WHITE SOX SIGN Grandal 4/$73, Palka DFAd

Whisox05

27 minutes ago, tray said:

McCann becomes a FA is 2021. I think his trade value is maximized right now. He in probably our biggest (expendable) trading chip.

What an you really going to get for McCann though?  Nothing that moves the needle.  And I honestly feel like McCann maximizes Grandal's impact on this particular roster.  Grandal has also struggled late in seasons, likely due to fatigue.  I absolutely love the Grandal/McCann tandem.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Castillo + Delmonico + Reed + Cordell + Skole + Rondon + Tilson + Jay + Alonso + Palka = - 3.8 oWar

I really hope that the days of a portal between AAA and Bridgeport are over. 

Yup, that's been the worst thing about White Sox Baseball for the past 3+ years or so.

Seeing these guys come up who have no shot at being MLB'rs, but just getting reps in before the young prospects come up. It's been frustrating and boring.

I don't want to have one of those on the starting line up this year. 

3 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Yup, that's been the worst thing about White Sox Baseball for the past 3+ years or so.

Seeing these guys come up who have no shot at being MLB'rs, but just getting reps in before the young prospects come up. It's been frustrating and boring.

I don't want to have one of those on the starting line up this year. 

You're in luck.  Not a single one of them remain in the org. 

3 hours ago, tray said:

McCann becomes a FA is 2021. I think his trade value is maximized right now. He in probably our biggest (expendable) trading chip.

The reason he is a good trade chip is he is a good player.  I know he might be sent packing but personally I love having a strong catching core...not just Grandal.

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

What an you really going to get for McCann though?  Nothing that moves the needle.  And I honestly feel like McCann maximizes Grandal's impact on this particular roster.  Grandal has also struggled late in seasons, likely due to fatigue.  I absolutely love the Grandal/McCann tandem.

They have one of the best catching tandems in the game right now. What’s wrong with having depth at a position?

17 minutes ago, pcq said:

I see about 85 games at C for Yaz. Nice rotation to have. 

I posted this in the Collins thread, but it kind of got lost in the shuffle. What do you guys think about this as a breakdown, assuming we don't sign anybody for DH? Games played at that position are in parenthesis.

Catcher:  Grandal (90), McCann (50), Collins (22)

DH:  Collins (60), Abreu (38), Grandal (32), McCann (32)

1B:  Abreu (120), Grandal (30), Collins (12)

35 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I posted this in the Collins thread, but it kind of got lost in the shuffle. What do you guys think about this as a breakdown, assuming we don't sign anybody for DH? Games played at that position are in parenthesis.

Catcher:  Grandal (90), McCann (50), Collins (22)

DH:  Collins (60), Abreu (38), Grandal (32), McCann (32)

1B:  Abreu (120), Grandal (30), Collins (12)

The biggest concern is whether Collins can maintain his offensive rhythm without regular playing time...that said, if he's facing mostly favorable pitching match-ups (and almost no LHP), it will allow him to build up some confidence, not unlike how Ozzie protected Viciedo against tough RHP before his first (and best) full season in 2012.

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The biggest concern is whether Collins can maintain his offensive rhythm without regular playing time...that said, if he's facing mostly favorable pitching match-ups (and almost no LHP), it will allow him to build up some confidence, not unlike how Ozzie protected Viciedo against tough RHP before his first (and best) full season in 2012.

With my breakdown, I have Collins and McCann both getting somewhere between 80 and 100 games. I think if one of them gets hot early (like McCann last year), that guy will start to take at bats away from other one.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Seems about right. Maybe a tad heavy on the McCann DH starts, but this should be a decent blueprint for the time share. Also think Sox will get Eloy in the DH rotation occasionally. 

22 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I’m think Grandal catches 100 games. McCann stays as Giolito’s personal catcher and gets the remaining games, maybe he catches Cease too.

Both guys will get ample time at DH and McCann can be deployed as a PH too against LHPS. 

If Giolito insists on McCann...that's cool...but I think Grandal can be a great resource for Cease to get better. It's amazing what a great framer can do...especially for a pitcher looking to take that next step.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

I'd think Mercedes is the 26th man on the roster on opening day, as long as he doesn't lay an egg in ST.

I think Collins will be as currently constructed. Having the extra RHH doesn't really make sense. Vs LHP they can go: McCann at C, Grandal at DH and Abreu at 1B. Vs RHP: Collins at DH with Grandal at C and Abreu at 1B. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think Collins will be as currently constructed. Having the extra RHH doesn't really make sense. Vs LHP they can go: McCann at C, Grandal at DH and Abreu at 1B. Vs RHP: Collins at DH with Grandal at C and Abreu at 1B. 

I might still be in the minority here, but if we don't land both Wheeler and someone like Castellanos, Collins may be trade bait for a SP/OF.