WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Does this make Collins the odd man out? If McCann is playing DH and 1B some, Abreu is our primary 1B with some DH, and Grandal is our primary catcher, it seems like Collins is on the block. Especially with Vaughn on the fast track

Possibly, but we could easily rotate Grandal, McCann, Collins, and Abreu among C, DH, and 1B.  Should still be plenty of at-bats to go around.

Does this make Collins the odd man out? If McCann is playing DH and 1B some, Abreu is our primary 1B with some DH, and Grandal is our primary catcher, it seems like Collins is on the block. Especially with Vaughn on the fast track

No, its been explained in depth - but its literally the perfect platoon.

Grandal plays everyday.

McCann catches against LHP, Grandal to DH or 1B.

Collins gets a few starts per week at DH against RHP. 

Only way Collins is left out is if they add a LH DH, which I don't see them doing.  

I'll be the negative guy and get sh*t on for it and I don't care. This signing is a C- in my opinion. Again in my opinion.

The good: It signals that we aren't going to sit around and accept anymore losing seasons. It gives us a nice OBP guy, fills a position of need and LHB. 

The bad: This move works for 2 years or so, but those probably won't be the two years we need him the most. In those years you're basically signing yourself up for an $18mm DH/1B and backup catcher who is going to hit .240, with like a .320 OBP and hit 15 home runs tying up capital in 2022 and 2023 when we really need that money the most. Aka, you're getting Yonder Alonso or any other average hitter that would cost 1/3rd of that. Again in a very Hahn move we could've just kept Navarez and applied $65-70mm elsewhere, but here we are. 

This isn't about 2020 since we're not winning any playoff series, so it's kind of a waste to get the best out of someone when it doesn't matter. 

Just my two cents. 

I'll take the signing, but it better not limit us in 2 years when it truly matters. 

29 minutes ago, wegner said:

Are we better with a right handed hitting RF now?  Does this take us out of the running for Catellanos?

Personally, I'm good with spending the rest of the free agent $ on pitching now.

If you assume this means Collins is our primary DH against RHP, we can now add a right-handed bat in RF and maintain enough balance.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Grandal plays everyday.

Only way Collins is left out is if they add a LH DH, which I don't see them doing.  

I would bet that McCann catches Gio; these catcher/pitcher relationships are always unique and interesting. Gio doesn't give a shit about McCann's framing stats I would guess; he likes the homework he does, the game he calls and the way he receives him personally.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I was literally taking a shit at work when this leaked and I ran out screaming to a bunch of people in Nashville who could give two fucks about the Sox.  I can’t undersell how pumped I am about this.  Him & Wheeler have always been 1A & 1B for me and landing one of them before the calendar even hits December is fucking wild.  To me, this is proof they aren’t fucking around and fully expect two more impact additions (SP & RF) before all is said & down this offseason.

+100.  I was skipping down the halls, surrounded by twins fans.  

• Love 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Grandal plays everyday.

Thank you - haven't poured through the whole thread yet

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Why on earth would you want to DH McCann?? Collins is obviously an unknown, but McCann is known...as a bad hitter. McCann has plenty of value to the Sox as a backup catcher, no need to overthink it as anything more 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'll be the negative guy and get sh*t on for it and I don't care. This signing is a C- in my opinion. Again in my opinion.

The good: It signals that we aren't going to sit around and accept anymore losing seasons. It gives us a nice OBP guy, fills a position of need and LHB. 

The bad: This move works for 2 years or so, but those probably won't be the two years we need him the most. In those years you're basically signing yourself up for an $18mm DH/1B and backup catcher who is going to hit .240, with like a .320 OBP and hit 15 home runs tying up capital in 2022 and 2023 when we really need that money the most. Aka, you're getting Yonder Alonso or any other average hitter that would cost 1/3rd of that. Again in a very Hahn move we could've just kept Navarez and applied $65-70mm elsewhere, but here we are. 

This isn't about 2020 since we're not winning any playoff series, so it's kind of a waste to get the best out of someone when it doesn't matter. 

Just my two cents. 

I'll take the signing, but it better not limit us in 2 years when it truly matters. 

Why couldn't this team win in 2020 with a couple more signings?

I think people overrate how far this team is away; they had absolute abortions at two positions that really drove down their win total last year. If you had average big leaguers at those spots, they're likely a 500 team.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

Thank you - haven't poured through the whole thread yet

No worries, didn't necessarily mean just this thread.  Its been talked about for months.  Some may say they don't want to rely on Collins in a DH time share, but if you fill RF with an above average bat, I think its OK.  Can also get Leury in LF some day and Eloy to DH.  Plenty of ways to not overexpose Collins.  

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why couldn't this team win in 2020 with a couple more signings?

I think people overrate how far this team is away; they had absolutely abortions at two positions that really drove down their win total last year. If you had average big leaguers at those spots, they're likely a 500 team.

Pitching wins championships. The lineup is going to be GOOD. still need pitching. 

36 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I would argue Wheeler is in a tier of his own, and I think he’s gonna get $100M. And I fear that this puts a wheeler in jeopardy.

MadBum/Keuchel/etc. are solid 3/4 starters. Getting one of those guys and calling it an offseason is exactly what I fear. 

Come on man, because it’s what the White Sox have always done. Get one 32 year old guy, and PR the fuck out of it. You’re gonna hear “we went and signed the richest contract in franchise history” a lot this year. 

Or we may just hear "we signed he 2 biggest contracts in franchise history this year."

17 minutes ago, mqr said:

Just having Puig and Tim Anderson to drive people nuts is enough reason for me to want him around. Let's play heel.

But fun heel, not like Astros heel.

Wasn't there a marketing slogan to that effect in the mid '90s or around the "good guys wear black" era, or am I making that up? Feel like there's definitely an opportunity to brand this as a young & fun team, in line with MLB's "let the kids play"

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Why on earth would you want to DH McCann?? Collins is obviously an unknown, but McCann is known...as a bad hitter. McCann has plenty of value to the Sox as a backup catcher, no need to overthink it as anything more 

McCann is WELL above average hitter against LHP. I think he will catch most of those days, but sticking him at DH occasionally against LHP isn't a bad play by any means.  

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Come on. Welington's best year was a 2 WAR season. 

Grandal is about 100 times better than Welington Castillo.

There’s no question he’s better than Wellington but he’s also getting paid MUCH more than Wellington was. You can’t completely discount the possibility of Grandal’s offense deteriorating in the relatively near future (particularly a known PED user, much like Welly). Hopefully it doesn’t deteriorate until year 4 rather than year 1 or 2.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

wait, do you really think Grandal and Wheeler make the Sox World Series contenders?

Add those two plus an impactful RF, a swingman, and some bullpen depth and I truly believe we can be next year with development from the right youngsters. No guarantees obviously given the youth of our team, but we’d have a team that should be a playoff contender with enough positive variances.  And let’s be honest, anything can happen if you make the playoffs.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

McCann is WELL above average hitter against LHP. I think he will catch most of those days, but sticking him at DH occasionally against LHP isn't a bad play by any means.  

Or since he will be the backup catcher, you stick him behind the plate and give Grandal a half day off at the DH spot. Lot of options.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

There’s no question he’s better than Wellington but he’s also getting paid MUCH more than Wellington was. You can’t completely discount the possibility of Grandal’s offense deteriorating in the relatively near future (particularly a known PED user, much like Welly). Hopefully it doesn’t deteriorate until year 4 rather than year 1 or 2.

Wellington was geting 10 million.. Grandal is getting 18

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Just my two cents. 

Not sure where you are getting the .320 OBP & 15 HRs from...he hasn't hit less than 22 HR since 2015 and his career OBP is .348.  He will get more ABs with the DH available so the HR numbers should increase, not decrease.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Grandal was a PED user 10 years ago. Maybe he still is, but citing that as reason to worry is odd given how long ago that happened.