WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

35 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Not sure where you are getting the .320 OBP & 15 HRs from...he hasn't hit less than 22 HR since 2015 and his career OBP is .348.  He will get more ABs with the DH available so the HR numbers should increase, not decrease.

I'm saying at the end of his contract .. so his ages 33 and 34. Look at Catcher historical results -- even the best like Posey really age poorly. Mauer is another example. Of course I hope it doesn't happen and maybe it will be less if we have him at DH a bit more over these next few years. But I think there's a real shot his HR total and ability to get on base drops with age and you're stuck then paying a big tab for a DH and occasional backup catcher. 

• Haha 1

Fun start to off-season, but regular season matters most.  Grandal certainly is a proven guy, hopefully his body can hold up as he is a big overall upgrade in the lineup (and I think there is still plenty of opportunity for McCann still too, who is a very good defensive catcher in his own right).  Will be interesting to see whether Collins becomes trade bait.  Hard to say with Collins since he made a lot of strides late last year (swing looked like it might actually play after the adjustments made).  

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

I love the idea of Robert as lead off, a la Springer/Acuna.  Moncada would be my 2 since he is the perfect 2 hole hitter.  Madrigal at 9 as your second leadoff guy.

They’re going to start him off low in the order and tamp down the pressure/expectations as much as possible.

Down the line he gets more comfortable and confident at the big league level, sure.   At the very least, he’s putting up numbers similar to Mike Cameron early in his career.  As long as the K rate is less than 35-40%, he’ll be fine.   He just can’t be Brian Anderson hitting in the 625-675 OPS range, at least not longer term.

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'm saying at the end of his contract .. so his ages 33 and 34. Look at Catcher historical results -- even the best like Posey really age poorly. Mauer is another example. Of course I hope it doesn't happen and maybe it will be less if we have him at DH a bit more over these next few years. But I think there's a real shot his HR total and ability to get on base drops with age and you're stuck then paying a big tab for a DH and occasional backup catcher. 

When Realmuto and Sal Perez are your best options after 2020...this type of go for broke move was necessitated because waiting and hoping on Realmuto...who at least 50/50 resigns with Philly, that’s just as much of a risk because who’s their starting catcher then if that falls through?

In the end, both Narvaez and Collins weren’t good enough...nor was wishing, hoping and praying on a McCann repeat.

If this goes south, or those three players all go on to successful careers outside of Chicago and Grandal has a swift fall-off...that will be the time to have that conversation.

This is one of those moves that also puts the nail in the coffin for Hahn OR makes him GM of the Year.  We’ll see...but it’s the first real risk they have taken since signing LUIS Robert and trading the Big 3 to kick off the rebuild.

I wouldn’t worry about the fourth year of the contract. Why? Because I’d sign Grandal to a three-year, $73 million contract. There are only a few players with an All-Star baseline available to sign every year.

This is exactly the type of move the White Sox should be making. They’re not close enough that they have to furiously attempt to fill every last hole with expensive veteran role players, but teams in their position should sign players they aren’t likely to create themselves. Even the hardest-core Zack Collins fan would be hard-pressed to suggest that there’s a high probability of him sticking at catcher and being as valuable overall as Grandal’s projections.

We’ll have more on analysis on Grandal’s deal a little later, but for now I’ll close by saying that while the White Sox have more work to do, this is an excellent start to the offseason.

More at the Link.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs/yasmani-grandal-gets-his-multi-year-deal/

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 2

7aaad06adb981b39785812c160e8c139.png

Grandal was an easily recommendable hire by virtue of being almost certainly the best catcher available in free agency, with an argument for either Jason Castro or Travis d’Arnaud a rather tough one to make in this writer’s opinion. On our list of the Top 50 Free Agents for 2020, Grandal was ranked sixth overall. As J.D. Martinez decided not to opt-out from his deal with the Red Sox, Grandal is the first top 10 free agent to sign this winter.

Grandal’s not young (he turned 31 a couple of weeks ago), but he also doesn’t have an obscene number of innings behind the plate. Even adding in his minor league record, Grandal knee-odometer has fewer than 900 professional catching starts on them. (Contrast that with players like Buster Posey at nearly 1,100 at the same age and Yadier Molina around 1,300.)

Grandal’s numbers have been consistently excellent across three organizations. And if something happens to move him from behind the plate in the third or fourth years of the contract, he’s a good enough hitter that he’ll have value elsewhere.

I wouldn’t worry about the fourth year of the contract. Why? Because I’d sign Grandal to a three-year, $73 million contract. There are only a few players with an All-Star baseline available to sign every year.

This is exactly the type of move the White Sox should be making. They’re not close enough that they have to furiously attempt to fill every last hole with expensive veteran role players, but teams in their position should sign players they aren’t likely to create themselves. Even the hardest-core Zack Collins fan would be hard-pressed to suggest that there’s a high probability of him sticking at catcher and being as valuable overall as Grandal’s projections.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs/yasmani-grandal-gets-his-multi-year-deal/

The ZIPS projections (fwiw) have Grandal easily exceeding the value of his contract. The note about how many innings Grandal has caught given his age seems relevant, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I was so upset about missing on Machado. But now that seems like the best thing that could have happened.

Me too, but psyched about this offseason now and looking forward to the next moves. For me, last year is forgotten.

7 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Me too, but psyched about this offseason now and looking forward to the next moves. For me, last year is forgotten.

I have the memory of a good closer....forget about last offseason...sign Wheeler soon and I will break out in a happy dance.  Although this move was so under the radar that I have no clue what they are going to do next.  But I am very excited to find out.

So a general question here and there's 1 or 2 people who have brought this up...some people have suggested that (even excluding the playoffs where he had the yips series), the Dodgers didn't like his fielding nearly as much as the advanced metrics, which adore him. Does anyone have any extra ability to add reading or info on that?