Sox trade rights to Welington Castillo to rangers

bmags

1 minute ago, Quin said:

The money won't be spent.

Money will be spent.  It will be spread out across multiple mediocre players instead of using it on a few key ones.  Players are like a lottery ticket to the whitesox.  Spread the wealth around and hope one surprises you.  

1 minute ago, mqr said:

My understanding is that this was money that wasn't spent for this past J2, so what in world is the appeal for the Rangers acquiring this money?

They have the next 8 months to spend the money. J2 doesn't mealy July is the only time you can sign people. The window remains open until mid-June. If they want to sign any amateurs that pop up between now and then (and there are a lot with the Cuban defections), they need this money.

And for those who dont respect IFA remember some of these 16 year olds that get signed, turn into guys like Juan Soto.  I for one would like a wildcard or two and hope they pan out.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/nationals-sign-dominican-outfielder-juan-soto/c-134216106

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 2

If they weren't spending the money and didn't like anyone, whatever honesty. It's cheap, for sure, but if they're penny pinching that pool to maximize the mlb pool then fine... if that's the mental gymnastics Hahn has to play to maximize what he had to spend it's fine but embarrassing as well.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If they weren't spending the money and didn't like anyone, whatever honesty. It's cheap, for sure, but if they're penny pinching that pool to maximize the mlb pool then fine... if that's the mental gymnastics Hahn has to play to maximize what he had to spend it's fine but embarrassing as well.

500k is a rounding error on a FA offer.  

https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/10/31/20942330/texas-rangers-transactions-wellington-castillo-chicago-white-sox-free-agents

As expected, Rangers declining options on Jones and Castillo.   Enjoyed comments on the player they acquired.   Another never even was version of Jon Adkins.

Fwiw, In the Dallas Morning News, says they are looking to spend approximately $30 million this offseason.

16 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

And for those who dont respect IFA remember some of these 16 year olds that get signed, turn into guys like Juan Soto.  I for one would like a wildcard or two and hope they pan out.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/nationals-sign-dominican-outfielder-juan-soto/c-134216106

Or Irquidy out of Mexico City for just $100k, White Sox were outscouted by Astros...gee, it would be nice if we had a pitcher like that so as not to spend nearly $10 million on a Nova.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/08/rangers-sign-bayron-lora.html

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/rangers-trade-for-international-pool-money-to-sign-bayron-lora/

Waiting for a story on the next player the Rangers sign with our IFA money.

Edited by caulfield12

43 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Theoretically they saved themselves $750k. $500k buyout on Castillo and $250k they could have spent in the international free agent market.

This is correct, and turned the opportunity to spend $250k into actual $500k.

A side note...kind of surprised to see Abreu on that list of those who elected free agency already. Isn't the initial negotiating period 5 days? Thought he would at least negotiate explicitly with the Sox for that time period before officially electing free agency.

I also am a bit surprised they didn't offer Osich a contract. I know that's not the worst thing in the world, but he did well in the 2nd half and I think deserved another year at least, especially being a lefty. Boston obviously sees something in him.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's not even acceptable then. All the talk about sustained success can never be realized until they start valuing how a 16 yr old can turn into a superstar .

Every year they should be rolling the dice on some of these 16 year old players.  If one hits its worth it.  The fact that we opt out is overly dumb.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It’s definitely embarrassing, but I don’t think this is entirely money driven.  I feel they somehow botched the recruitment process with this class after signing Robert and there is simply nothing of significance left to spend it on that isn’t already tied to another organization.  Whatever the truth is, our LatAm operations are a complete mess and a worldwide draft can’t come soon enough.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s definitely embarrassing, but I don’t think this is entirely money driven.  I feel they somehow botched the recruitment process with this class after signing Robert and there is simply nothing of significance left to spend it on that isn’t already tied to another organization.  Whatever the truth is, our LatAm operations are a complete mess and a worldwide draft can’t come soon enough.

Yeah, the problem isn't that they're selling off the slot, it's that they haven't already used it. After you failed to spend it it, why not ship it off? We already know, and have discussed plenty, that they botched this signing period, this is just rehashing that.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

A side note...kind of surprised to see Abreu on that list of those who elected free agency already. Isn't the initial negotiating period 5 days? Thought he would at least negotiate explicitly with the Sox for that time period before officially electing free agency.

Hopefully the Sox told him to test the market before handing out a dumb multi year offer...most likely not though 

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's not even acceptable then. All the talk about sustained success can never be realized until they start valuing how a 16 yr old can turn into a superstar .

Oh I 100% agree, given the ROIs, not spending your full pool is just plain stupid.  That being said, I will care far less if they end up adding multiple impact talents in free agency.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh I 100% agree, given the ROIs, not spending your full pool is just plain stupid.  That being said, I will care far less if they end up adding multiple impact talents in free agency.

Of course we are all more concerned about the immediate future but that doesn't make the slightly more distant future concerns go away. It just pushes them to the background until the next time the Sox trade IFA money or give away some intl, prospect like Tatis who turns into a stud.