Sox trade rights to Welington Castillo to rangers

bmags

I mean...I am not defending the move at all, but if you weren't going to use it, may as well get something for it, even if its just saving $500k. 

The fact that they didn't spend it is what is a fucking joke.  But that is not new information - we've known that for awhile.  Sure, someone else could pop up, but I think most guys worth signing have been signed, or are already being courted by another team.

As balta suggested, I do hope someone asks Hahn specifically about this move and the Jones move at Soxfest.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean...I am not defending the move at all, but if you weren't going to use it, may as well get something for it, even if its just saving $500k. 

The fact that they didn't spend it is what is a fucking joke.  But that is not new information - we've known that for awhile.  Sure, someone else could pop up, but I think most guys worth signing have been signed, or are already being courted by another team.

As balta suggested, I do hope someone asks Hahn specifically about this move and the Jones move at Soxfest.  

I plan on flying in for it and that will be one of many questions I’ll consider asking.

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Are players in exclusive negotiations not considered official free agents? 

I am by no means an expert on any of this, but how I understand it, teams aren't able to sign players whose contracts have expired from other teams until 5 days after the World Series    ( or 3 apparently depending on the contract)...so I am wondering if Abreu declaring free agency the first day after the World Series means he can now negotiate with any team he wants, instead of needing to wait until, what, Tuesday next week?

Edited by ScooterMcGee

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

I am by no means an expert on any of this, but how I understand it, teams aren't able to sign players whose contracts have expired until 5 days after the World Series    ( or 3 apparently depending on the contract)...so I am wondering if Abreu declaring free agency the first day after the World Series means he can now negotiate with any team he wants, instead of needing to wait until, what, Tuesday next week?

He has to wait until Tuesday of next week.  Pretty sure almost every single potential free agent files day one.

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I am by no means an expert on any of this, but how I understand it, teams aren't able to sign players whose contracts have expired from other teams until 5 days after the World Series    ( or 3 apparently depending on the contract)...so I am wondering if Abreu declaring free agency the first day after the World Series means he can now negotiate with any team he wants, instead of needing to wait until, what, Tuesday next week?

There wouldn't be a point of the exclusive negotiation window if the player can just choose to bypass it. 

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

$500K here than another $500K there...pretty soon it becomes money.

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

$500K here than another $500K there...pretty soon it becomes money.

Yep wasted money on a washed-up free agent instead of 3-4 wild card intl FA.  As an owner, if you’re worried about freeing up 500k, you should sell immediately.

Edited by fathom
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If true then I would expect a response such as " He still could be , just for less money ." Besides he still doesn't know that there's only 1 L in Welington. How can I take him seriously ? ;)

It ain’t over til it’s over fellas

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep wasted money on a washed-up free agent instead of 3-4 wild card intl FA.

To be so sure there are not players worth signing, you’d have to feel like you have the most well tuned latam operation in baseball. The fact that it’s a crap shoot should make them even less confident in their MO of signing small classes and trading for old bullpen relievers. This is a strategy issue, so it’s Hahns fault, but he’ll blame Paddy.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep wasted money on a washed-up free agent instead of 3-4 wild card intl FA.  As an owner, if you’re worried about freeing up 500k, you should sell immediately.

I don't care if they got nothing for him...I just want him gone.

5 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

What's the story on this Jonah McReynolds dude? Anybody ever heard of him?

Trying to find his UBER rating

5 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Another penny pinching move by the Sox. Jerry Reinsdorf is pathetic.

Exactly why we shouldn't get our hopes up in FA

5 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

And for those who dont respect IFA remember some of these 16 year olds that get signed, turn into guys like Juan Soto.  I for one would like a wildcard or two and hope they pan out.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/nationals-sign-dominican-outfielder-juan-soto/c-134216106

Precisely, don't get why CWS doesn't participate

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Or Irquidy out of Mexico City for just $100k, White Sox were outscouted by Astros...gee, it would be nice if we had a pitcher like that so as not to spend nearly $10 million on a Nova.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/08/rangers-sign-bayron-lora.html

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/rangers-trade-for-international-pool-money-to-sign-bayron-lora/

Waiting for a story on the next player the Rangers sign with our IFA money.

Thought I was the only one who heard that anecdote from Buck/Smoltz, unreal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I plan on flying in for it and that will be one of many questions I’ll consider asking.

Just do your homework on it. Go over the list of White Sox transactions for the last 5/6 years or so and find out how many times they traded it away. It's got to be at least 6 times considering it was 2 in the last couple of months. Have a list in your head of the players they received in those transactions since a few of them were basically 18-23 yr olds and also keep in mind that they have used some of that money to sign the brothers of Eloy and Tatis,jr.and finally their proclivity to signing older intl. FA agents like the one from last year, I believe it was the one known around here as Yogurt Sanchez ? Probably also would help to know that even if they had penalties just when those penalties started and when exactly they ended and that they were still capable of signing guys but no one over $300K. It's a tricky topic and to really put Hahn on the spot you really have to know your stuff.

Oh yea one more thing to add on an edit here. I'd also go over every team and try to find as many players as possible who are pretty good players now who were signed when they were 16 or 17 and the amount they signed for. That's usually pretty hard to find and takes a lot of digging. I'd start with division rivals since I know the Twins have a few in Kepler and Rosario and i think another one.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Just now, elrockinMT said:

We knew Castillo was gone so it’s hard to criticize this move 

Nah it's pretty easy to criticize given 4 pages of mostly criticism. And these are posters who pretty much disagree about  who the Sox can sign this winter and just how much money the Sox will spend. As a group pretty much all of them are in unison on this one.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just do your homework on it. Go over the list of White Sox transactions for the last 5/6 years or so and find out how many times they traded it away. It's got to be at least 6 times considering it was 2 in the last couple of months. Have a list in your head of the players they received in those transactions since a few of them were basically 18-23 yr olds and also keep in mind that they have used some of that money to sign the brothers of Eloy and Tatis,jr.and finally their proclivity to signing older intl. FA agents like the one from last year, I believe it was the one known around here as Yogurt Sanchez ? Probably also would help to know that even if they had penalties just when those penalties started and when exactly they ended and that they were still capable of signing guys but no one over $300K. It's a tricky topic and to really put Hahn on the spot you really have to know your stuff.

Oh yea one more thing to add on an edit here. I'd also go over every team and try to find as many players as possible who are pretty good players now who were signed when they were 16 or 17 and the amount they signed for. That's usually pretty hard to find and takes a lot of digging. I'd start with division rivals since I know the Twins have a few in Kepler and Rosario and i think another one.

Usually, thebaseballcube.com is the best site to find transactions, agents, signing bonuses, signing scouts, etc.

Just plug in the names.

You'd have to also look at Polanco, Arraez, Berrios, Rosario, Sano (he was a big bonus, Michael Ynoa and Sano were so famed in that class a documentary movie was made about it).

The Indians would be the other natural place to look, going across their roster.   Of course, as someone noted, just getting Luplow, Mercado and Reyes has been a boon for them, enough to keep them from tearing things down and auctioning off the rest of their pitching staff, Lindor and Jose Ramirez (when his value has fully rebounded, will take another half season.)

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Of course, as someone noted, just getting Luplow, Mercado and Reyes has been a boon for them, enough to keep them from tearing things down and auctioning off the rest of their pitching staff,

That would be the person you just quoted,

As far as finding player transactions I just type 2019 ( or 2018, 2017 etc.) White Sox player transactions into google and then have multiple sources to compare to each other and see who provides more info than the others. Like Baseball reference will have the list starting at November of 2018 but ends at the middle of Oct.2019 so they are a few weeks behind but they will list the trading of intl. money.

CBSSports.com won't even list the Jones and Castillo moves so that's not a good place to look.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They spent every year for a good half decade or more leading up to Robert and now all of a sudden they don’t like anyone.  To me, it’s all a front for some sort of fuckup and they’re trying to get anything they can for the money they can’t spend.

What years did the Wilder scandal start and end and how did it affect the following years ? Probably should know that too.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What years did the Wilder scandal start and end and how did it affect the following years ? Probably should know that too.

I wonder if that would have affected the Sox and their dealings with any buscones. Don't they usually sell off some of these young kids to teams well before they are even able to sign with anyone? Might be why the Sox don't have a presence in some of those markets and seem to rely on the Cuban connection far too often.