Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

True. Although I read the article, and I wouldn't have if there was no mention of Wheeler.

(I agree that it was not done to generate clicks)

That's true, but we're also a very small portion of the fanbase that reads articles because other people on a message board mention them.  The vast majority of Sox fans just see a headline while skimming the Sox's actual site and decide whether they're going to read an article or not.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ray is wrong about Merkin as his article is about Yolmer and the headline contains no mention of Wheeler.  He did not generate more clicks by adding Wheeler to it.

Did you read the article? Its hot garbage and he is clearly "paid by the inch"

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We really need to stop with the blanket hating of insiders.  Yes, peavy44 was a fraud and plenty of random's pop up with claims of rumors, but guys like @raBBit, @Y2Jimmy0, & @iamshack are legit and either have sources or are connected to others that do.  If raBBit is optimistic about a Wheeler signing, then we should all be optimistic as it's likely based on some credible information.  

I don't think that it was your intention, but even singling out a few insiders and leaving the rest to be assumed in the "random pop ups with claims" line is effectively also blanket hating on the insiders you didn't specifically name. Not saying you need to comprehensive list, but it's implying those 3 named are the only 3 to trust with information.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24
  • Like 1

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I don't know that it was your intention, but even singling out a few insiders and leaving the rest to be assumed in the "random pop ups with claims" line is effectively also blanket hating on the insiders you didn't specifically name. Not saying you need to comprehensive list, but it's implying those 3 named are the only 3 to trust with information.

I TRUST CHILLI

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

^^Awesome post

^^Shitty post

Why? Because you told me I was a dope when I said nothing is imminent, and that Merkin didn't know anything nor was he implying anything - he was simply discussing a topic his "followers" would be interested in to generate clicks.

Still waiting on the announcement of Wheeler... 

I love optimism, but I hate all the smoke around Wheeler; it feels like there is no fire when smoke surrounds the White Sox and a signing.

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ray is wrong about Merkin as his article is about Yolmer and the headline contains no mention of Wheeler.  He did not generate more clicks by adding Wheeler to it.

You linked it after you read it, did you not?

As did many on twitter. That's how news spreads.

Implying that Merkin had some insider information and withheld it just goes against the way the FO has attempted to work this off-season and how they have worked so far this off-season.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We really need to stop with the blanket hating of insiders.  Yes, peavy44 was a fraud and plenty of random's pop up with claims of rumors, but guys like @raBBit, @Y2Jimmy0, & @iamshack are legit and either have sources or are connected to others that do.  If raBBit is optimistic about a Wheeler signing, then we should all be optimistic as it's likely based on some credible information.  

Or it's just based on reputation when he may no longer have inside info. That's no knock on him . We are all optimistic. It's the optimism based on nothing credible that's hard to stomach. We all see the same info but we don't draw the same conclusions and getting all worked up about it is silly. If it's meant to happen it will and nothing we can do will make it happen faster. Once rumors start flying everyone picks them up but it's all just hype based on one original tweet that sounded credible . I'll follow along like everyone else and I love the Soxtalk guys who posts stuff on twitter but everyone is just riding the same wave. Most riders are Barney's.

Cowabunga dude !

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You linked it after you read it, did you not?

As did many on twitter. That's how news spreads.

Implying that Merkin had some insider information and withheld it just goes against the way the FO has attempted to work this off-season and how they have worked so far this off-season.

I kind of agree with both you guys.  I don't think he did it to generate clicks, but I also don't believe he had any inside knowledge. I think he heard the smoke surrounding Wheeler and the White Sox just like we did and decided to add that part to his piece.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I kind of agree with both you guys.  I don't think he did it to generate clicks, but I also don't believe he had any inside knowledge. I think he heard the smoke surrounding Wheeler and the White Sox just like we did and decided to add that part to his piece.

Yolmer is not related to wheeler - I tend to agree with Dick here. This is merely doing Yolmer a solid by letting him hit the market sooner the others who will hit when non-tendered. Thats my opinion.

21 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Did you read the article? Its hot garbage and he is clearly "paid by the inch"

He is literally the Sox in-house beat writer.  He had no reason whatsoever to mention Wheeler in a Yolmer article, unless he was told to do so.  He doesn't benefit and the Sox don't benefit from pissing more fans off by getting their hopes up about a FA they aren't serious about.  

• Like 2

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

He is literally the Sox in-house beat writer.  He had no reason whatsoever to mention Wheeler in a Yolmer article, unless he was told to do so.  He doesn't benefit and the Sox don't benefit from pissing more fans off by getting their hopes up about a FA they aren't serious about.  

This is kind of where I stand with this.

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And those same 3 posters insisted, up and down and left and right and to literally everyone who would listen that they knew what the White Sox would do last season. They were completely and utterly wrong, and may well have been lying at some points - one of them famously said the Sox were "Walking through the open door" with regards to Harper late in negotiations and they didn't even bother putting in a real offer.

How many different ways could there be to interpret what the vague posts were? It could be "The White Sox are going to put a real offer up for Wheeler and will not let the Twins beat them." The exact same language could mean "The White Sox do not believe the Twins offer is realistic and see no reason to budge from their 5/$55 offer." 

Even if people have their information correct, it's a game of Chinese Telephone, where important details are always missing. Last year the White Sox genuinely believed they had Machado in the bag repeatedly, and the problem was the White Sox FO were idiots. None of the insiders bothered telling us that, but they were thrilled with everyone begging them for info, tagging them all the time asking what was up, following their twitter feeds, and clicking on their articles. 

It's literally :lookatme. Every single claim should be viewed as skeptical and people shouldn't be begging and tagging and asking over and over for info when we already know how low quality it is by the time it gets to us. Did anyone know the Grandal signing was coming? Why not? Because it was handled correctly - the guy was literally scouting our pitchers and we were wondering if anything was up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

But why would he be told to do so?  The White Sox don't want a repeat of last year, so I can't figure out why they would tell Merkin to add that part about Wheeler.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the Sox are purposely leaking Wheeler stuff while they go stealth mode on Cole or Strasberg. But that seems very unlikely.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And those same 3 posters insisted, up and down and left and right and to literally everyone who would listen that they knew what the White Sox would do last season. They were completely and utterly wrong, and may well have been lying at some points - one of them famously said the Sox were "Walking through the open door" with regards to Harper late in negotiations and they didn't even bother putting in a real offer.

How many different ways could there be to interpret what the vague posts were? It could be "The White Sox are going to put a real offer up for Wheeler and will not let the Twins beat them." The exact same language could mean "The White Sox do not believe the Twins offer is realistic and see no reason to budge from their 5/$55 offer." 

Even if people have their information correct, it's a game of Chinese Telephone, where important details are always missing. Last year the White Sox genuinely believed they had Machado in the bag repeatedly, and the problem was the White Sox FO were idiots. None of the insiders bothered telling us that, but they were thrilled with everyone begging them for info, tagging them all the time asking what was up, following their twitter feeds, and clicking on their articles. 

It's literally :lookatme. Every single claim should be viewed as skeptical and people shouldn't be begging and tagging and asking over and over for info when we already know how low quality it is by the time it gets to us. Did anyone know the Grandal signing was coming? Why not? Because it was handled correctly - the guy was literally scouting our pitchers and we were wondering if anything was up.

It's really not that serious

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yolmer is not related to wheeler - I tend to agree with Dick here. This is merely doing Yolmer a solid by letting him hit the market sooner the others who will hit when non-tendered. Thats my opinion.

I think that's the case.  If nothing else JR orgs are known for doing these sort of "solids" for guys.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yes he does, because "White Sox Wheeler" is going to be getting searches on Google News and so forth and now that article is going to turn up and there's a bunch of extra clicks for him.

Regarding all the previous posts too numerous to multi-quote: There's no reason for in-fighting because some choose to believe the hype while others don't. It is what it is . Some posts will age well and some won't. No one should be saying "I told you so" because if something does happen we are going to all be happy either way,(unless it's not the grand anticipated news.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I never lied about anything. Also, I've never claimed to be an insider. I blog about my favorite baseball team. That's pretty much it. This is funny though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic