Tonight's game showed why Abreu can't be our 1st baseman

ron883

I like Abreu, but I don't think being concerned about his defense is attacking him. I also want him to remain on the team. But I think many under-estimate the value of a good defensive first baseman. In the case of the White Sox, it is even more important with a developing pitching staff. If the team wants to contend, the defense must improve.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I like Abreu, but I don't think being concerned about his defense is attacking him. I also want him to remain on the team. But I think many under-estimate the value of a good defensive first baseman. In the case of the White Sox, it is even more important with a developing pitching staff. If the team wants to contend, the defense must improve.

If I was the GM of a contending team in need of a productive 1st basemen...I would go after Abreu.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Watch the Twins go after him

I'd laugh so hard. 

This franchise really is governed by Murphy's Law, and even that might be optimistic. 

Whatever can go wrong, will not only go wrong but will go wrong in the worst way imaginable. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Sox should have a plan. I would think they woulda been ready to sign Jose right after the WS. Are they actually gonna let this take a while? Maybe some contender will offer him 16 mill a year and then we won't even sign him probably. It seems like we aren't planning on contending next season so maybe they'll actually let Jose walk if it takes too long and the price is a bit too high.

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

We are going to overpay Abreu. His production warrants like 1/5 contract something like Mike Adams got does anyone think that is what he will get?

He most definitely warrants a contract much higher than Matt Adams‘ 1/$4M last offseason if that’s what you’re referring to.  2/$30M seems like a fair deal for both sides.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He most definitely warrants a contract much higher than Matt Adams‘ 1/$4M last offseason if that’s what you’re referring to.  2/$30M seems like a fair deal for both sides.

I think he had a 1m buyout which made it essentially 1/5m. In any case he shouldn't be expensive. We can't make trades like Castillo then somehow justify overpaying Abreu

We can just offer Jose the QO. It'll be what, 18mil? He declines the QO and he won't get ANY good offer due to the loss of a pick attached to him. He wouldn't get 2/30mil, unless  he waits it out like Kimbrel and Keuchel. Overpaying for only 1 year isn't that bad with Jose. Hamstring him with the QO.

On 11/2/2019 at 9:39 AM, fathom said:

Watch the Twins go after him

This will be an interesting signing cause the consensus of the board has been that Abreu will be lucky to get two years, maybe an option for a third year. Nobody is talking 4-5 years. If somebody really really likes Jose I wonder if they'd commit five years to him. I'll stick with my prediction of 2 years 26 million with a third year option, but again, none of us really know what the market will pay for Jose. I'm so used to reading negative stuff about his defense I figure he'll be lucky to get over 10 mill a year for 2 years. But the baseball world might value him more than we think. We shall see.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This will be an interesting signing cause the consensus of the board has been that Abreu will be lucky to get two years, maybe an option for a third year. Nobody is talking 4-5 years. If somebody really really likes Jose I wonder if they'd commit five years to him. I'll stick with my prediction of 2 years 26 million with a third year option, but again, none of us really know what the market will pay for Jose. I'm so used to reading negative stuff about his defense I figure he'll be lucky to get over 10 mill a year for 2 years. But the baseball world might value him more than we think. We shall see

The Sox can severely limit his options by offering him the qualifying offer. That way it is a 1 year deal. If he is great, you sign him the next year. He declines it and his stock is very limited. 

12 hours ago, ron883 said:

The Sox can severely limit his options by offering him the qualifying offer. That way it is a 1 year deal. If he is great, you sign him the next year. He declines it and his stock is very limited. 

Have the White Sox even remotely hinted that they want to play hardball with Abreu with this new contract coming up?  

No?  

Then why do you keep coming up with these silly scenarios that are completely out of touch with the very obvious reality of the situation.   

15 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Have the White Sox even remotely hinted that they want to play hardball with Abreu with this new contract coming up?  

No?  

Then why do you keep coming up with these silly scenarios that are completely out of touch with the very obvious reality of the situation.   

Yea the aren't going to offer him the qualifying offer when he'd probably take 30% of the AAV on a 1+1 type deal with a vesting or even club option for 2022.  The Sox have leverage here beyond just offering the qualifying offer if we take Jose's words about "wanting to be a Sox forever" at face value, which why wouldn't we?

Edited by chitownsportsfan

On 11/4/2019 at 10:57 AM, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea the aren't going to offer him the qualifying offer when he'd probably take 30% of the AAV on a 1+1 type deal with a vesting or even club option for 2022.  The Sox have leverage here beyond just offering the qualifying offer if we take Jose's words about "wanting to be a Sox forever" at face value, which why wouldn't we?

Aged well .

On 11/4/2019 at 12:42 PM, Thad Bosley said:

No?  

Thad Bosley, wrong again. What's new?!

On 11/4/2019 at 12:21 AM, ron883 said:

Nice post Ron, I agree and hope they give Jose just a QO.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ron883 said:

Thank you sir. People here don't like giving me credit when I'm correct, especially regarding Abreu. @CaliSoxFanViaSWside especially

If you paid any attention to my posts I've been pushing for Abreu to play more DH because of his fielding. It's the main reason why I don't want to pay for a DH and would rather build the depth with guys like Grandal, Collins and Moustakas who can all play 1st.