Cole or Strasburg?

wegner

I can understand Cole’s petulance.

Like any great competitor, he undoubtedly believes that even though he’s almost never been used in relief his entire career...that he would have shut down the Nats in the 7th or at very worst kept it at a one run deficit with three more at-bats against a shaky pen at home.

• Like 1

I just finished listening to last week's Podcast, on NBC Chicago Sports website, discussing whether, or not, the Sox could/should try to acquire Cole. The discussions on this board are much more intelligent than what I just heard. I don't know how those guys have that job, but it's embarrassing.  "Yeah, I think the Sox should offer Cole 8 years, $310 Million. It's a pretty safe risk". Well, that's 30 minutes, I'll never get back. 

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I just finished listening to last week's Podcast, on NBC Chicago Sports website, discussing whether, or not, the Sox could/should try to acquire Cole. The discussions on this board are much more intelligent than what I just heard. I don't know how those guys have that job, but it's embarrassing.  "Yeah, I think the Sox should offer Cole 8 years, $310 Million. It's a pretty safe risk". Well, that's 30 minutes, I'll never get back. 

While I think Cole's actual contract will be a pretty smart risk (see how movable Greinke, Verlander's contracts have been), I would definitely be out at anything close to that dollar amount. Literally 20% higher than I'd consider..

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

While I think Cole's actual contract will be a pretty smart risk (see how movable Greinke, Verlander's contracts have been), I would definitely be out at anything close to that dollar amount. Literally 20% higher than I'd consider..

How about 8 years for $258,333,333.33?

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I agree. When I heard them try to argue that their suggested 8 year, $310 Million was a relatively "safe risk," I just shook my head. $37.5 Million per year, betting on a pitcher's arm, for 8 years, is far from a "safe risk". Again, listening to those clowns was a waste of time. Oh, and I should add that they were advocating a front end loaded contract, at $50 Million per year, for the first 4 years and a player opt out.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:32 PM, SonofaRoache said:

Didn't he also say he wasn't an employee of the Astros as well prior to his interview? 

All true. He was also told to be available for game 7 if they took the lead later but it was not clear if he was agreeing to do so. 

5 minutes ago, pcq said:

All true. He was also told to be available for game 7 if they took the lead later but it was not clear if he was agreeing to do so. 

Hinch said the agreement was for protecting a lead in the late innings...not sure how the 7th after the first homer didn’t qualify.

Or why a 3-2 deficit with three at-bats left to go suddenly disqualified him from pitching.

On 11/1/2019 at 7:50 PM, hi8is said:

Bauer is one strange dude though. 😆

While your DInosaur and Macaroni and cheese posts surely prove, you recognize weird when you see it . If anyone has any idea what those 2 posts meant besides you I'd be shocked unless I'm the dinosaur and am out of the loop. You know  you are the man Trev.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

While your DInosaur and Macaroni and cheese posts surely prove, you recognize weird when you see it . If anyone has any idea what those 2 posts meant besides you I'd be shocked unless I'm the dinosaur and am out of the loop. You know  you are the man Trev.

Mango.

4 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Interesting, bold indeed, but doubt JR is spending that kind of money

They would be in the upper 80 millions total payroll after arb if they signed him.  There is no reason to not go after him with how much flexibility we have.

Hot Take: Stone has been the anti-Cole to temper expectations so it doesn't end up in another PR explosion.

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

Do you remember any more details, regarding his rationale and how the other analysts reacted?

I didn't take it as anything but a bold prediction,not based on any insider info,just going against the grain that he will end up in So Cal and knowing the Sox can afford him if they chose to do so.