WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Tony said Castellanos is 100% on the Sox radar.

Wow, that would be a fun lineup to watch, especially considering adding Robert and Madrigal.  Are the days of 7-9 in the lineup being near automatic outs coming to an end?

Law seems very into it.

Enough of their prospects have become productive major leaguers that you can see a championship core forming, with more prospects either just arriving (Dylan Cease) or about to do so (Luis Robert), but it wasn't likely to be enough even in a division that's probably the least competitive one through five of any in baseball. Adding the best catcher on the market in Yasmani Grandal was probably the best move they could make short of landing one of the aces available in free agency - and that's not to say they couldn't do that too.

ESPN +

Edited by DirtySox

39 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

Probably the guy who complained about this signing because Grandal is a “cheater” LOL

Nah Flavum is a true blue Sox fan through and through. One of the top posters here for many years. He just doesn't like cheaters. He isn't the vindictive silly guy who would do that.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why couldn't this team win in 2020 with a couple more signings?

I think people overrate how far this team is away; they had absolute abortions at two positions that really drove down their win total last year. If you had average big leaguers at those spots, they're likely a 500 team.

Astros, Yankees, Dodgers. That's why. Also add in Braves, Nationals, Rays, A's, BoSox to an extent, Cubs, etc. 

We may win. Hell sign a few more people in the offsesason, sign Madrigal and Robert to deals (or just bring them up and start their clock) and yes, in a perfect world we could win 85 games. I'm not here to win 85 games. I'm here to win World Series and that window begins in 2022. (2021 is an outside shot dependent on future trades, FA signings and progress of some of our young guys, mainly our arms - Kopech, Cease, Giolito, Dunning, etc.) I'd just rather spend money that makes sense for the 2022-2025 time frame. I'm okay with this signing, but i don't want to hear the Sox cry poor going into the 2021-2022 offseason. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Wow, that would be a fun lineup to watch, especially considering adding Robert and Madrigal.  Are the days of 7-9 in the lineup being near automatic outs coming to an end?

A lineup with Castellanos would be nuts...

1. Robert RH

2. Madrigal RH

3. Moncada SWITCH

4. Jiminez RH

5. Abreu RH

6. Grandal SWITCH

7. Castellanos RH

8. Collins LH

9. Anderson RH

That's actually not even bad balance. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

Astros, Yankees, Dodgers. That's why. Also add in Braves, Nationals, Rays, A's, BoSox to an extent, Cubs, etc. 

We may win. Hell sign a few more people in the offsesason, sign Madrigal and Robert to deals (or just bring them up and start their clock) and yes, in a perfect world we could win 85 games. I'm not here to win 85 games. I'm here to win World Series and that window begins in 2022. (2021 is an outside shot dependent on future trades, FA signings and progress of some of our young guys, mainly our arms - Kopech, Cease, Giolito, Dunning, etc.) I'd just rather spend money that makes sense for the 2022-2025 time frame. I'm okay with this signing, but i don't want to hear the Sox cry poor going into the 2021-2022 offseason. 

Win the Central and anything can happen. 

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

A lineup with Castellanos would be nuts...

1. Robert RH

2. Madrigal RH

3. Moncada SWITCH

4. Jiminez RH

5. Abreu RH

6. Grandal SWITCH

7. Castellanos RH

8. Collins LH

9. Anderson RH

That's actually not even bad balance. 

When's the last time a reigning batting champ batted 9th?  I'm not being critical, I'm just saying WOW!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, mqr said:

Win the Central and anything can happen. 

You have to start somewhere.  It is pretty rare to jump out of nowhere, win the division, win the WS without some lumps.  Cubs, Astros, even the Nationals all had some losing in the playoffs before they won. 

Just now, mqr said:

Also, I dare say I'm starting to come around on the idea that the Sox were actually being smart in the way they valued Machado, if they are going to actually use that money in a productive fashion. 

IF, and it's a big IF Hahn assumed Moncada would blossom at 3B and they could get Grandal & Wheeler basically with that money he wins GM of the year, hands down. 

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

2021 is an outside shot? Come on man. This is just pure nonsense.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m in the Eminor camp on this one. Prefer the big money be spent towards pitching and I sure hope this doesn’t prevent them from doing so...

I don't think there are necessarily divided camps.  I totally understood the importance of Grandal yet I posted scenarios with and without him because I always thought pitching should be priority one. But this is a great signing and there is still room for a guy like Wheeler and maybe a MIley. It might limit other position player signings however. Probably won't spend on a DH now and RF might not be a high priority either.