WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

3 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

He also walks a ton... He's a great addition. He is what we do not have.  High OBP.

I agree; they need to control their K/BB ratio and this is a huge step in that direction. I'm just saying when he slumps he really slumps with the bat - he's had a season hitting 220. I have no issues with it, I just think there will be some fans that complain about his style. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

Are we better with a right handed hitting RF now?  Does this take us out of the running for Catellanos?

Personally, I'm good with spending the rest of the free agent $ on pitching now.

Wheeler and Calhoun and I am more than happy.

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is huge for A LOT of reasons. Let's see if I can summarize my thoughts on why this is a huge signing.

1. Timing: The White Sox just inked a major free agent before the Winter Meetings. This means they learned to go in with a top dollar bid and not play games. They signed him in COMPLETE silence; the last update on the market was that it was slow moving and yet, here we are 1 hour later signing Grandal.

2. Silence: However stupid this may be, this team is significantly better when they operate behind closed doors without a ton of leaks and bravado. When they shut up and get it done, that's when there are results. 

3. Only the beginning: This is the FIRST signing; this leads me to believe that Grandal was one of the main priorities. This also confirms that his market wasn't as big as many thought. Regardless, I think the Sox may have quite a few larger offers on the table right now trying to wrap up negotiations early.

This has me hyped. Don't stop now boys.

100% agree.  Getting a big signing early sends a message that we’re not fucking around and obviously fills massive needs (LH hitting / OBP / framing).  If I’m Zach Wheeler and I now look at the Sox, I’m telling myself “fuck it, let’s win a World Series on the Southside next year” and taking a 5/$100M deal at the Winter Meetings.  Honestly, this is just the start of what should be a fucking crazy offseason for us.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So you think this is going to be the only big move they make... on November 21st, 2019... before the Winter Meetings even start?

NO matter what this team does, someone will make it negative. Amazing honestly.

Classic Sox fan mentality.  Just conditioned for the worst despite all signs pointing towards a real change. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I mean I didn’t say any of that so

You literally just said:

"Come on man, because it’s what the White Sox have always done. Get one 32 year old guy, and PR the fuck out of it. You’re gonna hear “we went and signed the richest contract in franchise history” a lot this year. "

The implication there was this will be their splash, they'll overplay the signing and return to the status quo now. I'm not sure how else I was supposed to read this quote but for negatively. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  Getting a big signing early sends a message that we’re not fucking around and obviously fills massive needs (LH hitting / OBP / framing).  If I’m Zach Wheeler and I now look at the Sox, I’m telling myself “fuck it, let’s win a World Series on the Southside next year” and taking a 5/$100M deal at the Winter Meetings.  Honestly, this is just the start of what should be a fucking crazy offseason for us.

i love you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m in the Eminor camp on this one. Prefer the big money be spent towards pitching and I sure hope this doesn’t prevent them from doing so...

Reports are that they are pursuing Wheeler. Even if they swing and miss on top pitchers, Grandal's framing, power, and OBP are a huge need and asset to this team going forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

wait, do you really think Grandal and Wheeler make the Sox World Series contenders?

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, go look at his stats dude.  He's one of the more elite OBP guys in the league - AND HE CATCHES! 

I guess I should have tealed.  I know what's up with Grandal, plus he played in MKE this year, got to watch him a lot.  Every chance I got when he was AB this year, I shouted "We want all the Cubans on the South Side, Yas!" I work in Chicago, live in WI lol.

Edited by Soxnfins