Predict the Market: FA Contracts

Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

What kind of fool would give Betts the same money as Machado and throw in two quality players as well?   That's who is spamming.

I certainly would and doubt Boston would allow it.

Edited by hi8is

15 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I certainly would and doubt Boston would allow it.

You can't have it both ways.  Last year you pro Machado guys said his skillset and age were a rare once in a lifetime/generational opportunity to acquire Machado at the astronomical cost of 300 million.  One team stepped up and paid the price.  Less than one year later you guys find another generational player but this time your conclusion is he's worth 300 million plus two quality players.  Thank God RH has a little more self control than some of you.

28 minutes ago, poppysox said:

You can't have it both ways.  Last year you pro Machado guys said his skillset and age were a rare once in a lifetime/generational opportunity to acquire Machado at the astronomical cost of 300 million.  One team stepped up and paid the price.  Less than one year later you guys find another generational player but this time your conclusion is he's worth 300 million plus two quality players.  Thank God RH has a little more self control than some of you.

I think they failed unbelievably bad with Machado/Harper. They absolutely should have acquired one or both. Machado would have been a slam dunk for this team. 

I have no problem going after Betts even harder. The w'Sox are not going to be a top team with waht they have. They need to make a big add at some point likely in both OF and SP. 

34 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yes.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

What kind of fool would give Betts the same money as Machado and throw in two quality players as well?   That's who is spamming.

Sanchez is getting non-tendered and the last thing in the world the Red Sox would right now is an overpaid utility player.  I get your Mr Optimism and this board could certainly use some of that, but your post was straight up ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I think they failed unbelievably bad with Machado/Harper. They absolutely should have acquired one or both. Machado would have been a slam dunk for this team. 

I have no problem going after Betts even harder. The w'Sox are not going to be a top team with waht they have. They need to make a big add at some point likely in both OF and SP. 

I agree with your assessment of our needs (SP & RF) in addition to DH and RP.  Simply don't believe in overpay to the same extent some of you would.  I am not advocating cheep...just prudent.  Giving up 300 million plus two quality players for one player is an astronomical drain on resources.  Wheeler, Ryu, Grandal and Pederson would be my way to spend money.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Wheeler, Ryu, Grandal and Pederson would be my way to spend money.

I'm starting to come around to the idea of something like : Wheeler, Ryu, Grandal, Castellanos. Not a huge fan of Pederson. 

But that would be a very interesting offseason. A lot of timebombs there with Ryu and Wheelers deals possibly blowing up in our faces, but I'd at least consider that an A offseason. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm starting to come around to the idea of something like : Wheeler, Ryu, Grandal, Castellanos. Not a huge fan of Pederson. 

But that would be a very interesting offseason. A lot of timebombs there with Ryu and Wheelers deals possibly blowing up in our faces, but I'd at least consider that an A offseason. 

Four players whoever they are spreads the risk.  RF is definitely the position I am most at sea about.  As you know...every player talked about has some glaring weakness.  A one year rental of Pederson would cost a body of some sort...Castellanos looks to have some defensive issues...Calhoun is thought to be lack luster signing...and the guy I mentioned this morning Tsutsoga is anyone's guess.  I kind of think RH is liable to pull a name we haven't talked about...after all...that's what he gets paid to do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Four players whoever they are spreads the risk.  RF is definitely the position I am most at sea about.  As you know...every player talked about has some glaring weakness.  A one year rental of Pederson would cost a body of some sort...Castellanos looks to have some defensive issues...Calhoun is thought to be lack luster signing...and the guy I mentioned this morning Tsutsoga is anyone's guess.  I kind of think RH is liable to pull a name we haven't talked about...after all...that's what he gets paid to do.

My prediction is he trades for Dylan Carlson. 

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

There is zero percent chance that Boston would trade Betts, one of the very best players in the game - even if only for a year - for a guy that is going to be nontendered and a guy that has 2 years of control but will miss the majority of 1 season with TJS. To suggest otherwise is just plain silly. 

4 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Does anyone know the Sox payroll total is for 2020 as of now factoring in Abreu’s contract?

3 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

It's low 70's I think.  I BELIEVE it was 53 million after arb and before Abreu, projected obviously.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/payroll/

As of this moment, their active payroll stands just shy of 48M. If every player was tendered a contract at their estimated totals (except Goins since he already elected free agency so I cut him out) and including Yonder's 1M buyout, the payroll would come out to just over 64.5M.