Sox trade rights to Welington Castillo to rangers

bmags

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I wonder who made the first phone call on this.  Was this something the Rangers proposed and they said sure what the hell or if they were actually shopping this bullshit around the league and found a taker.  

I am guessing it was the Rangers as they already knew the White Sox are always game for anything that makes the checking account balance a little bigger.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I wonder who made the first phone call on this.  Was this something the Rangers proposed and they said sure what the hell or if they were actually shopping this bullshit around the league and found a taker.  

Had to be the Rangers looking for more IFA money and since they got some not that long ago in the Nate Jones trade they just went to the same well again.

"Mr. Hahn, the White Sox have had international signing penalties for the last 2 seasons and thus they were limited in how they spent their money. However, this year, the White Sox had a large international signing pool available to them and those 2 full seasons where they could have been scouting players prior to the penalties expiring. However, despite those advantages, the White Sox chose not to spend all their international money on players that could have made them better in the long term, instead signing only a handful of players and sending excess money off to Texas in exchange for a pittance of extra money in a year where the payroll was already extremely low. While I'm sure you're happy with the players you did get, as White Sox fans watching this behavior, how can we judge your failure to take advantage of all your available international funds to mean anything other than the money this year was more important to the front office than winning, and how can we interpret these trades to mean anything other than teams like Texas clearly care more about winning than you do?"

Anyone wants to ask it at Soxfest? Already written.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

"Mr. Hahn, the White Sox have had international signing penalties for the last 2 seasons and thus they were limited in how they spent their money. However, this year, the White Sox had a large international signing pool available to them and those 2 full seasons where they could have been scouting players prior to the penalties expiring. However, despite those advantages, the White Sox chose not to spend all their international money on players that could have made them better in the long term, instead signing only a handful of players and sending excess money off to Texas in exchange for a pittance of extra money in a year where the payroll was already extremely low. While I'm sure you're happy with the players you did get, as White Sox fans watching this behavior, how can we judge your failure to take advantage of all your available international funds to mean anything other than the money this year was more important to the front office than winning, and how can we interpret these trades to mean anything other than teams like Texas clearly care more about winning than you do?"

Anyone wants to ask it at Soxtalk? Already written.

I think you mean SoxFest at the end . Even with penalties you could sign some really athletic kids with a willingness to work hard at baseball for up to $300K who slips through the cracks. At that age it's like trusting the sculptors to mold that piece of clay into a ballplayer; Long odds . yes but you literally have someone who will do anything to avoid a life of substandard living. Of course we haven't seen many signs that the sculptors in our organization are Michelangelo .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

22 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I’m guessing the Rangers asked about acquiring our slot money, while Hahn came up with this scenario.

41 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

A side note...kind of surprised to see Abreu on that list of those who elected free agency already. Isn't the initial negotiating period 5 days? Thought he would at least negotiate explicitly with the Sox for that time period before officially electing free agency.

I also am a bit surprised they didn't offer Osich a contract. I know that's not the worst thing in the world, but he did well in the 2nd half and I think deserved another year at least, especially being a lefty. Boston obviously sees something in him.

It wasn't that they didn't offer Osish a contract.  They tried to slip him through waivers (likely in hopes that they could in fact retain him), and he got claimed.  If they had zero interest in him whatsoever, they could have outrighted him with the others a day or two ago, or just waited until non-tender deadline and non-tender him then.   

Edited by ChiSox59

46 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

A side note...kind of surprised to see Abreu on that list of those who elected free agency already. Isn't the initial negotiating period 5 days? Thought he would at least negotiate explicitly with the Sox for that time period before officially electing free agency.

Are players in exclusive negotiations not considered official free agents? 

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

99% sure it was @bmags

If true then I would expect a response such as " He still could be , just for less money ." Besides he still doesn't know that there's only 1 L in Welington. How can I take him seriously ? ;)

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Jon Jay gets $4 million and this team can't use their pool money to sign players . Instead trading it for financial savings. If money is so tight dont blow it on what you blow it on. In the end this probably makes no difference because they weren't going to sign anyone.  But why is a left question. It seems after Hahn  broke out his checklist for everyone and he was able to check the take a penalty internationally box, they have  become even more conservative in that area. Almost a been there done that time to move along thing.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Jon Jay gets $4 million and this team can't use their pool money to sign players . Instead trading it for financial savings. If money is so tight dont blow it on what you blow it on. In the end this probably makes no difference because they weren't going to sign anyone.  But why is a left question. It seems after Hahn  broke out his checklist for everyone and he was able to check the take a penalty internationally box, they have  become even more conservative in that area. Almost a been there done that time to move along thing.

They spent every year for a good half decade or more leading up to Robert and now all of a sudden they don’t like anyone.  To me, it’s all a front for some sort of fuckup and they’re trying to get anything they can for the money they can’t spend.