WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That was McNeil who asked the question. 

"How aware are you of how far down on the pecking order the White Sox are in this town? even when they're winning they don't get on the front page."

What is the point of asking that question?

Have another drink McNeil......what a POS 💩

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think this move signals several things:

• Grandal is effectively our DH addition even though he’ll play 100+ games at catcher
  • Collins will be the primary DH against RHP to open next year and will likely only get a little time at catcher
  • McCann will be the primary backup catcher next year, primarily against LHP and when Giolito starts (Grandal will DH most of these days)
  • Mercedes is the contingency plan at 3rd catcher / DH in the event Collins flops

Still need to read through all of this, but I like this a lot if he's playing mostly at C, with DH still sort of being a flex spot, but likely a rotation with Abreu, Grandal, McCann and Collins (still very early to predict)

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Might has well use his framing while you can. Once they go to robo umps, framing becomes irrelevant.

I really don't think we see robo umps at any point during Grandal's contract. I like them and I want to see them, but they probably don't come any earlier than 2025. 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Nova will make an excellent 6th starter mop up guy next year if he wants to continue as a Sox and the price is right.

A guy not named Tommy John who takes the ball every fifth day is worth millions.

Love the signing; the can certainly keep McCann, but he also gives them a good piece to for a trade for a RF or a #4 starter.

Astros could use a catcher.  Unfortunately, they don't have a RF that would fit.  I wonder if they could trade him for someone like Peacock?

Edited by GreenSox

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Keep McCann.  Having two legit catchers is huge for a team that lacks depth elsewhere and Grandal is so good against lefties he can be used as a 1B/DH twice a week.

Agreed. Especially to start the season. Maybe the Mercedes/Collins thing works out and another team goes after McCann in July and we get some bullpen help.

• Like 1

Grandal’s contract now represents the largest contract ever handed out by the team, just besting the previous one given to Abreu by $5M.

Yet if you add Grandal’s & Abreu’s contracts together, you’ll see that the total is still less than the largest single contracts given out by 19 other teams.   And, in fact, 25 other teams have given larger contracts than the one Grandal just signed.                                                                              

So a great signing and a wonderful addition to this team at this time, but still a ways to go on “The money will be spent” promise.   

• Like 3

I know it’s the largest contract, but is Grandal the “biggest” signing in terms of splash, significance, caliber of player, etc in Sox history as well? The only other one I can think of his Dunn. Let’s hope this goes a lot better...

Edited by soxfan3530
  • Haha 1