Sox trade rights to Welington Castillo to rangers

bmags

On 10/31/2019 at 2:53 PM, fathom said:

Wasting more international money to avoid paying the buy out

The genius part of this is it doesn't actually cost the white sox any money. It's the allotment of what they can spend. Genius move for ownership at least as a fan that bonus money is pretty much the life blood of bringing in international talent.

Cheap bastards

On 11/2/2019 at 6:35 AM, Thad Bosley said:

Wonder if that even matters much to him, a billion dollars later.   

No, because he did win the WS and he has all the pictures and tapes to look at from 2005 to prove he's a success. When Jerry bought the Sox, their last WS appearance was 1959 and only other WS titles were 1906 and 1917. So his legacy in his mind is that one WS title.

Guys, has anyone considered the fact that the Sox will forefeit $500,000 in INTL spending if they sign a qualifying offer FA?

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

Assuming they're still allowed to keep/trade that money (i.e. it's not stripped), the two trades with Texas now make way more sense.  If they're expecting to land a QO free agent they can't spend it anyways...think when we trade INTL money while in the penalty from Robert.

9 minutes ago, username said:

Guys, has anyone considered the fact that the Sox will forefeit $500,000 in INTL spending if they sign a qualifying offer FA?

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

Assuming they're still allowed to keep/trade that money (i.e. it's not stripped), the two trades with Texas now make way more sense.  If they're expecting to land a QO free agent they can't spend it anyways...think when we trade INTL money while in the penalty from Robert.

They will lose 500K in the following year's pool, and they will not be able to trade the money they forfeited during free agency.

6 hours ago, username said:

Got it, you 100% positive on that?  If so then back to square 1.

It's basically all gone from this years pool money. Between who they did sign and what they traded away . If all the sources i was reading are correct it's possible they have slightly less than $500K left after I added up the cost of who they signed, how much they traded away and what the starting point was.