Cole or Strasburg?

wegner

5 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Because Scott Merkin and Steve Stone have both publicly stated that the Sox would not be pursuing Cole.  So couple that with tweets that don't mention the Sox in on the guy, and that's why I think the Sox aren't taking a seat at the table. 

Now maybe that changes at some point, and I hope that it will, but at this point in time, it doesn't appear the team will be competing for Cole's services.  

If I were the Sox and I was going to pursue Cole, I would act exactly this way and tell Stone and Merkin to say exactly what they said.  After being let down with Machado, I would not want the same thing to happen.

Now, that doesn't mean we ARE pursuing Cole.  We very well might not have any interest in him. I just think that this is the perfect way to act if we were going after him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Because Scott Merkin and Steve Stone have both publicly stated that the Sox would not be pursuing Cole.  So couple that with tweets that don't mention the Sox in on the guy, and that's why I think the Sox aren't taking a seat at the table. 

Now maybe that changes at some point, and I hope that it will, but at this point in time, it doesn't appear the team will be competing for Cole's services.  

Merkin and Stone both not part of the front office. Not saying it's going to happen but I know the Sox are going to be an under the radar team this year (kind of like the Padres last season). Probably cause of last seasons free agent debacle. I wouldn't count them out unless Hahn or KW comes out and says so. Don't listen to twitter.

6 hours ago, bmags said:

Except aligns 100% with 30 years of public declarations and actions that JR hates long term deals with pitchers.

Cue Rick Hahn...

"They said we'd never enter a rebuild, and we did that. They said we'd never make a trade with the Cubs, and we did that.  They said we'd never go into the penalty to sign a big international guy, and we did that..."

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Cue Rick Hahn...

"They said we'd never enter a rebuild, and we did that. They said we'd never make a trade with the Cubs, and we did that.  They said we'd never go into the penalty to sign an big international guy, and we did that..."

JR has entered a rebuild and traded with the cubs several times while owner. 

Hahn's checklist gimmick is idiotic. If he believes those checklist items align with winning then he needs to explain why they hadn't done them before. If he thinks they aren't, then why should we care?

It's meatball theatre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotHahn said:

Merkin and Stone both not part of the front office. Not saying it's going to happen but I know the Sox are going to be an under the radar team this year (kind of like the Padres last season). Probably cause of last seasons free agent debacle. I wouldn't count them out unless Hahn or KW comes out and says so. Don't listen to twitter.

Maybe.  I don't know how you know this for sure, but I guess it's a possibility. 

But it doesn't matter if they are above or under the radar.  To get Cole, they'll have to pay top dollar and beat out the usual big spenders.  That hasn't been in Reinsdorf's wheelhouse to do so the past four decades, if you haven't noticed.  Not for a pitcher, anyway.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

JR has entered a rebuild and traded with the cubs several times while owner. 

Hahn's checklist gimmick is idiotic. If he believes those checklist items align with winning then he needs to explain why they hadn't done them before. If he thinks they aren't, then why should we care?

It's meatball theatre.

They said we shouldn’t select Nick Madrigal so high...or Vaughn.  They said we could never have the #1 ranked farm system again, etc.

Does it really matter when he’s part of the same braintrust trading away Top 3 MVP candidates in Semien and Tatis to other teams, blowing up the payroll simultaneously to the point there was no other realistic choice but to rebuild?

• Haha 1

Sure, for Alvarez and Tucker...if we didn’t have so much uncertainty in the pitching staff, it would be something to consider.  Obviously, they wouldn’t be getting both those guys.  

Reddick and Alvarez for Giolito would be at least interesting to consider...if the White Sox were determined to sign Wheeler and one other legit FA starting pitcher.   

Edited by caulfield12

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, for Alvarez and Tucker...if we didn’t have so much uncertainty in the pitching staff, it would be something to consider.  Obviously, they wouldn’t be getting both those guys.  

Reddick and Alvarez for Giolito would be at least interesting to consider...if the White Sox were determined to sign Wheeler and one other legit FA starting pitcher.   

Your obsession with Reddick is bizarre.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Some dude on MLBN said Giolito has come up in trade talks with Houston

“We’re going to need at least a year to evaluate all of you offensive players after you’ve stopped banging on things before we make a trade with you.”

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Your obsession with Reddick is bizarre.

I have posted his name approximately 3-4 times this entire offseason.

Obviously, I’d rather have Tucker...but Astros probably wouldn’t deal him straight up for Giolito.  

Or maybe they’re acknowledging Cole is gone, Verlander/Greinke will be declining and Wheeler might leave their price range.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Obviously, I’d rather have Tucker...but Astros probably wouldn’t deal him straight up for Giolito.  

Or maybe they’re acknowledging Cole is gone, Verlander/Greinke will be declining and Wheeler might leave their price range.

Giolito isn't going anywhere.  A team coming out of rebuild mode doesn't trade their ace.  It would take an absurd overpay to get Gio.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Alvarez and Whitley might be a good trade for Giolito. Would have to sign Cole, Strausburg or Wheeler to make up for the loss of Gio. Eloy Robert Alvarez would be an excellent outfield.

2 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Some dude on MLBN said Giolito has come up in trade talks with Houston lol?

He did say the Sox said fuck off but weird.

Richard Justice columnist on MLB.com same as Anthony Castrovince who made the bold prediction about the Sox signing Cole.

Justice seems to like talking about the Sox more than any other MLB columnist. He's been on 670 the Score talking about the Sox rebuild a few times over the last couple years.

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

Giolito isn't going anywhere.  A team coming out of rebuild mode doesn't trade their ace.  It would take an absurd overpay to get Gio.

But he’s also had TJ, was the worst pitcher in baseball in 2018 and will get more and more expensive from 2021-23.

It’s obviously a bold and unusual move, but if you got back Alvarez/Tucker AND a pitcher (Whitley had a really rough year, and Houston normally doesn’t part with their best prospects), and the staff was 100% confident on Whitley’s prognosis, they’d be foolish to at least not consider it.

For all we know, Lopez could be the ace of the rotation or relegated to the pen/traded by the end of the year, young pitching is so volatile these days.

It’s also impossible to make this move unless you start convincing a Moncada or Robert to sign an extension, knowing that after 2023, nothing is certain with this roster.  We push hard now...keep pushing the rebuild back indefinitely.

Edited by caulfield12

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It would HAVE to be Tucker and Whitley for Giolito.  Anything less than that would be cray cray.  Reddick is close to worthless with his contract.

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

It would HAVE to be Tucker and Whitley for Giolito.  Anything less than that would be cray cray.  Reddick is close to worthless with his contract.

I think trading that kind of talent is going to require Giolito showing he can sustain his success for at least 2-3 months...in which case Hahn couldn’t trade him.

The Astros need to dump Reddick’s contract to take on another bigger deal...essentially, making it Tucker, Whitley and Reddick for Giolito and the financial flexibility to lock in Wheeler or perhaps even Cole (that last eventuality seems highly unlikely) for the Astros.

• 3 weeks later...