WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

They’ve always liked Grandal...makes me wonder if Castellanos is next. It’s funny that Hahn mentioned the 4 big needs and then signs someone else to a huge deal.

I think this move signals several things:

• Grandal is effectively our DH addition even though he’ll play 100+ games at catcher
  • Collins will be the primary DH against RHP to open next year and will likely only get a little time at catcher
  • McCann will be the primary backup catcher next year, primarily against LHP and when Giolito starts (Grandal will DH most of these days)
  • Mercedes is the contingency plan at 3rd catcher / DH in the event Collins flops
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think they'll both catch about 1/2 the games. Grandal will start at 1st base and DH though.

Yeah, I think close to a 50/50 split with Mccann will be ideal.  Grandal is an elite pitch framer but saving his knees and getting him 600 at bats will be better for the Sox IMO.  

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think this move signals several things:

• Grandal is effectively our DH addition even though he’ll play 100+ games at catcher
  • Collins will be the primary DH against RHP to open next year and will likely only get a little time at catcher
  • McCann will be the primary backup catcher next year, primarily against LHP and when Giolito starts (Grandal will DH most of these days)
  • Mercedes is the contingency plan at 3rd catcher / DH in the event Collins flops

This is accurate, although I do think Abreu will DH quite a bit with Grandal, Collins and maybe even a little McCann mixed in at 1B.

Edited by ChiSox59

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This does not take them out of Wheeler/Ryu/Madbum category. 

They were never signing the top 2.  

I would argue Wheeler is in a tier of his own, and I think he’s gonna get $100M. And I fear that this puts a wheeler in jeopardy.

MadBum/Keuchel/etc. are solid 3/4 starters. Getting one of those guys and calling it an offseason is exactly what I fear. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why would this take them out of the running? You think they're going to be 1 and done? Grandal isn't even that massive of a contract; the length ends perfectly with the core as well.

Come on man, because it’s what the White Sox have always done. Get one 32 year old guy, and PR the fuck out of it. You’re gonna hear “we went and signed the richest contract in franchise history” a lot this year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I hope so. 

I hope I’m wrong that this takes them out of the running for high end pitching. 

I think it’s pretty clear at this point they plan on adding several impactful additions instead of just one whale.  While I would have loved Cole, Grandal plus Wheeler (if we can land him) may end up being a more effective use of resources.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This makes up for the pain of last season. But hopefully this move is just the first of many. Now get Wheeler and Castellanos.

I came to post something along these lines, nice signing but hope we get one other major piece and not let this be the only thing of note.  

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I would argue Wheeler is in a tier of his own, and I think he’s gonna get $100M. And I fear that this puts a wheeler in jeopardy.

MadBum/Keuchel/etc. are solid 3/4 starters. Getting one of those guys and calling it an offseason is exactly what I fear. 

Come on man, because it’s what the White Sox have always done. Get one 32 year old guy, and PR the fuck out of it. You’re gonna hear “we went and signed the richest contract in franchise history” a lot this year. 

So you think this is going to be the only big move they make... on November 21st, 2019... before the Winter Meetings even start?

NO matter what this team does, someone will make it negative. Amazing honestly.

• Like 5