-5 starts in the minors something probably went wrong. He’s already 12+ months removed from the surgery. Unless there’s something we don’t know I see no reason to baby Kopech along. Let him knock off some rust with a few short starts in AAA and let him loose. 

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

If Kopech needs more than 4-5 starts in the minors something probably went wrong. He’s already 12+ months removed from the surgery. Unless there’s something we don’t know I see no reason to baby Kopech along. Let him knock off some rust with a few short starts in AAA and let him loose. 

I’m staying down longer than that wouldn’t have anything to do with him needing to be there

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

Sure there's always that risk.  But outside of the top 2 he's the least risky best pitcher.

Ryu is fantastic when he's healthy, he just never is.  Then you are getting into downtrends like Keuchel and MadBum.  If the Sox sign Wheeler and he just sucks you can't blame the FO for that.

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This sums up my feelings as well.  Before he got hurt, Kopech was dominating AAA and the Sox deemed him MLB-ready.  Assuming full health, he should be in the Sox rotation.  MLB pitchers who get TJ surgery only make a few starts in the minors when they come back.

Yeah, Wheeler certainly isn't a great SP but a rotation with Giolito, Lopez, Wheeler, Cease and Kopech is really good assuming Kopech's healthy, Cease grows and Gio has a comparable year. I still like the idea of Hamels on a 1 or 2 year deal if/when Lopez struggles or there's an injury, but we'll see.

Edited by soxfan49

9 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

If you keep Kopech in AAA until late May, you get year of control back.  That is huge.  The guy isn't going to be able to pitch 180 innings next year....take it slow with him in AAA.  Call him up in early June.  I'd much rather have Kopech pitching for the Sox in August/Sep than in March/April. Its a no brainer, IMO.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Yeah, Wheeler certainly isn't a great SP but a rotation with Giolito, Lopez, Wheeler, Cease and Kopech is really good assuming Kopech's healthy, Cease grows and Gio has a comparable year. I still like the idea of Hamels on a 1 or 2 year deal, but we'll see.

Wheeler has untapped upside. He could be the next Charlie Morton as easily as he could flop. 

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah, Wheeler certainly isn't a great SP but a rotation with Giolito, Lopez, Wheeler, Cease and Kopech is really good assuming Kopech's healthy, Cease grows and Gio has a comparable year. I still like the idea of Hamels on a 1 or 2 year deal if/when Lopez struggles or there's an injury, but we'll see.

I’m on board for adding a lefty-HamelS, Ryu, Keuchel. If Lopez gets traded this offseason, so be it. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Wheeler has untapped upside. He could be the next Charlie Morton as easily as he could flop. 

I don't disagree.

He could be great, he could suck. Still, he's not great right now. $20m/year is a gamble, but it's also one I'd take.

5 minutes ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

What's the exact date he needs to stay down to regain that extra year of service time? Anybody know?

I dont know exact date, but he spent 37 games on the roster in 2018, so anything over that and Sox would get year back.  Late May is good guesstimate as the cutoff. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I don't disagree.

He could be great, he could suck. Still, he's not great right now. $20m/year is a gamble, but it's also one I'd take.

He had a 4.7 fWAR last season, and a 4.2 in 2018. He's fine right now. If his health issues are behind him, he should be fine. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

If you keep Kopech in AAA until late May, you get year of control back.  That is huge.  The guy isn't going to be able to pitch 180 innings next year....take it slow with him in AAA.  Call him up in early June.  I'd much rather have Kopech pitching for the Sox in August/Sep than in March/April. Its a no brainer, IMO.

Sure, but the tweet I quoted made it seem as if the Sox would sign 2 legit starters. Seems like a waste of resources to me. Sign 1 (wheeler) and then get a cheap guy that can make 10 or so starts and then shift to the pen. 

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What is up with the Gavin Lux reference? 

Lux was who the Sox had in mind for the Burdi(?) pick, so they've likely dealt with the agent to suss out bonus.

Edited by mqr

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I don't trust this dude. Just like all the "insiders" last year. Makes a bold claim and then gets all cryptic. If they sign him, he will claim he had a source, if they don't he will say he never said he was in the know. 

Except know this one has a real connection to the White Sox. He isn't just some dude. 

• Like 1

Pitching wants:

Wheeler: High ceiling and he joins Giolito at the top of rotation. 

Wade Miley: Left handed, veteran, could help teach the team the Astros way of handling and developing pitching. 

Rich Hill/Colin McHugh: Someone who can make multi inning outings out of the pen and make the occasional spot start and be used as an opener. 

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic