Jump to content
wegner

Cole or Strasburg?

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

These pipedream threads are fun, but let's be real here... this is the White Sox we're talking about, and the team ain't signing Cole or Strasburg. At least they'll have a seat at the table though.

I have to wonder if it really makes sense to spend that kind of money on a guy that is out there every 5 days. Cole wont win the division for this team.  As bad as the staff was last year I don't have any confidence in Cooper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I have to wonder if it really makes sense to spend that kind of money on a guy that is out there every 5 days. Cole wont win the division for this team.  As bad as the staff was last year I don't have any confidence in Cooper.

Not that I expect them to sign Cole. But if they did, they absolutely could win this division. Because they're not going to spend a fortune to sign sign Cole and then leave all the other holes wide open. This team has the potential to get ridiculous and fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

These pipedream threads are fun, but let's be real here... this is the White Sox we're talking about, and the team ain't signing Cole or Strasburg. At least they'll have a seat at the table though.

Which table the adult or the kiddie table. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

I mean... if you consider the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc as the "fine dining" of professional baseball, the White Sox are the Chinese takeout counter that is protected with bulletproof glass.

So Rick's "seat at the table" is probably one of those $4 walmart TV dinner stands.

/metaphors

Nah, the Sox are the empty restaurant that's been shut down for multiple health code violations. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 7:09 PM, kitekrazy said:

I have to wonder if it really makes sense to spend that kind of money on a guy that is out there every 5 days. Cole wont win the division for this team.  As bad as the staff was last year I don't have any confidence in Cooper.

If you want to ask whether spending large sums of money on starting pitching is still worth it...check out the last couple world series winning teams. Lester '16, Verlander '17, Price/Porcello/Sale '18, Sherzer/Strasburg/Corbin '19. The losing teams have had big time starters too, Kluber and company, Kershaw and co, Verlander/Cole/Greinke.

Frankly, the last few years, the only team to even make the world series without a huge money starter was Cleveland, and they had a loaded rotation developed internally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

...and they had a loaded rotation developed internally.

Can’t we have both? Please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hi8is said:

We never get the fun shiny things.

This just might be the year.  Keep the faith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

This just might be the year.  Keep the faith.

PoopieSox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Sigh.  Here we go again, getting the hopes of the fanbase up.

It's like being an Iowa football or basketball fan and thinking they MIGHT get a McDonald's/Parade All-American or 4-5 star recruit when going up against Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and Carolina.

 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sigh.  Here we go again, getting the hopes of the fanbase up.

It's like being an Iowa football or basketball fan and thinking they MIGHT get a McDonald's/Parade All-American or 4-5 star recruit when going up against Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and Carolina.

 

Yep. That combined with the yanks interest in Garrit Cole on top of it....but at least we have a seat again this year 🙄

Edited by HahnsKiddieTable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I still think they make a trade instead of adding a big contract through FA.  Maybe Boyd from DET.

Unless they're convinced he can be a TOR starter with some tweaks, they'll need to do better than that.

Thor or deGrom or Stroman would make more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, caulfield12 said:

Unless they're convinced he can be a TOR starter with some tweaks, they'll need to do better than that.

Thor or deGrom or Stroman would make more sense.

Sure but the Mets for one aren't trading any of those players, and for 2 it wouldn't be to the Yankees.

They have a lot of pieces in the minors and 40 man they need to shed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Sure but the Mets for one aren't trading any of those players, and for 2 it wouldn't be to the Yankees.

They have a lot of pieces in the minors and 40 man they need to shed.

Unless they do like the Cubs did with Q and decide that Cano and Cespedes are shot and that reinjecting a bunch of new talent across 3-4 positions is the way to go...especially with the ticking time bomb of high velocity starters' elbows these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Unless they do like the Cubs did with Q and decide that Cano and Cespedes are shot and that reinjecting a bunch of new talent across 3-4 positions is the way to go...especially with the ticking time bomb of high velocity starters' elbows these days.

I don’t follow at all what you’re talking about here.  What did the Cubs do with Quintana that has anything to do with “shot” players in reinjecting a bunch a new talent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t follow at all what you’re talking about here.  What did the Cubs do with Quintana that has anything to do with “shot” players in reinjecting a bunch a new talent?

Lol.

The Yankees have Frazier/Andujar or Urshela/Tauchman/Bird/Voigt all as possible trade pieces depending on what they do.

Andujar and Frazier is a decent starting package for a rebuilding AL team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t follow at all what you’re talking about here.  What did the Cubs do with Quintana that has anything to do with “shot” players in reinjecting a bunch a new talent?

The point made was that the Yankees and Mets will never trade.

Well, we said the exact same thing about the Cubs and White Sox for a decade...until it happened. 

 

The Yankees couldn't use EXACTLY 1 or 2 of those pitchers in 2020?

You could argue they might even be better off giving away extra prospects than investing $300+ million of new money into Cole.

 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Lol.

The Yankees have Frazier/Andujar or Urshela/Tauchman/Bird/Voigt all as possible trade pieces depending on what they do.

Andujar and Frazier is a decent starting package for a rebuilding AL team.

Sure, but which Yankees' fans are going to shell out thousands of money in December or January for season tickets because they traded for Matthew Boyd?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, but which Yankees' fans are going to shell out thousands of money in December or January for season tickets because they traded for Matthew Boyd?

 

?  I 'm pretty sure they will be fine.  They are also already at 218 million and will be in year 2 of the tax 2020.  Even with Ellsbury coming off next year they have "concerns" if you can even call it that with their budget.   I find it highly unlikely they are going to be playing with a 250+ million dollar payroll next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×