Cole or Strasburg?

wegner

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, but which Yankees' fans are going to shell out thousands of money in December or January for season tickets because they traded for Matthew Boyd?

Lol...why do you constantly think fanbases of playoff teams are going to jump ship because their offseason additions aren’t sexy enough?

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...why do you constantly think fanbases of playoff teams are going to jump ship because their offseason additions aren’t sexy enough?

Let's talk on Opening Day when we see the state of the White Sox fanbase.

For years, we heard they would abandon a rebuild in droves.  That hasn't happened, yet.   In fact, attendance grew a bit...at worst you could say stabilized, although pricing had to come down to a reasonable level from the early 2010's.

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

For years, we heard they would abandon a rebuild in droves.  That hasn't happened, yet.   In fact, attendance grew a bit...at worst you could say stabilized, although pricing had to come down to a reasonable level from the early 2010's.

The Yankees are not going to have a problem with attendance if they trade for Matthew Boyd. Yikes.

41 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The Yankees are not going to have a problem with attendance if they trade for Matthew Boyd. Yikes.

I didn't say they would have a "problem with attendance," which is already masked by the official attendance numbers in NYC disguised as empty seats.

I said no Yankees' fans were going to be particularly inspired by that type of off-season acquisition.

Now the argument with the White Sox has been that "winning the offseason" doesn't really mean much anymore...that the only thing that really matters is not stars like Machado or Harper, but WINNING.  Just win, baby! to quote Greg.  Or to quote the Washington Nationals/Dave Martinez.

Of course, recently, we haven't been either winning off-seasons or regular seasons.   Baseball, is, after all, about entertainment.  At a certain point, that means contract with a star or headliner...whether you're the Yankees, Twins or White Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But you were talking about the Yankees?  🤷‍♂

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Alright guys we are at a stalemate here, let's see what a yahoo news article has to say about this

When would any sports media source have something to say that EVERYONE at SoxTalk would put equal faith in?

There might be 3-5 trustworthy sources, at best.

And Jeff Passan, Tim Brown and Oz are undoubtedly more well connected than all the local Chicago baseball media.

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I didn't say they would have a "problem with attendance," which is already masked by the official attendance numbers in NYC disguised as empty seats.

I said no Yankees' fans were going to be particularly inspired by that type of off-season acquisition.

Now the argument with the White Sox has been that "winning the offseason" doesn't really mean much anymore...that the only thing that really matters is not stars like Machado or Harper, but WINNING.  Just win, baby! to quote Greg.  Or to quote the Washington Nationals/Dave Martinez.

Of course, recently, we haven't been either winning off-seasons or regular seasons.   Baseball, is, after all, about entertainment.  At a certain point, that means contract with a star or headliner...whether you're the Yankees, Twins or White Sox.

Thye may be empty but the tickets are sold. The seats you tend to see on TV are almost always corporate tickets. Teams offer give attendance as ticlets sold not people through the turnstile. Also notice in New York that seats empty in the first few innings fill up by 3rd-4th. I used to think it was people moving down but I found it was late arrivals due to traffic and eating dinner before the game. Boston is pretty much  the same for 7:00pm starts. 

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Sox need to ask themselves are they currently good enough to attract premium free agents short of an overpay? 

Sure we are improving and have talent in the pipeline, but is that enough to persuade FA's with many suitors? I'm not certain we are there yet. 

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

Sox need to ask themselves are they currently good enough to attract premium free agents short of an overpay? 

Sure we are improving and have talent in the pipeline, but is that enough to persuade FA's with many suitors? I'm not certain we are there yet. 

Who cares? Pay a fair contract. Win the bidding for someone and don't mess around with other "brilliant" ideas.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Yankees dont overpay anymore. They will bid market value and certainly can be beat now. This isnt the 1990 yankees anymore.

They are no different than other interested teams at this point. You should be more concerned with the lesser likely organizations overpaying than the yankees at this point.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yankees dont overpay anymore. They will bid market value and certainly can be beat now. This isnt the 1990 yankees anymore.

They are no different than other interested teams at this point. You should be more concerned with the lesser likely organizations overpaying than the yankees at this point.

Pretty much this, and they are already sporting a payroll of around 218 million going into 2020.  They are also still considering Gardner and Didi.

I find it HIGHLY unlikely they are playing with a 250+ million dollar payroll next year. They are much more likely to move assets in a trade.

I can easily predict which team gets either of these two.  The team that over pays “market value”.  I hope Hahn realizes this after last year.  The visits don’t matter in the majority of cases- especially won’t matter to Cole.  I say offer him 40 mil a year front loaded 7 yr contract with opt out after yr 3 or 4. Make it so we can trade him after 3 yrs if any of our guys become legit #1 and #2 starters.  That way we can use him to retool again near the end of our window while dumping salary.  

11 hours ago, Sarava said:

This is the guy to sign if the Sox really want to win a World Series. Nobody else available will be even close to as valuable as Cole. 

Agreed.  It's a bit disappointing that the Sox are apparently not taking a "seat at the table" and at least trying to pursue this guy, what with the team's unprecedented financial flexibility. 

I mean, I thought Hahn said the team would compete for the premium talent once the time was right to do so.  The time is now right to do so, yet, where are the White Sox with regards to Cole?  Why can the Rangers, Phillies, and Giants have a seat at this table, and not the Sox?  

1 minute ago, Thad Bosley said:

Agreed.  It's a bit disappointing that the Sox are apparently not taking a "seat at the table" and at least trying to pursue this guy, what with the team's unprecedented financial flexibility. 

I mean, I thought Hahn said the team would compete for the premium talent once the time was right to do so.  The time is now right to do so, yet, where are the White Sox with regards to Cole?  Why can the Rangers, Phillies, and Giants have a seat at this table, and not the Sox?  

Cause Jerry owns the team and doesn't like giving pitchers large and long contracts 

2 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Last offseason the Padres didn't have a seat at the table...until they did.

5 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Not sure why you think the Sox are not taking a seat at the table. I know Jerry has not spent like this in the past but I don't see where anyone in the org says they are not interested in Cole.

1 minute ago, NotHahn said:

Not sure why you think the Sox are not taking a seat at the table. I know Jerry has not spent like this in the past but I don't see where anyone in the org says they are not interested in Cole.

Because they aren't being linked, JR's refusal to give out big contracts for pitchers, etc.

I think it's goofy as well though to say the Sox are out right now.  Nobody knows except our FO.

7 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Because Scott Merkin and Steve Stone have both publicly stated that the Sox would not be pursuing Cole.  So couple that with tweets that don't mention the Sox in on the guy, and that's why I think the Sox aren't taking a seat at the table. 

Now maybe that changes at some point, and I hope that it will, but at this point in time, it doesn't appear the team will be competing for Cole's services.