WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

I don't need the White Sox to be market setters for the biggest contracts in the leagues history. 

I need the White Sox ready to compete for the good/very good talent that exists just under that tier. The point of the rebuild was to supplement high end talent with real MLB caliber players. Stars and Scrubs doesn't work anymore. You could argue the Sox already have two Elite Horses (Yoan and Gio) and that they're not as desperate to add elite MLB talent for huge commitments... the point of the rebuild was to decrease your risk in this market, and I think this is playing out that way. I would still love a Cole signing, but I understand why the team wouldn't be committed to that tier of players. Having great young players already mitigates the risk.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

This deal doesn’t make much sense if we aren’t going to go get some pitching. You can have the best player in the game behind the plate but if you got scraps throwing the ball you only can do so much 

Just to be clear, Giolito was a top 10 starter in all of baseball last year.  Kopech & Cease were amongst the top 10 RHP prospects in all of baseball in last year’s Pipeline rankings.  Lopez is a 2 win starter with untapped upside.  If you go out and sign Wheeler and a one-year stop-gap like Gio Gonzalez along with Rodon coming back healthy in the 2H, then the rotation will be loaded with talent & potential.

And don’t underestimate how much Grandal’s framing will help guys like Giolito & Lopez.  As good of a game caller McCann seems to be, framing is most definitely a weakness and our guys suffered as a result (obviously Castillo didn’t help either).  This is going to be a legit game changer for our stuff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Soxnfins said:

I guess I should have tealed.  I know what's up with Grandal, plus he played in MKE this year, got to watch him a lot.  Every chance I got when he was AB this year, I shouted "We want all the Cubans on the South Side, Yas!" I work in Chicago, live in WI lol.

My misake, homie.  

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Just to be clear, Giolito was a top 10 starter in all of baseball last year.  Kopech & Cease were amongst the top 10 RHP prospects in all of baseball in last year’s Pipeline rankings.  Lopez is a 2 win starter with untapped upside.  If you go out and sign Wheeler and a one-year stop-gap like Gio Gonzalez along with Rodon coming back healthy in the 2H, then the rotation will be loaded with talent & potential.

And don’t underestimate how much Grandal’s framing will help guys like Giolito & Lopez.  As good of a game caller McCann seems to be, framing is most definitely a weakness and our guys suffered as a result (obviously Castillo didn’t help either).  This is going to be a legit game changer for our stuff.

I'd be shocked if Grandal caught Giolito very much next year.

3 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

I guess I should have tealed.  I know what's up with Grandal, plus he played in MKE this year, got to watch him a lot.  Every chance I got when he was AB this year, I shouted "We want all the Cubans on the South Side, Yas!" I work in Chicago, live in WI lol.

Are you rooting for Puig for RF?

8 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Reports are that they are pursuing Wheeler. Even if they swing and miss on top pitchers, Grandal's framing, power, and OBP are a huge need and asset to this team going forward.

That’s your opinion and I have mine on the 31 year old catcher. Just hope he doesn’t turn into Wellington offensively now that he’s been paid!

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Haha 3

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That’s your opinion and I have mine on the soon to be 32 year old catcher. Just hope he doesn’t turn into Wellington offensively now that he’s been paid!

Come on. Welington's best year was a 2 WAR season. 

Grandal is about 100 times better than Welington Castillo.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It would be fun to complete the Cuban National Team on the South Side; even though I'm not very interested in Puig.

Just having Puig and Tim Anderson to drive people nuts is enough reason for me to want him around. Let's play heel.

But fun heel, not like Astros heel.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You literally just said:

"Come on man, because it’s what the White Sox have always done. Get one 32 year old guy, and PR the fuck out of it. You’re gonna hear “we went and signed the richest contract in franchise history” a lot this year. "

The implication there was this will be their splash, they'll overplay the signing and return to the status quo now. I'm not sure how else I was supposed to read this quote but for negatively. 

It’s definitely negative; it’s definitely NOT “this is the only significant move they’re going to make.”

I think my worry comes from the fact that I am tending to rank the pitchers on the market this year way differently than most seem to. I think they will get pitching, but my opinion is that there are fewer difference makers available than it seems, and those guys are at the top of the market. And while we all know that there’s still plenty of room on the payroll to fit literally anyone, we also both know that the White Sox just broke their record for a contract, and it’s pretty unprecedented for a team to do that and then go beat it again by another 40% in the same offseason.

If they get Wheeler, I’m fine with this. But I think it’s fair to be worried that this could mean they’re gonna end up with Keuchel instead.