WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

He is on the correct side of the platoon but his ops was .505 vs lhp.  Probably presumptuous to say cheaper as he put up 3.3 war but several of these options will be available so supply may exceed demand?

i see peralta had shoulder surgery so that scares me. Not gonna want to give much for possible damaged goods 

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

Peralta is very good against RH pitching. Since he will be a free agent in 2021, he would satisfy the shorter term commitment goal. What do you think it would take to acquire him? Who would you consider a plausible "fringe guy"? How good is his arm, for RF? 

I believe he has an above average arm. Won a GG this year, not that means a ton, but he’s an above average defender. 

Ive suggested Luis Gonzalez and Codi Heuer elsewhere as the return. Don’t think it would make much more than that. There is some talk that Az may just non tender him. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I believe he has an above average arm. Won a GG this year, not that means a ton, but he’s an above average defender. 

Ive suggested Luis Gonzalez and Codi Heuer elsewhere as the return. Don’t think it would make much more than that. There is some talk that Az may just non tender him. 

Definitely worth looking into as long as you wait until after Dec. 2nd. No need to make any trade offers before then.

20 hours ago, Capital G said:

Such a great signing that takes care of so much.

Takes care of C and DH.

Adds a LH bat.

Add an OBP guy.

Adds leadership and play-off experience.

Shows other FA that we mean business.

“I don’t care where I’m going as long as I see a future in the pitching staff,” Grandal said during Thursday’s conference call. “If I see that I can help that pitching staff, for me that’s pretty much No. 1. So, their sales pitch was: Look at the young arms we have, look at the guys we have coming up. We have an opportunity here to win, and we think you can help them out.”

“Even if you just look at the team and the core, there’s a lot of young talent,” Grandal said during his Thursday conference call. “The way that I looked at it, this team could be a dark horse in the next year or so.”

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2019/11/22/grandal-signing-abreu-extension-signal-that-the-white-sox-refuse-to-lose-again-this-winter/

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

lost in the Grandal lovefest (me included) is the fact that we will NEVER HAVE TO ENDURE A DANIEL PALKA at-bat ever again

Daniel Palka...Nicky Delmonico...Yolmer Sanchez...Trace Thompson...Leury Garcia...Adam Engel...Zack Collins etc.  I think we must have lead the league in likeable players who struggle.

McCann  2019 stats   - 273 BA, 18 HR and 26 Doubles   3.8 WAR  - $2.5 Million dollars

James was a Right-Center field hitting doubles machine, had numerous clutch game winning hits. He was arguably  a key factor in Giolito's pitch selection and improvement. So the benefit from the addition of Grandal, while unquestionable, is only relative to what Grandal will probably accomplish in 2020.  It should be an improvement, but not a day and night improvement over what McCann accomplished  in 2019 (and certainly not for the money he was paid).

So we have  a better catcher now with Grandal.  However, given McCann's abilities and value, why sit him on the bench for so many games while Grandal catches?

Is his value to the team as a player or as a trade chip maximized by having him as a back-up catcher and part-time DH....all the while relegating Collins as third option or back to the minors.  ?

If your answer is no, then perhaps McCann should be placed on the trading block at the winter meetings.  Get something for him in trade and let Collins or Mercedes fill the back up role for  40 games.

6 minutes ago, tray said:

McCann  2019 stats   - 273 BA, 18 HR and 26 Doubles   3.8 WAR  - $2.5 Million dollars

James was a Right-Center field hitting doubles machine, had numerous clutch game winning hits. He was arguably  a key factor in Giolito's pitch selection and improvement. So the benefit from the addition of Grandal, while unquestionable, is only relative to what Grandal will probably accomplish in 2020.  It should be an improvement, but not a day and night improvement over what McCann accomplished  in 2019 (and certainly not for the money he was paid).

So we have  a better catcher now with Grandal.  However, given McCann's abilities and value, why sit him on the bench for so many games while Grandal catches?

Is his value to the team as a player or as a trade chip maximized by having him as a back-up catcher and part-time DH....all the while relegating Collins as third option or back to the minors.  ?

If your answer is no, then perhaps McCann should be placed on the trading block at the winter meetings.  Get something for him in trade and let Collins or Mercedes fill the back up role for  40 games.

You are over estimating McCann's ability far too greatly. James McCann is an MLB back up catcher. His insanely lucky 2019 season is an outlier. 

5 minutes ago, tray said:

McCann serves a purpose on this roster, the trade you could get in return for him would be less than his worth to us in my opinion. He will be Giolitos personal catcher and can fill in at DH occasionally 

McCann serves a purpose on this roster, the trade you could get in return for him would be less than his worth to us in my opinion.

He had his best year in 2019 and was an All-Star.

So why not sell high given the fact that he will not be the primary starting catcher on our club  and he is essentially displacing Collins as the back-up?

He is a prime trade target for teams looking to get a relatively low cost (assuming he can be signed to a short term deal) answer at the catching position.

Edited by tray

25 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Daniel Palka...Nicky Delmonico...Yolmer Sanchez...Trace Thompson...Leury Garcia...Adam Engel...Zack Collins etc.  I think we must have lead the league in likeable players who struggle.

Don't lump Collins in with that mess. A.J. Reed... that's a better one.

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

You are over estimating McCann's ability far too greatly. James McCann is an MLB back up catcher. His insanely lucky 2019 season is an outlier. 

He changed his approach. Maybe he regresses, but to dismiss the year he had as an anomaly and nothing more is short changing adjustments players make. His success came from hitting the other way, something he’s admitted to not doing very often previously. 

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Hey hey what's Collins doing in that list ? Moncada struggled mightily as did Giolito so much so that people started writing them off and they are are a big part of why the rebuild could succeed. Collins was never a fringe player who got year after year of chances to succeed like the rest of those guys you listed. How would you like it if when Madrigal struggles in 100 AB I put him in a list like the rest of those guys >  FUlmer yea I'd understand but not Collins, :)

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Actually you don't know that and neither does anyone else. It's your best guess based on a 2nd half that wasn't as good as his 1st half  and his career up to that point.. Of course with Grandal we may never know because he won't be getting full time AB's any more.

8 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

He changed his approach. Maybe he regresses, but to dismiss the year he had as an anomaly and nothing more is short changing adjustments players make. His success came from hitting the other way, something he’s admitted to not doing very often previously. 

Preach brother !

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Actually you don't know that and neither does anyone else. It's your best guess based on a 2nd half that wasn't as good as his 1st half  and his career up to that point.. Of course with Grandal we may never know because he won't be getting full time AB's any more.

I think McCann will get more starts than people think.  Rotating through catcher/DH and backup is meant to keep all of them fresher.  Grandal and McCann both wore down during the long season.  During the last month McCann got hit in the nuts in every game it seemed.

33 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Yep, and he was overplayed for a good while, which seemed to leave him gassed in the second half. I think McCann and Grandal both being here will prevent them both from getting gassed too early.