Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

30 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s not a tease, just that one of the biggest moves in Sox history took place on the day before Thanksgiving 

Maybe so but unless you're an expert on dates of signing like you apparently I have no idea who you are talking about. And it is a tease because since he seems convinced the Sox wouldn't sign anyone on that day and it doesn't happen today now he can get all hyped up for Blackout Wednesday when he wouldn't have. It's evil that's why I said I like it.

Edit. Saw it was the Thome trade.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

6 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

As negative as people are on this board about so many things, I’m kind of amazed at how jacked everybody is about the possibility the Sox could sign the third best pitcher on the free agent market (maybe) when we easily have payroll room for #s 1 and 2.  

(...Debbie Downer—wamp wah)

I don’t disagree with this, but I like Wheeler so it’s positive.

But yes, I don’t really see signing grandal or Wheeler as something that couldn’t have happened in history of white Sox. This doesn’t feel that different from 2015 in terms of jumping into the FA market - though I think more favorably on these guys.

But could be worse, could pay $100 million for Ozuna or something 

12 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

As negative as people are on this board about so many things, I’m kind of amazed at how jacked everybody is about the possibility the Sox could sign the third best pitcher on the free agent market (maybe) when we easily have payroll room for #s 1 and 2.  

(...Debbie Downer—wamp wah)

Yea we do have the room however even hoping for Wheeler is something that doesn't happen often. Consider this. He could be the largest dollar contract in White Sox history by breaking what we just signed Grandal for. So hoping for 2 record breaking contracts in 2 weeks is crazy enough. Cole or Strasburg is just a few degrees crazier.

People don't really consider the top 2 because they take paying the rest of the roster and other free agents into consideration and an expected payroll limit not just for this year but in the coming years. We are just being practical considering those restraints, as are all the teams going after Wheeler. His market might have more players than Cole and Strasburg for those reasons not particular to the Sox.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

If I was a gambling man I'd have the Sox and Twins above the Reds.  Twins have money, need pitching bad, and the window is open now. 

Maybe, but all three teams are going to want to spend 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea we do have the room however even hoping for Wheeler is something that doesn't happen often. Consider this. He could be the largest dollar contract in White Sox history by breaking what we just signed Grandal for. So hoping for 2 record breaking contracts in 2 weeks is crazy enough. Cole or Strasburg is just a few degrees crazier.

People don't really consider the top 2 because they take paying the rest of the roster and other free agents into consideration and an expect payroll limit not just for this year but in the coming years. We are just being practical considering those restraints, as are all the teams going after Wheeler. His market might have more players than Cole and Strasburg for those reasons not particular to the Sox.

I get it:  everybody has written off the possibility of the Sox getting the nicest thing, or even the second nicest.  We're thrilled we made a signing to get our payroll up to, what, the 30th percentile in MLB?  It's just strange everyone is so cheerful about these constraints we seem to have accepted.  The FO gets slammed unnecessarily (in my view) all the time on this board, but they've really put a spell on us here for some reason.

For the record, I don't think we need to accept it.  I am a broken record on this, but the *Sox have been a top 5 payroll team* in recent memory.  Don't know if they'll get there again, but at this point I see no reason to build a 120 million salary cap into all thinking and expectations about this team.

1 minute ago, Soxnfins said:

Reminds me of the Buehrle years & Sale years of us tbh.

Well I say that more as the offensive players available after Rendon aren’t that wonderful and then aren’t so expensive, so use your budget on a better pitcher then get cheaper and slightly less good offensive players.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Well I say that more as the offensive players available after Rendon aren’t that wonderful and then aren’t so expensive, so use your budget on a better pitcher then get cheaper and slightly less good offensive players.

I agree with that, you can never have enough pitching.  Just those 1 run and 2 run loses are going to be hard to stomach if the Reds are going to go that way.  Reminds me of Quintana.... Poor Jose

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Imagine if it wasn't Wheeler but someone like Keuchel or Hamels. Everyone would be disappointed but I'd still be stoked that the Sox are working to make the team better. It's not like the rest of these pitchers are crap.

If it was Keuchel and he was the TOR starter I'd have to get blacked out a day earlier and for all the wrong reasons.

3 hours ago, raBBit said:

I do

^^Awesome post

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's almost like 2 guys in the media (Merkin and Chuck) are trying to capitalize off the wheeler stories by using them to generate views. Amazing.

Neither this nor merkins article meant anything. Wheeler isnt signing today.

The sox being able to keep a signing quite overnight was an anomaly, not the norm.

^^Shitty post

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

^^Awesome post

^^Shitty post

Ray is right though. Both of them jumped on the hype wagon, Garfien's podcast was pretty nice though... but Merkin specifically produced several fluff pieces of literally nothing, based only on the obvious that Wheeler was a free agent and the Sox need a starting pitcher. 

3 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Ray is right though. Both of them jumped on the hype wagon, Garfien's podcast was pretty nice though... but Merkin specifically produced several fluff pieces of literally nothing, based only on the obvious that Wheeler was a free agent and the Sox need a starting pitcher. 

How have people not learned their lesson about "Insiders" from last offseason? 

:lookatme

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Ray is wrong about Merkin as his article is about Yolmer and the headline contains no mention of Wheeler.  He did not generate more clicks by adding Wheeler to it.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ray is wrong about Merkin as his article is about Yolmer and the headline contains no mention of Wheeler.  He did not generate more clicks by adding Wheeler to it.

True. Although I read the article, and I wouldn't have if there was no mention of Wheeler.

(I agree that it was not done to generate clicks)

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How have people not learned their lesson about "Insiders" from last offseason? 

:lookatme

We really need to stop with the blanket hating of insiders.  Yes, peavy44 was a fraud and plenty of random's pop up with claims of rumors, but guys like @raBBit, @Y2Jimmy0, & @iamshack are legit and either have sources or are connected to others that do.  If raBBit is optimistic about a Wheeler signing, then we should all be optimistic as it's likely based on some credible information.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic